Best resource for station amenities for the entire zephyr journey

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deBASHmode

Train Attendant
Hello - I'm starting my first Amtrak journey July 3, eastbound on the Zephyr from end to end. From reading here, I understand not to expect the timetable to represent reality, but if there's a chance to hop off the train to grab snacks/food at a station, I'll want to take advantage. I've seen bulleted lists of certain amenities at each station (restrooms, vending, etc.), but would love to know if there's a good central resource for more extensive detail. It would suck to have to Google each station... ;) Thanks for any resources you can recommend.

From a grateful n00b,
Bash

#6's scheduled stop at Denver is 30 minutes long, and if on-time can arrive nearly 30 minutes early. Scheduled stop is from 6:38 PM to 7:10 PM. Enough time to get Uber Eats or head into the station. I believe there are restaurants including an ice cream place nearby, but I don't have details. This would be your best bet.

#6's scheduled stop at Denver is 30 minutes long, and if on-time can arrive nearly 30 minutes early. Scheduled stop is from 6:38 PM to 7:10 PM. Enough time to get Uber Eats or head into the station. I believe there are restaurants including an ice cream place nearby, but I don't have details. This would be your best bet.
When we were there a few years ago, ice cream place was inside the station. There were also places to get food both inside and within a block of the station.

In 2014 there was a small store inside the station at Grand Junction. They sold snacks and some food that could be microwaved on site. It was very popular with passengers and I think I have heard it is still open. Grand Junction is a crew change point and the train should be there for 10 or 15 minutes. I assume the crew makes an announcement inside the station when the train is about to leave but others may know for sure.

The ice cream place in the Denver station is really good, if that's the kind of snack you like. It's worth it to take a look at the station interior anyway--it's been beautifully rehabilitated. I'd also suggest bringing along a few snacks from home--like nuts, cookies, cheese, etc. if you are at all fussy about what you eat. (Full disclosure: I mostly am, husband mostly is not.) And, in case you are interested in adult beverages, they are available for purchase on the train, but you can also bring your own to consume in the bedroom, though not in the lounge or diner.

The Coffee shop in Denver Union Station is also quite good. Typical coffee shop bakery setup so you can also grab a pastry or something as well.

Last time I was there they also sold a few souvenirs items with the Denver union station logo.

Denver is really the only option unless the Grand Junction snack shop is still open. I had heard it closed but not sure.

The Coffee shop in Denver Union Station is also quite good. Typical coffee shop bakery setup so you can also grab a pastry or something as well.

Last time I was there they also sold a few souvenirs items with the Denver union station logo.

Denver is really the only option unless the Grand Junction snack shop is still open. I had heard it closed but not sure.
I agree that Denver is probably the only option if the Grand Junction store is closed. I was last in Denver Union Station when the renovations were still ongoing but I think it is a high rent district so I doubt that food there is a bargain but others would know for sure.

Salt Lake City is about a half hour stop but I am not aware that there is much around the station, esp. places that would be open at 3 a.m.

In my experience there is hardly any time to explore inside most Amtrak stations en-route. The exceptions mentioned above which have longer station stops are Denver, and the little snack place at Grand Junction. Do ask your conductor how long you have got, or you might get left behind!
I find it sensible to bring a few snacks onto the train with me, saves those hunger pangs in the middle of nowhere at 2am... :D

Definitely hop off in Denver. High quality take-out snacks (ice cream, pastries, sandwiches, etc.) available there from a few places inside the station. Or, if you get in early and are in the mood, you could even enjoy a nice drink at the impressive bar in the central hall of Union Station!

If you ask Amtrak staff they usually say they're about to leave any minute now but that is not always true. Back when Amtrak routinely published full route schedules it was easy to know how long you had. Return to the platform five minutes before published departure and you were good. Apparently the schedules are no longer updated in a timely fashion and may be stale today. I believe Amtrak status maps still has the correct departure times from their raw data feed.

http://dixielandsoftware.net

The main thing to watch out for in Denver is that the train departures are only announced in the corner where waiting benches are provided. I've never seen them get in and out of Denver in under 30 minutes (fueling, watering, big turnover in coaches, checked baggage) but stay alert. We'd like to have you stop over in Denver but only if you planned to do so.

2015 Mar-Apr 029k wpe and dus dusk.jpg
2014 May - June 075.jpg

And take a look at the silver Moffat Cup on display opposite the Amtrak ticket counter.

P1050854 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back