Best roomettes on 49?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi all,

I will be taking 49 between NYP and Chicago next week in a roomette. I have heard that the left side of the train is the best side for views of the Hudson, but what roomette numbers are usually on the left side? If possible, I'd like to call Amtrak and change my roomette #. I'm in car 4912 in #002.

TIA!

The Viewliners on #49 are on the end of the train ( with the Baggage Car behind them) from NYP- ALB and also after the Boston Section #449 is switched to the combined train #49/#449 from ALB- CHI.

You Sleeper will be the Second one in the consist after #4911, which is behind the Diner. Since the H BedRoom is always hooked up next to the vestibule between cars, the chances of Roomette #2 ( considered a good room, middle of car) being on the left side going up the Hudson are a lock!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Viewliners on #49 are on the end of the train ( with the Baggage Car behind them) from NYP- ALB and also after the Boston Section #449 is switched to the combined train #49/#449 from ALB- CHI.

You Sleeper will be the Second one in the consist after #4911, which is behind the Diner. Since the H BedRoom is always hooked up next to the vestibule between cars, the chances of Roomette #2 ( considered a good room, middle of car) being on the left side going up the Hudson are a lock!!
Let me add my two cents: I'm headed BOS to CHI on #449 in September. Roomette #4 in car 4920. Also on the left? I know I'm right next to #2, but is the orientation of the car the same on the BOS to ALB part?

On my trips on #449 from BOS- CHI the Viewliner Sleeper ( there is only 1 on the #449/#448 Sections) was behind the baggage car on the front of the train from ALB- CHI after the switching to the #49 Section in ALB!

It was hooked up with the H Room and Bedrooms in the Front, and the Roomettes towards the back and the Boston Coaches, so your chances are good that the odd numbered roomettes will be on the left side and the even #s on the right!

BTW- you will have a Looooong walk from your Sleeper to the Cafe/Lounge and Diner( 7-8 Cars) which are in front of the NY Section! ( Dinner is served to BOS pax after leaving Albany) The Diner and Lounge come from NYP to ALB on #49 and there is no cafe/ Lounge from BOS-ALB on #449 so the Boston Sleeping Car pax get some kind of cold lunch, probably a boxed dinner between BOS and ALB? The scenery is nice through the Berkshires,I've always had good crews on the LakeShore, you'll like this route! The only problems are the OTP, freight congestion is a problem on the water level route!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back