Best seating side on Cascades from VAC to SEA?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barbara

We're taking the Cascades from Vancouver to Seattle in late August. Is seating on the right side of the train better than on the left - or vice versa? This maybe our one and only chance to ride this train and we want it to be the most scenic experience possible. Thank you!!

Yes. Going south, you want to be on the right side of the train. That is the side that will be facing the water. It is a beautiful trip no matter what side you're on. Enjoy.

We're taking the Cascades from Vancouver to Seattle in late August. Is seating on the right side of the train better than on the left - or vice versa? This maybe our one and only chance to ride this train and we want it to be the most scenic experience possible. Thank you!!
Hi, seats are assigned at the station in Vancouver before you board the train. So they are issued on a first come first serve basis. I always make it a point to get there early, you can board as early as 4:30 for the train which leaves at 5:45.

The train goes south and goes along the water for a lot of the way and you get beautiful views over the bays when you sit on the "water side" which is your right hand side facing forward on the train.

They do seat you on the water side if you are there early to get the good seats. However you might end up with obstructed windows even if you are on the water side, you know what I mean, where the curtain/division part extends into your seat section, I hate that!

One thing you can do is go sit in the lounge, you might as well go hog your best lounge seat early, facing forward on the right hand side.

I don't know what kind of equipment you will have on that trip, right now it is Superliners, they are ever so nice. Someday they will be replaced by Talgos which are being refurbished, but I've heard estimates of that happening as far ahead as October and as soon as July.

Also right now there is just the one train that leaves in the late afternoon, but by the time you go I suppose it's possible that the new morning train service might be in operation? I do not know exactly when that is supposed to be added but "this year" for sure.

You will love the scenery along the water, it is really great.

What will you be doing in Vancouver? I can maybe help you with tips for things to do and how to get around there. I spend a lot of time there, my boyfriend lives there.

The tracks going into Seattle on the Cascades , are they the same as the EB?
EB follows the Cascades Route NORTH of Seattle as far as Everett, then turns inland.

That section also has beautiful views of Puget Sound, right along the Edge of the Water.

As does the rest of the Cascades route, all the way North to the Canadian Border and beyond.

Also true South of Seattle between Tacoma and Olympia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back