Best sounding horns amtrak has used. Open for debate!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bgiaquin

Service Attendant
What are your opinions on the best sounding horn type that Amtrak has used over the years? My top two are the K5LA and a close second is the Nathan P01235 on the E60s

K5LA all the way! It has such a distinct and smooth chime that sounds great both off and on the train.

Now for a question of horn history-what type of horn do we hear on the 20th Century Limited in North by Northwest? It sounds great and Hitchcock in his typical fashion uses it to add to the setting.

Whatever the old F-40's had. They were very distinct, and to me, growing up near the KC-STL Mopac mainline, that horn IS Amtrak. The new ones sound just like a lot of freight horns, the old ones, you could tell it was a passenger train.

I like those 5 chime horns (K5LA is it?), but I also like the classic bass single note horn from the GG-1's as well..... :cool:

Whatever the old F-40's had. They were very distinct, and to me, growing up near the KC-STL Mopac mainline, that horn IS Amtrak. The new ones sound just like a lot of freight horns, the old ones, you could tell it was a passenger train.
I am in total agreement, it had a higher pitch like that of a steam locomotive.

So Olympian Hiawatha......, Doesn't look like you're going to get an answer to the North by Northwest Twentieth Century Limited horn question.

I've tried to research it, since that is one of my favorite movies, but can't find the answer.

What type horn Did Hitchcock use for that movie?

Edit Spelling

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back