Best station for Sea World Orlando

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to figure out what the best station is to use for Sea World Orlando. I am staying across the street at Hilton Garden Inn, so I just need to figure out if there will be more access to taxis at Orlando or if Kissimmee is closer but you have to call the taxi. Anyone have any suggestions?

I do not know the exact mileage, but I am pretty sure that the Orlando station will be closer to Sea World. There are always cabs and vans (from Florida Van Pool) at the Orlando station. I assume that there are cabs in Kissimmee also, but I am not sure. There is also a city bus that goes to Sea World.

I have taken the train to Orlando many times and I always get off at Orlando and take the Lynx bus wherever I need to go. The bus that goes from Downtown Orlando to Disney World (Bus #50 I think) stops at Sea World. The Lynx Bus departs from right outside the Amtrak Station every hour, and you will have to transfer at the Lynx Terminal but it's like $1.25 (transfer is free, just ask for a transfer when you board the bus).

If you prefer the taxi route, I'm sure that the ride isn't any longer from Orlando, probably a bit shorter, and as you said Taxis will be waiting at the station.

Nope. The bus that leaves RIGHT outside Amtrak is bus 40. That will take you straight to Universal Studios and does NOT stop near Sea World. Bus 50 does, but it doesn't stop anywhere near the Amtrak station. You have two options if you choose to take the bus ...

Take the NORTH bound 40 to Lynx Central Station and transfer to the 50. Bus 40 operates once an hour in each direction. The north bound typically is at the top of the hour and the southbound is typically at the bottom of the hour.

If you miss this bus by mere minutes, you can walk about a half mile East to Orange avenue where you can catch the 7 or 11 north to the LCS and get on the 50.

If you have any inclination to ride Lynx, become intimately familiar with the appropriate routes and the website. If you have a smart phone with GPS. you can follow your progress and map your routes with google maps.

Orlando is the best station. There is more activity there. From either station a cab will cost around $50-$60 but will make that 2 hour bus trip in about 30 minutes tops.

Nope. The bus that leaves RIGHT outside Amtrak is bus 40. That will take you straight to Universal Studios and does NOT stop near Sea World. Bus 50 does, but it doesn't stop anywhere near the Amtrak station. You have two options if you choose to take the bus ...

Take the NORTH bound 40 to Lynx Central Station and transfer to the 50. Bus 40 operates once an hour in each direction. The north bound typically is at the top of the hour and the southbound is typically at the bottom of the hour.

If you miss this bus by mere minutes, you can walk about a half mile East to Orange avenue where you can catch the 7 or 11 north to the LCS and get on the 50.

If you have any inclination to ride Lynx, become intimately familiar with the appropriate routes and the website. If you have a smart phone with GPS. you can follow your progress and map your routes with google maps.

Orlando is the best station. There is more activity there. From either station a cab will cost around $50-$60 but will make that 2 hour bus trip in about 30 minutes tops.
I am not good with buses, so as I am going to be there two days, I figured I would go ahead and rent a car. I rent with Budget rent-a-car and there is a rental office that should be close to the station and the lady I talked to said that if I call they will come pick me up at the station when I get in. It is about double the cost of a taxi, but then I have wheels to explore the area. Having never been to the Orlando area, only visited Tampa when I was a kid, I might take a day trip and explore parts of Florida.

Does anyone have any suggestions for short 2-3 hour trips around the Orlando area? I am getting in on a Monday afternoon and leaving on Wednesday @ 7:24p, I was planning on doing Sea World on Tuesday, so I should have enough time on either Monday or Wednesday to travel somewhere. I am not sure I want to try Disney by myself. But maybe?

Orlando is definitely closer to Sea World than Kissimmee. Amd much easier to get to.

What kind of things interest you? It would make it easier to make suggestions on things to see / do.

Also, while Disney seems intimidating; if you can handle Sea World, you can handle Disney. It's October and during the week, the crowds will be lighter than most times of the year. And their theme parks are some of the top in the world.

There is an Enterprise Rental agency not too far from the station (on E. Colonial Drive) that will also pick you up. As mentioned, Hertz has a counter in the station.

I would not be too concerned about going to Disney alone. Last time I checked, parking was $14.00. The signage is pretty good, but the place is gigantic, which might be a bit overwhelming.

Universal Studios is also located in Orlando.

There are museums in Orlando proper and in Winter Park, if you choose to leave the "tourist area."

BTW - I dislike driving in the tourist area because of the "tourists" who do not know where they are going and can be dangerous. I tend to not rent cars when visiting other cities because I worry about getting lost when I when I am not sure where I am going. However, Orlando is not an easy place to get around by public transportation.

Orlando is definitely closer to Sea World than Kissimmee. Amd much easier to get to.

What kind of things interest you? It would make it easier to make suggestions on things to see / do.

Also, while Disney seems intimidating; if you can handle Sea World, you can handle Disney. It's October and during the week, the crowds will be lighter than most times of the year. And their theme parks are some of the top in the world.

I am into animals, I rescue cats and am a huge animal welfare advocate. thus the trip to Sea World is #1 on my list. I will have a GPS and am very good with navigating thru new places usually. I will be on vacation so if I get lost, I get lost, at some point I will stop and ask directions back to where I want to be. LOL Anyway, Maybe I will try disney, I can pretend I am a kid again and at 54, why not. I would not want to say I was in Orlando for 3 days and not go at least by it.

As far as the WSC, I am not into science and stuff like that so it would not be somewhere I would want to go, but it was a good idea. I know I want to see some ocean at some point while I am there. I live in New England and rarely get to the ocean even though it is a short trip. But I am taking the train trip of a lifetime in April and May, so when I get there the first week of May, I will be there to just have fun.

June,

Disney is so much more than an "amusement park". In fact, the Magic Kingdom which is just 1 of the 4 major parks, is the closest thing to an amusement park. I'm 51 and I just went to Disney this summer; granted I was with my brother & sister and their respective families with nieces & nephews. But I've also gone without kids too.

I would say that if you do decide to go that you try Epcot, over the other parks. Although with you having mentioned animals, you might also wish to consider Animal Kingdom too. Either, I suspect, would be a good choice that could easily fill a day for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back