Best time to go west

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greg1956a

Train Attendant
Thanks to Room for all your help

Finally decided when to go out west

Was wondering if leaving last week in Oct

Would I still be able to see all the sights

Taking SWC WB then CS toward Emeryville

Then CZ BACK to phila

Thanks again for your help

GreGreg

Which sights do you want to see? Are you planning on coach travel or a roomette?

How many days total for your trip?

Depending on how many days you spend in the west, you might see some snow on the eastbound trip in Colorado.

If you are planning on coach travel (solo) you might want to use a USA Rail Pass

Go to www.sunrisesunset.com and enter the cities that you're most likely be in/near in the morning/evening then you'll come to a page where you'll enter the date. I select the civil twilight and moon phase when I use it.

I did this to get an idea of daylight for my trip in the middle of Oct. If course it will depend on the train being close to on time.

If you want to see mountain railroads, I recommend going around the loop the other direction:

morning ascent of the front range out of Denver and a morning crossing of Donner Pass.

Glorietta and Raton Passes are in daylight either direction.

You will be looking into the sun along the Pacific ocean however.

LWB

If you want to see mountain railroads, I recommend going around the loop the other direction:morning ascent of the front range out of Denver and a morning crossing of Donner Pass.

Glorietta and Raton Passes are in daylight either direction.

You will be looking into the sun along the Pacific ocean however.

LWB
I would agree with this. I would also recommend that you make your trip as close to the summer solstice (21 June) as possible to enjoy the most daylight, if sightseeing is the prime purpose of your trip.....

Climbing westbound on the CZ out of Denver is definitely worth the daylight adventure. But, coming down into Denver after dark on the eastbound CZ can also be enjoyable as the lights spreadout over the plains.

Either routing will likely put the Price River Canyon west of Helper, UT in the dark, unless the eastbound CZ is several hours late. California Sierra Nevada viewing will be in daylight in October in either direction. And there is always the possibility of early snow in the Sierras -- the Donner Party got snowed in on 20 October 1846.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back