best train music?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What about JJ Walkers Railroad Lady. If memory serves me right him and Jimmy Buffet got plastered on the Pan-American and then wrote it about one of the passengers.

Another country legend--Roger Miller--has two songs that fit this category: "Engine Number 9" and "King of the Road." Oh, and there is the "Chattanooga Choo-Choo," which is a good song and a long-time standard.

steve_relei said:
I am a classical musician and also have a pendant for the older, golden-aged songs and music. Actually, I like all kinds of music but gravitate more often to:
My favorite train song is "On the Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe." It was introduced to us by Judy Garland and company in the movie "The Harvey Girls," a movie about the waitresses who worked Santa Fe's Harvey Houses. I like the song because both the music (melodies and rhythms) and the lyrics talk about riding the train, the rhythms of the train, of wanting to be on that train,going to whereever it was going. This same song has been used in several MGM cartoons--especially "Tom and Jerry" cartoons, especially when a train was involved.

h.
Glad to hear your report on this, as well as Viewliner's report from the other day. This is still my alll-time favorite....I liked the "liveliness" of it. It totally fascinated me as a child. My sister wanted to crash the record or kill me, she is sufficinetly enough older than I to get completely sick of something after hearing it 500 times.....me....I still go into a Johnny Rockes Restaurant and put it in the juke box about three times if it is listed.

But specificlaly I appreicate the historical detail of it you gave, I did not know all that...sort of knew it was tied in with the Harvey Girls(what at Santa Fe wasn't) but that is all I knew.

I always liked to think there was a veiled reference in it to the cross country CHI to LA sleepers as in the line "..........all the way from Phila--delph--eye--aye........" Of course I know that probably had more to with with rhyming,etc.

Yellowstonetim said:
OK, so I am old.  I admit it. :)
You're only as old as you feel.

I was 114 getting when getting out of bed this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back