best train music?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I'm going on a train trip, and I want some appropriate music to bring along! I just downloaded Arlo Guthrie's "City of New Orleans" (what a neat song!) What other train-related songs would make good listening? (especially if I can get them off iTunes)

Anyone? Opinions?

Tif =:cool:

Quad City DJs - Come on Ride the Train

Kylie Minogue - Locomotion

The Monkees - Last Train to Clarksville

Something by the band Train (Maybe Drops of Jupiter or Something More)

Hank Williams - On the Evening Train

Soul Asylum - Runaway Train (ok, maybe not :) )

Led Zeppelin's Bring it On Home. Poor Tom, and Night Flight all have some railroad themes in them and are great songs. Bring It On Home is one of my all time favorites.

On the Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe by Johnny Mercer (IIRC). I know that's the one Bill would've recommended. Its my second favorite train song next to City of New Orleans.

How bout that "Orange Blossom Special," many versions of that by several artists, and don't forget that "Night Train to Memphis," performed by many artists, too! Also, the famous "Wabash Cannonball!"

Personally, I prefer Boxcar Willie's versions to these, but love many of the bluegrass versions, too. :)

The songs by this group aren't "themed" towards trains, but its all great music for sitting and looking out the window at America. The "Fresh Aire" series by Mannheim Steamroller. If you are new to the group, either start off with Fresh Aire I or their 25th Annivarsary Album. Both CDs have great songs, mostly being instrumental.

Viewliner said:
On the Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe by Johnny Mercer (IIRC). I know that's the one Bill would've recommended. Its my second favorite train song next to City of New Orleans.
You are right, Viewliner. Also Amtrak OBS employee's recommendations of Night Train to Memphis, Orange Blossom Special and Wabash Cannon Ball.

Also something my mother used to sing to me "Wreck of old '97", which refers to a real incident in VIrginia in which a mail train jumped the tracks in the early 1900's. Probably almsot impossilbe to find today. There is a country/western song out now called "Long Black Train".

lol, I had no idea I'd get so many responses. I'll have to poke around and see what I can buy. I'll let y'all know what I finally end up with!

Thanks so much! How interesting!

Tif =:cool:

Look for the "Amtrak Crescent", a new song by Scott Miller and the Commonwealths. They just finished a 25 day tour on the Crescent, from New Orleans to New York, with concerts in New Orleans, Hattiesburg, Jackson, MS, Birmingham, Atlanta, Greenville, SC, Charlotte, Charlottesville, Alexandria, Washington Union Station, Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York.

Ok now....what is the song which keeps playing in my mind after answering this post this morning.....it is about commuter trains, the MTA in Boston, not long distance......something back in the 60's.......some guy named Charlie on the train when the fare went up and he does not have the money to pay.............something like...."Oh, he'll never return, oh, he'll never return.....and his fate is still unknown......still unknown.......he may ride forever 'neath the streets of Boston, he's the man who'll never return........." Something about his wife letting him off at the station that morning, pesons familiar with Boston will recognize the station names......anybody know the song I am talking about? Anybody think I'm crazy? No, I'm not crazy, just can't remember what is was called.

I think a Scully Square Station is one of the stops listed in the song.

I don't remember the actual name of the song, but it was done by the Kingston Trio. You've got almost all of the lyrics from the song..... all we need now is the title.

I looked up Kingston Trio on the net and found the answer. It is known variously as "The M.T. A. Song" or as "Charlie on the M.T.A.

Thanks for reminding me it was done by the Kingston Trio, I had forgotten that.

It's not that train themed, but New York Minute by the Eagles has a couple of train refrences in there, and it's just a good song.

:)

Ok, my opinion here: I would not necessarily want a lot of "train" songs, except maybe, "City of New Orleans" and a few others. I want train songs when I am NOT on a train. I think the ideal songs for a train trip would be traveling songs, songs about America or the region your traveling through, especially historic songs.

Take it to the Limit

This Land is Your Land

The 59th Street Bridge Song: "Slow down, your moving to fast, ya gotta make the morning last,now, kickin down the cobblestones..."

Many a good country album

Johnny Cash

Boston

Kingston Trio

Peter Paul and Mary

Eagles

Allman Brothers Band

Manheim Steamroller

Bach

Great movie soundtraks

From a historic perspective, old folk songs would be good for a trip west. On the CZ to California:

Bound for the Promised Land

Sweet Betsy from Pike

Wait for the Wagon.

It would be fun to listen to songs the pioneers sang as I sat and watched the plains go by.

Anywhere in Texas and the southwest:

Red River Valley

Lilly of the West

Streets of Laredo

The Yellow Rose of Texas

For the Coast Starlight or other trips along or to the sea:

The Dying Californian

Eliza Lee

Farwell to Grop

The Glasgow

Rhyme of the Chivalrous Shark

Other historic songs appropriate to certain locals:

Shenandoah

The Rio Grande

Yankee Whalerman

I know these aren't for everyone, but train travel brings out the history buff in me. Most of these can be found on the internet. Unless of course you don't have access to the internet. But then you won't be reading this anyway!

OK, so I am old. I admit it. :)

What about Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues? The song is him relating the train to freedom while he is locked up.

Yellowstonetim, that is a neat list of songs and composers you have there. Hope I don't start obsessing on them all day as I did M.T.A. yesterday, which TO CORRECT MYSELF is a subway song, not a commuter train song.

One song that comes to mind: "Last Train Home," by Pat Methany. It's an instrumental, with no vocals.
Actually Yellowcard has a version out with vocals that's doing pretty well on the charts.

I am a classical musician and also have a pendant for the older, golden-aged songs and music. Actually, I like all kinds of music but gravitate more often to:

My favorite train song is "On the Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe." It was introduced to us by Judy Garland and company in the movie "The Harvey Girls," a movie about the waitresses who worked Santa Fe's Harvey Houses. I like the song because both the music (melodies and rhythms) and the lyrics talk about riding the train, the rhythms of the train, of wanting to be on that train,going to whereever it was going. This same song has been used in several MGM cartoons--especially "Tom and Jerry" cartoons, especially when a train was involved.

Another Judy Garland introduced song is also a favorite: "The Trolley Song" from "Meet Me in St. Louis." To me, it works just as well as a mainline train song as it does as a trolley song.

I also liked the theme song to "Petticoat Junction" with its trainlike rhythms and, of course, showing the Cannonball riding through the countryside.

"Wabash Cannonball," "Freight Train," "Orange Blossom Special," and "City of New Orleans" are also good, favorite train songs. It's interesting to note how many of the "good" train songs are in the country/bluegrass genre. But there are good train songs in other genres: "Midnight Train to Georgia" by Gladys Knight and the Pips is an example. I also like (still) Sheena Easton's "Morning Train."

There are a lot of American folk songs about trains (or that were originally songs about trains): "I've Been Workin' on the Railroad," Ballads of "John Henry" and "Casey Jones," "500 Miles," and "She'll Be Coming around the Mountain."

The classical afficianado in me also likes to CDs that I have: Locomotive Music 1 and 2. These are classical (light-classical) compositions that have to do with trains. During the 19th century, when the railroads were being built in Europe, composers (like the Strausses) were often asked to write waltzes, polkas, or other types of works to celebrate the opening of a new line and/or railroad stations. Sometimes the music was very descriptive of the train: steam puffing, starting slow and gradually accelerating up to speed ("The Acceleration Waltz"), the pleasure of the ride from place to place, etc. This music was written by a wide range of composers (from various countries), and it seems that polkas and quadrilles (like rhythms of a horse) work best at representing the rhythms of the train. And sometimes, the compositions have no real connection to the train; they are just nice pieces of music. One waltz--"The Steam Waltz"--actually refers to a coffee maker of the time, but it also works in describing a steam locomotive. Arthur Honneger wrote a piece entitled "Pacific 231" (the European way of designating steam locomotives; in the USA, a Pacific would be designated as 4-6-2) is descriptive of not only of a steam locomotive but of the entire mechanized world. Supposedly, Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" was in part inspired by the sounds and rhythms of a train (in "Fantasia 2000," the piece was accompanied by scenes of NYC including a subway train).

Classical composers Dvorak and Ravel were both train lovers. Supposedly, the last movement of the "New World" symphony (#9) mimicks the sound of a train accelerating up to speed. Steve Reich wrote "Different Trains" and tells of a sadder aspect of trains, using trains to take thousands(plus) of Jews and other prisoners to concentration camps.

Though not directly about trains, Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" is a piece as much about movement, especially flight (like the helicopter battle scenes in "Appocalypse Now"), and works just as well to represent the speed of a train. I've actually listened to it while on a moving train, and it works.

Of course, there are a lot of things I listen to that have no specific reference to trains; they are just nice pieces of music. Sometimes I like to listen to music that is about (mimics) nature, representing the nature outside the train window. Such pieces include: Beethoven's "Pastorale" Symphony (a day in the country), Smetana's "The Moldau (Vltava)," which depicts the course of the river through the Czech countryside and through the city of Prague, Strauss' "Blue Danube Waltz," Debussy's "La Mer" (the sea), anything from Wagner's Ring Cycle (as the Valkyries, above)--a lot of it has to do with the Rhine River.

One time I was on the Starlight starting the climb over the Oregon Cascades (out of Eugene), "Star Trek: The First Contact" started with its lovely stringed score (music by Jerry Goldsmith) for the opening credits. i am a sucker for lovely string melodies and thought it complemented well the mountainous scenery outside my window.

Edvard Grieg's music is evocative of his native Norway. When I listen to his music (ie, "Peer Gynt," and the Piano Concerto in A minor) I can image a panoramic scene(s). It's easy for me to transfer thoughts (and pictures) of the European landmarks and places to scenes here in America. With Grieg, I associate his music with here in the Pacific Northwest, especially of the Puget Sound/Seattle areas. And of course, there are a number of great, pastorale works by American composers that I like: Copland's "Appalachian Spring" and "Rodeo" and Grofe's "Grand Canyon Suite." I also have a CD called "Roundup," which has music from western movies and TV shows that work nicely to complement the wide-open spaces outside my window on the Starlight, Builder, California Zephyr, Sunset, Southwest Chief, (before they were cancelled) Desert Wind, Pioneer, and North Coast Hiawatha.

On the Coast Starlight in southern California, I can image hearing Beach Boy songs "California Girls" and "Surfin' USA" and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back