better to redeem now or use new system

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northnorthwest

Service Attendant
I'm planning a trip from DEN to BAL at the end of Jan. or start of Feb. It will be me and one other person in the sleeper. Is it better to redeem now using the 2-zone 20,000 point system or wait for the new format?

1) Look at cost.

2) Do math.

3) Make decision.

Given that if you wait for the new format you'll be booking days before your trip, and it's a looooong 2 zone, it's highly likely that you'll be better off booking now under the current system.

I'm planning a trip from DEN to BAL at the end of Jan. or start of Feb. It will be me and one other person in the sleeper. Is it better to redeem now using the 2-zone 20,000 point system or wait for the new format?
Since the present system allows cancellation and rebooking with no points penalty, there is no risk to book now using zones. With the new system tied to the actual fare, the points required will not be known until January 24. If, on January 24 (or after), the fare is low enough to make using the new system the better deal, you can call and cancel your zone reservation and make a new reservation at the lower points rate.

Good info by Ryan and Bill, but remember that after Jan. 24, under AGR 2.0, if you Cancel or Modify your rez you will be docked a 10% point penalty.

If it's less than 14 days before departure the penalty will be 20%!

As Ryan says, do the Math.

I suppose that there is also some risk of rooms being sold out if you wait. Since the proposed trip involves two occupants over two long zones, I thin the safe approach is to book now.

But the trip had only one occupant, I would book later.

Back