Bid for 130 corridor bi-level cars is now out

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be clear, the maximum revenue operating speed for the Next Gen corridor bi-levels is 125 mph. The 135 mph is only for the testing of the first units, probably to verify stability and safe operation in case of a brief overspeed operation. Just a larger test margin than the 130 mph that was specified in the earlier revision. of course, the 125 mph capability is a moot point until there are tracks in the Midwest, CA, or any other place where the bi-levels might be run at 125 mph speeds. In the 30 to 40 year operational lifespan of the new cars, I would expect we will see that.
Just out of curiosity, where would such railcars be tested at such speeds? The AAR test facility comes to mind, but even then, what would you pull them with?

---PCJ
From the description, at the Pueblo Colorado TTCI Railroad Test Track. See the web page. The test track is rated for a maximum speed of 165 mph and the catenary has a clearance of 22 feet 6 inches. Don't see why they could not get an electric locomotive to pull the test bi-level corridor cars at 135 mph, if there are no diesels available to reach that speed. The first article CAF Viewliner car and Siemens ACS-64 electric locomotive are going to be run on that test track, I would assume.

Sorry, forgive my ignorance... what is "RPF?"

To be clear, the maximum revenue operating speed for the Next Gen corridor bi-levels is 125 mph. The 135 mph is only for the testing of the first units, probably to verify stability and safe operation in case of a brief overspeed operation. Just a larger test margin than the 130 mph that was specified in the earlier revision. of course, the 125 mph capability is a moot point until there are tracks in the Midwest, CA, or any other place where the bi-levels might be run at 125 mph speeds. In the 30 to 40 year operational lifespan of the new cars, I would expect we will see that.
Just out of curiosity, where would such railcars be tested at such speeds? The AAR test facility comes to mind, but even then, what would you pull them with?

---PCJ
The current RPF for diesels also says 125 mph. Sounds like they will be tested together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Artist render:

rail_car_rendering-thumb-300x193-109751.jpg

from here: http://annarbor.com/news/michigan-amtrak-routes-to-get-bi-level-passenger-rail-cars-with-wi-fi/

peter

Sorry, forgive my ignorance... what is "RPF?"

The current RPF for diesels also says 125 mph. Sounds like they will be tested together.
I think he meant to write RFP: Request For Propoals.

RPF would be Yoda making the announcement: Request Proposals For.
If Yoda was the one making these RFP's, or as you said, RPF's, we'd have a Superliner train capable of imparting universal cures to all illnesses to those who ride it.

Amtrak Aboard All.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back