Big Trip Planning - Advice Solicited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Webb

Train Attendant
I am planning on using my hoard of AGR points for a big cross-country round trip from the West Coast at the end of April. I will be participating in the National Association of Railroad Passenger's annual "Day on the Hill" citizen's lobbying effort on behalf of passenger rail in DC.

I know that there are many seasoned rail travelers (of which I am one) reading this post and I am asking for the benefit of your advice and experience in making my plans.

I will be making my AGR reservations (all roomette for one -the Significant Other is staying home this time) as soon as I figure out the best route and how to get the most "bang" for my points.

Here's my rough draft thinking at this point:

Eastbound:

In taking the time of year into consideration. I know that late April can be flood season in the upper Mississippi states and rock slide season in the Rockies both of which can make the eastbound CHI connection from 4, 6, & 8 dicey. So I'm thinking of going southerly at least one way. Perhaps LA-NOL-DC. I realize there are no absolute guarantees on this. Service Disruptions due to floods can happen almost anywhere. Life is a gamble.

A variation (If I am willing to gamble that the Mississippi will cooperate) would be #422 LA-San Antonio-CHI (the one remaining transcon trip that is virgin rail for me). Thence DC via the "Cardinal" which I haven't ridden since it was the "James Whitcomb Riley".

Westbound:

Not real sure on this one. Less worries on the CHI connection. If I take #422 eastbound, then I might want to take a chance on #6 or #8. I did the SW Chief recently so I can scratch that one of my list for this trip (yes, I know all about the Raton Pass issue). If I do LA-NOL-DC eastbound then I would probably be more inclined to go DC-CHI-San Antonio-LA westbound.

Various variations:

I am interested in checking out the CHI-STL "higher" speed operation (with a stopover the go thru the Lincoln Museum in Springfield) and a ride on the Missouri River Runner in one or both directions (again, hoping that the creeks don't flood).
Ride some of the more interesting Metra and or IC electric trains (I've done the South Shore more than once, but never the others).
Maybe do a NOL-CHI overnight somehow on one leg.
Hang out on the Randolph St. overpass and watch the action.

While in DC:

Check out the B&O Museum (in Baltimore?)
Take MARTA (?) out to Harper's Ferry to see the John Brown Raid/Federal Arsenal Museum.
Whatever other railfan sites/activities you folks might recommend for the area.

I've got plenty of AGR points to do this. But, I think for the shorter day segments I would maybe pay cash and conserve my points.

So, anyway that's what's rolling around in my pointy little head and obviously I can't do everything so, to any experienced travelers out there: what are your thoughts? How would you do this?

:hi: Nice Trip! A few comments:

1)IINM Marta runs their Trains to/from Harpers Ferry based on Inbound to WAS in the AM, Outbound to Harpers Ferry in the PM! The Cap Ltd. also goes through there but its close to Dark on #29 when you Arrive so you'd have to spend the Night in Harpers Ferry, not a Bad idea! Great Place, Worth a Couple of Days! ;)

2) The Cardinal is Definitely Worth doing,Remember it only runs 3 times a Week! Eastbound is the Best Route so you get Daylight for the Mew River Gorge but expect a Slow Trip with Late to Very Late OTP!!!

3) NOL is a great place for a Layover, IMO better than Chicago and I like Chicago! Id think that West Bound youd want to look @ taking the Zephyr#5 from CHI to Cali as you arrive into LAX @ O-Dark-Thirty if you ride #1(only 3 Days a Week) or #421 from NOL or CHI!

Last edited by a moderator:
Various variations:

I am interested in checking out the CHI-STL "higher" speed operation (with a stopover the go thru the Lincoln Museum in Springfield)
The Texas Eagle doesn't travel any faster between Dwight and Pontiac, IL, than it does on the rest of the route. The D-P leg is the only part of the route ready for fast trains and it doesn't run that all that often. It's not a bad route to take, but don't take it if you expect to go fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back