Biggest Cities With no Rail service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
So I've thought of naming the biggest cities with little or no rail service. My vote goes to Houston with the Sunset only coming 3x per week. Other cities include Nashville, Columbus, OH, Des Moines, Boise, Phoenix, and Las Vegas. I know Maricopa serves Phoenix though. Any other insight?

Or tunnel. That'd be kinda cool if they could build an underwater tunnel that's glass enclosed similar to the Underwater Highway in Hawaii.

Another major city with little service is Cincinnati, OH, with the try weakly Cardinal serving it at poor hours.

battalion51 said:
Another major city with little service is Cincinnati, OH, with the try weakly Cardinal serving it at poor hours.
I don't think the Cardinal is so weakly. I think it's a fine, strong train.

Guest said:
battalion51 said:
I don't think the Cardinal is so weakly. I think it's a fine, strong train.
"[T]ry weakly" implies that instituting a tri-weekly schedule is trying weakly. :)

IIRC Indianapolis doesn't have much in the way of service nor does Louisville (if they have any at all).

battalion51 said:
Or tunnel. That'd be kinda cool if they could build an underwater tunnel that's glass enclosed similar to the Underwater Highway in Hawaii.
If you are adding tri-weekly serviced cities I have one better: Houston. You don't get much larger than Houston with as little service as that city has.

tp49 said:
IIRC Indianapolis doesn't have much in the way of service nor does Louisville (if they have any at all).
Indianapolis has daily service with the Hoosier State/Cardinal. Granted the times aren't good, but it has daily service to Chicago.

I still think that the Hoosier State should run daily on a different (better) schedule then the Cardinal, I mean that run wouldnt require much in the way of equipment (look at its consist now, one Horizon coach! But with better times more coaches and a cafe car would be nice). Keep the Cardinal on its current schedule and boom better service to Indy.

Then next ya can extend the Hoosier State to Cincinnati! Service there now is quite pathetic, especially when they have that BEAUTIFUL Union Station!

Seems as though the largest city in Ohio, Columbus does not have any train service.

The Nashville metro area is booming. Hopefully in a few years this growing market will see the return of Amtrak service.

Some of these are state capitals.

Phoenix, AZ

Cheyenne, WY

Las Vegas, NV

Wichita, KS

Macon, GA

Augusta, GA

Montogmery, AL

Nashville, TN

Shreveport, LA

Tulsa, OK

Louisville, KY

Columbus, OH

Willmington, NC

Boise, ID

Sioux, Falls, SD

Des Moines, IA

Baton Rouge, LA

Columbus, GA

Lubbock TX

Carson City, NV

Madison, WI

Knoxville, TN

Chattanooga, TN (spelling fixed)

Norfolk, VA

Atlantic, City, NJ (has an easy connection out of Newark via NJ Transit)

Honolulu, HI

Anchorage, AK

Thanks Amtrak watcher for mentioning my birth city of Chattanooga....it is, however, spelled with two "t's".

Thanks. No biggee. Probably nobody else would notice.

Baton Rouge,LA and Shreveport,LA are two decent sized cities without rail service. I've always thought that an intra-Louisiana service connecting New Orleans and Shreveport (maybe extended to Dallas) via Baton Rouge and Alexandria would do well. Then again, this state is so "financially challenged" currently, I don't think the service would be a state-supported initiative.

Amtrak Watcher said:
Some of these are state capitals.
Phoenix, AZ

Cheyenne, WY

Las Vegas, NV

Wichita, KS

Macon, GA

Augusta, GA

Montogmery, AL

Nashville, TN

Shreveport, LA

Tulsa, OK

Louisville, KY

Columbus, OH

Willmington, NC

Boise, ID

Sioux, Falls, SD

Des Moines, IA

Baton Rouge, LA

Columbus, GA

Lubbock TX

Carson City, NV

Madison, WI

Knoxville, TN

Chatanooga, TN

Norfolk, VA

Atlantic, City, NJ (has an easy connection out of Newark via NJ Transit)

Honolulu, HI

Anchorage, AK
I'm sorry, but not all those are state capitals. Atlanta is Georgia, Oklahoma City is Oklahoma, Austin is Texas, and some states you have two or three "capitals." :huh:

I can just imagine the heartbreak some poor soul would experience after booking a ticket online to Las Vegas, only to discover that they're going to a sleepy town in N.Mex.

Anthony said:
I can just imagine the heartbreak some poor soul would experience after booking a ticket online to Las Vegas, only to discover that they're going to a sleepy town in N.Mex.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

(The really funny thing is I bet is HAS happened before!) :rolleyes:

tp49 said:
Indianapolis has daily service - what more could you expect on this route? It's way too slow for a corridor operation....

P40Power said:
I still think that the Hoosier State should run daily on a different (better) schedule then the Cardinal, I mean that run wouldnt require much in the way of equipment (look at its consist now, one Horizon coach! But with better times more coaches and a cafe car would be nice). Keep the Cardinal on its current schedule and boom better service to Indy.
Then next ya can extend the Hoosier State to Cincinnati! Service there now is quite pathetic, especially when they have that BEAUTIFUL Union Station!
The Hoosier State owes its entire existence to a need for Amtrak to ferry equiment back and forth between Chicago and Beech Grove. If Amtrak wasn't using Beech Grove there would be no Hoosier State.

Point being, there was no thought whatsoever about 'improving' service to Indy - that came about as a happy by-product of Amtrak fulfilling its own needs.

The it was stated it sounded like he meant "Some of these state capitals don't have service," obviously he meant, "Among these are some state capitals without service." By the way Guest, I would've fallen asleep in English not Geography. :unsure:

Back