Blog: "Amtrak’s Big Comeback: Is High-Speed Rail Our Best Option?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SCrails

Train Attendant
I'd love to hear others' feedback on this post that came up today in my Google "high speed rail" news feed.

Some main points I took from the article:

• don't pretend that passenger rail needs huge subsidies while highways and air do just fine with none
  • carbon emission savings for the proposed U.S. HSR system aren't really very much in the big picture
  • Amtrak should enhance and expand the conventional passenger rail network while it pursues HSR

I am not familiar with this blog or the writer, but I found much to agree with in this post. What do you think?

I think the post touches on some good points, but the overall tone strikes me as a little bit negative -- add the trains, and nobody will ride -- without looking at specific corridors. The writer was fairly critical of the California High Speed project's cost, but failed to consider the environmental impact of all the flights between San Francisco, LA, and points thereabout which would be well served by high speed rail. People have shown a willingness to leave their cars and accommodate their schedules to planes for several generations, so the point that folks would not do so for timely, well maintained trains is questionable at best.

The concluding comments about the northern LD train service is instructive in describing the cost to start up, but seems more thrown out to illustrate how expensive it is to run a train. Yes, initial cost estimates are very high; they include new equipment and infrastructure to get the route going. Should it be done? That's entirely a political decision, if this is the most important route that could be added among many that could be added.

The one positive I would grant this is that it does point out that there is a need to focus some serious money if we are to get high speed rail up and running, and not create a bunch of northeast corridor routes that have fast looking trains but inadequate infrastructure to support true high speed operations. But not every route will justify high speed rail; there is a role for conventional rail on other routes.

He also made the mistake about saying the Amtrak received $8 billion in stimulus funds for high speed rail projects. Then he also assumed that Amtrak was the one to come up with the existing 11 corridor plan. I had to straighten him out.

• don't pretend that passenger rail needs huge subsidies while highways and air do just fine with none
  • carbon emission savings for the proposed U.S. HSR system aren't really very much in the big picture
  • Amtrak should enhance and expand the conventional passenger rail network while it pursues HSR

I am not familiar with this blog or the writer, but I found much to agree with in this post. What do you think?
Point one is a complete fallacy. Subsidies to air and road are huge.

Point two: Numbers please: Without something at least, this is pure conjecture. For corridors like SF to LA where the planes are almost in sight of each other, it is not just the direct effect of spewing tons of exhaust into the sky, but also the need for major expansion of facilities to deal with the growth in demand.

point three: This one I can agree with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back