Blue water & Pere Marquette could end in FY 2010

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Michigan Senate on June 10th 2009 voted to cut $2 million out of the 2010 Amtrak Budget for the Blue water and Pere Marquette trains in Michigan.

Please contact the Michigan senate and tell them to put back the $2 million into the Amtrak Budget.

Also the $4.8 Million was cut out for the buses.

If this money is not put back these 2 trains will no longer be able to run and will end service at the end of Sept 2009

Subject: Michigan Senate Votes to Cut Amtrak
Matt,

On Wednesday, June 10th, the Michigan Senate Appropriations Committee voted to cut the Local Bus Operating program by $4.28 million and the Amtrak rail passenger operating grant by $2 million dollars.

This will continue a "death by a million cuts" to our local bus services, but it is even more devastating to Amtrak as the $2 million cut will result in the loss of either the rail services along the Port Huron to Chicago route or the Grand Rapids to Chicago route. It actually could result in the loss of both routes!!

Fast, frequent and dependable trains, combined with local buses, are an important tool for dealing with our economic, environmental and energy crises. Michigan should be expanding passenger rail and transit, not cutting.

Please click here to send Governor Granholm, your state senator and your state representative an email. Here is the address in case the link doesn't work:

http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/2228/...paign_KEY=27420

Rick Harnish

Executive Director

Midwest High Speed Rail Association

4765 N. Lincoln Ave.

Chicago, IL 60625

773-334-6758

Hi Matt,

Long time no hear from. I understand the problem. You have certainly done yeoman's work keeping the Michigan trains alive.

Hear me out, and don't get upset too quick. Michigan is screwed. They have lost a TON of people. Flint is looking at a reduction in population by almost 40%. Detroit isn't doing much better.

Michigan is in desparate need for some hard-lovin' fiscal leadership. Dropping these two lines and the accompanying busses may be what's needed right now.

If, indeed, there is a true need for these services, Greyhound will pick it up. It looks like the Wolverine could stay, and that's the lifeline into Detroit from Chicago.

A strong commuter system out of Detroit could support East Lansing, Flint, and Port Huron perhaps more effectively. An hour and a half drive to the Wolverine from just about anywhere in South Michigan currently served is still a lot closer to the National system than millions across the country.

Hi Matt,
Long time no hear from. I understand the problem. You have certainly done yeoman's work keeping the Michigan trains alive.

Hear me out, and don't get upset too quick. Michigan is screwed. They have lost a TON of people. Flint is looking at a reduction in population by almost 40%. Detroit isn't doing much better.

Michigan is in desparate need for some hard-lovin' fiscal leadership. Dropping these two lines and the accompanying busses may be what's needed right now.

If, indeed, there is a true need for these services, Greyhound will pick it up. It looks like the Wolverine could stay, and that's the lifeline into Detroit from Chicago.

A strong commuter system out of Detroit could support East Lansing, Flint, and Port Huron perhaps more effectively. An hour and a half drive to the Wolverine from just about anywhere in South Michigan currently served is still a lot closer to the National system than millions across the country.
We also had a bigger issue we were going to lose 100 Michigan State Troopers and the State just put 83 of them thru training and that got a lot of people upset so the State had to find more money to keep the 100 MSP Troopers.

And i had a felling that if that went thru this would happen but i also Support the Michigan State Police 100%

The State is in awful shape but there are other areas to cut out some money they just don't want to the State employee's are getting shafted once again have to take an x amount of days unpaid etc.

Hi Matt,

We also had a bigger issue we were going to lose 100 Michigan State Troopers and the State just put 83 of them thru training and that got a lot of people upset so the State had to find more money to keep the 100 MSP Troopers.

And i had a felling that if that went thru this would happen but i also Support the Michigan State Police 100%

The State is in awful shape but there are other areas to cut out some money they just don't want to the State employee's are getting shafted once again have to take an x amount of days unpaid etc.
:blink: Unfortunately this is happening in too many states, California is in terrible shape,hopefully the great trough in the ne (aka DC) will help the states use the stimulus money wisely, this is a

big hope of course knowing politicians, but with the Prez and the Veep being train fans perhaps there is hope!I have noticed that

the state of michigan is running lots of TV ads, "Pure Michigan", so they must have some$$!Good luck, I live in

Texas so were towards the bottom when it comes to most things with our crack know mnothings in Austin

but the peoplke are friendly and its a great country!! :) :) :)

Hi Matt,

:blink: Unfortunately this is happening in too many states, California is in terrible shape,hopefully the great trough in the ne (aka DC) will help the states use the stimulus money wisely, this is a

big hope of course knowing politicians, but with the Prez and the Veep being train fans perhaps there is hope!I have noticed that

the state of michigan is running lots of TV ads, "Pure Michigan", so they must have some$$!Good luck, I live in

Texas so were towards the bottom when it comes to most things with our crack know mnothings in Austin

Yeah Jim, I would like to see some dedicated corridor service in the so called 'triangle' at least, DFW, SAS, HOU, but on the other hand Texas isn't broke either. Perhaps this points up the folly of having states get in bed with Amtrak when it comes to funding a 'national' passenger train network. Talk about idiots in Austin. They can't even get their light rail line working. They can't get it in compliance with FRA safety rules. Would we even want these nincompoops running trains here?

Well, that stinks.

I could see losing the Wolverine & Blue Water Service trains, especially if ridership is down due to the loss of population in Flint, Detroit, and other cities in east Michigan.

I'm considering relocating to Grand Rapids, the terminus of the Pere Marquette. To me, one of its strengths was a daily train to Chicago. From what I've seen, Grand Rapids is doing pretty well, all things considered. The Pere Marquette seems to exist primarily as a Grand Rapids-Chicago run (there will soon be only 3 intermediate stops), it would be a shame to lose service in one of the few "bright spots" left in Michigan.

It sounds like a case where the troubles in Detroit and Flint are going to take the rest of the state with them.

:lol:

Hi Matt,

Yeah Jim, I would like to see some dedicated corridor service in the so called 'triangle' at least, DFW, SAS, HOU, but on the other hand Texas isn't broke either. Perhaps this points up the folly of having states get in bed with Amtrak when it comes to funding a 'national' passenger train network. Talk about idiots in Austin. They can't even get their light rail line working. They can't get it in compliance with FRA safety rules. Would we even want these nincompoops running trains here?
:rolleyes: yeah thats the point, the HF is funded by OKLAHOMA/not Texas. and Cap Metro here in Austin is the joke of all Metros!!!!!Sen. Hutchinson has helped save the TE several times as you know but she

is running for Gov against Gov. Goodhair, I dont know if our other so called Sen. and Reps support trains or

not, our guy here in Austin, Rep, Dodgett is first rate!!!Hope they dont mess up the SSL and TE. I want yall

to get better and more service in Houston but keep the historic names and as they used to say, "keep it simple

guys"! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The 2 Amtrak trains that have seen more riders this year were the Blue water and Pere Marquette while the Det to Chi trains fell a little bit in ridership.

The Blue water really needs an extra coach car put on it most of the time the train is sold out East Lansing puts on about 50-150 passengers a day to head west and on busy days 50-200 passengers can get off in East Lansing.

Vote could imperil some Michigan Amtrak trains

Published: Wednesday, June 17, 2009

LANSING, Mich. - Michigan legislators last week voted to cut its Amtrak operating grant by $2 million, a move that could lead to elimination of a train, the Port Huron (Mich.) Times-Herald has reported. Trains that could be cut would be either the Chicago-Port Huron Blue Water, the Chicago-Grand Rapids, Mich., Pere Marquette, or both.

The subsidy cut comes as Michigan struggles to balance its budget. In addition to ending the Blue Water or Pere Marquette, some other Michigan state-supported Amtrak services could see reduced frequencies as a result. Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari said it's "premature for us to talk about it." The list of trains that could potentially be cut comes from the Midwest High Speed Rail Association.

In the past, proposed cuts to the state's Amtrak services have resulted in protests from the public, and a similar proposal in Vermont failed earlier this year amid public opposition. At a hearing on the issue in Port Huron Saturday, members of the public came out to oppose any cuts.

"We're 100 percent against them, because they undermine all the efforts we made in past years trying to restore and improve passenger rail," said James Wallington of Perry, Mich., a member of the Michigan Association of Rail Passengers.

The 2 Amtrak trains that have seen more riders this year were the Blue water and Pere Marquette while the Det to Chi trains fell a little bit in ridership.
Actually as of April, the most recent stats that I've seen posted, only the Blue Water is still up in ridership this year compared to last year. It's averaging a 2.1% increase so far this year. Both the Pere and the Wolverines are down, 6.1% and 4.3% respectively.

Actually as of April, the most recent stats that I've seen posted, only the Blue Water is still up in ridership this year compared to last year. It's averaging a 2.1% increase so far this year. Both the Pere and the Wolverines are down, 6.1% and 4.3% respectively.
Thank's for that catch Alan trying to read off this small laptop screen and i mistyped my stats.

Hi Matt,

Jeeze. Did you know we were in the middle of the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression? We are. Everyone is cutting. God forbid Michigan, one of the ones in the worst of shapes, would have to cut things too!

NJT is cutting service. MTA is cutting service. MBTA is cutting service. Septa is... increasing service? Oh the irony. But anyway, my point is, everyone is cutting. Michigan doing it as well makes sense. I hope they change their minds and just knock out two Wolverines. Detroits a dead town. Good riddance.

Hi Matt,

Jeeze. Did you know we were in the middle of the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression? We are. Everyone is cutting. God forbid Michigan, one of the ones in the worst of shapes, would have to cut things too!

NJT is cutting service. MTA is cutting service. MBTA is cutting service. Septa is... increasing service? Oh the irony. But anyway, my point is, everyone is cutting. Michigan doing it as well makes sense. I hope they change their minds and just knock out two Wolverines. Detroits a dead town. Good riddance.
The only 2 trains the State of Michigan pays for is the Blue water and Pere Marquette the Det to Chi trains are under Federal Funding.

Budget crises come and go. We're only talking $2 million dollars here. Michigan probably spends that much painting stripes on the interstates. The state's been busy rebuilding I-94 from the ground up in the Kalamazoo-Battle Creek area. YOu just shift some money around in the Department of Transportation budget.

Once rail lines are lost, you have to move heaven and earth to bring them back. It doesn't hurt for people to write or contact their state legislators to let them know how they want their money spent.

Budget crises come and go. We're only talking $2 million dollars here. Michigan probably spends that much painting stripes on the interstates. The state's been busy rebuilding I-94 from the ground up in the Kalamazoo-Battle Creek area. YOu just shift some money around in the Department of Transportation budget. Once rail lines are lost, you have to move heaven and earth to bring them back. It doesn't hurt for people to write or contact their state legislators to let them know how they want their money spent.
I agree. We faced similar cuts in VT (talks of replacing the Ethan Allen with a bus) and they up raising the gas tax by two cents to help fund the train as well as fund some highway upkeep. If there is public desire for keeping the trains and paying for them, a solution can be found.

This is off the UTU web site

Michigan votes to cut Amtrak fundingPORT HURON, Mich. - The daily train trip from Port Huron to Chicago could be threatened as officials work to balance the state's budget, the Times Herald reports.

Last week, the Michigan State Senate Appropriations Committee voted to cut the Amtrak rail passenger operating grant by $2 million.

The proposed cut could result in the loss of either the rail services along the Port Huron to Chicago route or the Grand Rapids to Chicago route, or both, said Rick Harnish, executive director of the Midwest High Speed Rail Association in a statement.

Others see the slash in funding cutting how many days of the week the train will run.

Marc Magliari, Amtrak spokesman, said it is too early in the legislative process to say how it would affect the train trips.

"It would be premature for us to talk about it," he said.

Last year, ridership increased by 7%, according to Amtrak data.

Magliari said Michigan to Chicago ridership has increased between October through May this year by 0.5 percent compared with the same time period last year, with nearly 87,000 riders.

While many locals believe a cut to the passenger railway industry would be harmful, others said it's just part of dealing with the state's economy.

In previous years, the train rides considered cuts have been met with protest from residents.

"You have to balance (the budget) against the deficit that we have," said State Rep. Phil Pavlov, R-St. Clair Township. "Unfortunately some good programs could be affected. ... I think we're beyond the point where we can hold everyone harmless. It's going to be a painful process as we readjust to fit the economy we have now."

Others think cutting train trips brings too many ill effects.

For Jody Catanzaro, a change in Amtrak's schedule to Chicago could affect how many people are at her dinner table at holidays.

The Port Huron Township woman's 21-year-old daughter attends class at Moody Bible Institute in Chicago.

The trains have allowed her a safe and affordable way to get to school and home for visits, Catanzaro said.

It also allows the family to visit her in Chicago.

(This item appeared June 16, 2009, in the Times Herald.)

June 16, 2009

Now is the time to put money into trains. Gas prices are on the rise again. The car industry is going down the toilet at the time being. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back