BNSF Train Derailment - Bosque County TX

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DryCreek

Lead Service Attendant
Wife just called me into the living room - news coverage about a derailed BNSF freight outside of Valley Mills TX. My wife even recognized the location, as we pass right by there on our semi-monthly trips to Waco. I can't remember if this part is double-tracked or not. I think not. So, the TE is going to have issues. They just can't seem to get a break this week. I have been watching on Amtraks Train Tracker all week, and haven't seen a 21/22 running on time so far.

Link to news topic: http://www.kxxv.com/story/28580952/homes-evacuated-following-train-derailment

ETA

Another link (shows single tracked): http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/BREAKING-Train-297140101.html

ETA - 2

Here is where my wife thinks it happened (based on the pictures of the fences) : https://www.google.com/maps/@31.6707021,-97.5087416,106m/data=!3m1!1e3

Last edited by a moderator:
This derailment occurred on the BNSF Ft. Worth Sub, which is--for the most part--single track CTC with passing sidings. The Texas Eagle became buses because of the incident, from what I've read elsewhere.

Curious about the News 25 report:

"....the engine and the caboose remained upright."

There was a caboose? Could be, I guess, or it could be a red flag. Could this be reportage from somebody who has had his/her head in the sand for thirty years?

Tom

Journalism at its finest. I also heard that the passengers did not get on buses, but stayed with the train, running about 12 hours late. :(

Curious about the News 25 report:

"....the engine and the caboose remained upright."

There was a caboose? Could be, I guess, or it could be a red flag. Could this be reportage from somebody who has had his/her head in the sand for thirty years?

Tom
Heh, you have to remember the size of the market for a Waco station. They certainly don't draw first-level journalists there. Lots of Baylor grads cutting their teeth there at entry level pay. They seem to be pretty worried about the methanol (wood alcohol) in those tanker cars through.

OK, is it just me, or has TE 21 (3/21) jumped the tracks? On the Amtrak Train Tracker you can see it running several miles east of its normal route. So, either they are running on a new route, they are in a bus, or you really can steer trains! If the latter is true, that may have several ambulance chasing lawyers foaming at the mouth since "the train didn't veer away from the collision".

The other issue is that it is showing the next stop as CBR, yet it is passing through Bellmead near Waco. That is an hour south of Cleburne, and they are heading south.

ETA - just looked on Google Earth maps and it appears that they very well could be on a re-route. There are tracks where the Track A Train shows them to be. I would guess from the route that they may have missed CBR and may also miss Temple, unless they rejoin the original routing somewhere. I am not familiar as to whose line they are on.

It's true that the lading wasn't the very best thing to spill. But it's basically glass cleaner that can burn as a low-volatility fuel. So this was hardly the Apocalypse. These amateur journalists missed an opportunity. They could have gotten a nice human interest angle if they'd given some attention to the passengers who were bused, or delayed, or whatever actually happened.

Tom

OK, is it just me, or has TE 21 (3/21) jumped the tracks? On the Amtrak Train Tracker you can see it running several miles east of its normal route. So, either they are running on a new route, they are in a bus, or you really can steer trains! If the latter is true, that may have several ambulance chasing lawyers foaming at the mouth since "the train didn't veer away from the collision".

The other issue is that it is showing the next stop as CBR, yet it is passing through Bellmead near Waco. That is an hour south of Cleburne, and they are heading south.

ETA - just looked on Google Earth maps and it appears that they very well could be on a re-route. There are tracks where the Track A Train shows them to be. I would guess from the route that they may have missed CBR and may also miss Temple, unless they rejoin the original routing somewhere. I am not familiar as to whose line they are on.
Union Pacific through Waco.

#21will be able to call @ Temple after the Reroute thru Waco on the UP tracks,( which should be the Eagles regular Route!!) BNSF and UP tracks merge in Temple. BNSF has a large freight yard and maintence shops by the Temple Amtrak Station! ( old Santa Fe/MKT Railroad Town)

Once #21 leaves Temple they run on UP tracks to Taylor and into Austin all the way to San Antonio!

Thanks. Mystery solved!

I tend to agree that they should make this part of the permanent routing. I wonder how much more traffic they could generate with a stop in Waco? It would be a great marketing opportunity to get the colleges of Baylor*, SMU*, TCU*, and UT-A* all served by the same train! They already serve TSU in San Marcos, and I guess Trinity College in San Antonio. They could somehow come up with a new moniker such as "The College Line!". Just through in some regional lines to Bryan College Station and tie-in the Houston colleges through the SL and you have a winner.

I am sure that at one time Waco did have passenger train service. Does anyone know where the old passenger terminal was? I may have to go and look it up next time I travel down town in Waco - which isn't very often, we tend to stay on the western side.

* by connector bus

Just thought that I'd add an update. Just so happens that I had to drive to Waco today, and we passed the area where the BNSF derailment occurred. When we first came by this morning, it was dark - but that whole stretch of line from around both bends (it's sort of an "S" curve) was lit up with what looked like a work consist. There were a bunch of marker lights I did not recognize. There were also several Hi-Railers running back and forth over the area. They have cut a road in from Tx. Hwy 6 and created a work area - complete with caliche pad!

Coming home this afternoon, most of the vehicles were parked on the pad, and I noticed at least three of the tanker cars still in the area. I really couldn't tell if the line was passable, but while we were stopped in Valley Mills I did hear locomotive horns at the crossing down the street where it crosses below 317 but before a residential street. I couldn't tell if it was TE #22 or a short freight.

Does anyone know if that section of track is open again? Or, is the TE still using UP from Cleburne, out to I-35W and south into Waco? TE#22 showed to be about 1-1/2 hours late again today.

21 and 22 are back on the regular BNSF route. Slow orders seem in effect at the derailment area.

Update Time:

Took a trip down to Waco yesterday along Texas Highway 6. Just North of Valley Mills at the "S" curve is where the derailment occurred. It appears that there are still three tank cars, one low gondola, and three or four lumber flat cars there. They have created a work area and drug as many of the cars as possible into the field, yet one or two of the tankers are still just off of the tracks and surrounded by a dirt berm. I am wondering how long they plan to keep those cars there before re-railing them and transporting them to a shop somewhere. Does anyone know how they typically handle an incident like this? I would also bet that the owner would like to get his pasture back. They have created a muddy mess there!

I would also bet that the owner would like to get his pasture back. They have created a muddy mess there!
You can bet he is crying all the way to the bank. When this sort of situation occurs, the railroad's agents go to the landowner with an open checkbook to negotiate use of what land where and what sort of condition it is to be in when they leave.

I would also bet that the owner would like to get his pasture back. They have created a muddy mess there!
You can bet he is crying all the way to the bank. When this sort of situation occurs, the railroad's agents go to the landowner with an open checkbook to negotiate use of what land where and what sort of condition it is to be in when they leave.
I'll bet he's not. Sure, if you don't raise livestock and you think of this as your back yard, it wouldn't seem so bad. This field was excellent hay pasture in the past, but the owner (or new owner) had livestock on it at the time of the derailment. So, do you really think that all you have to do is open the local newspaper to find suitable grazing leases near you? How long do you think that this poor guy is going to have to be buying hay to feed his livestock with now? Even if they completely remediate the actual tanker spill area, the pad they have created for handling the remaining cars, equipment and material will also have to be removed and the pasture grasses re-established. Have you ever sprigged a pasture? Especially during a prolonged drought? I can only imagine the inconvenience he is going through. Especially for us as this is time of year as we are weaning our late-crop calves from last year. They have to be tended to twice daily for fresh hay and water, and stalls cleaned. Where would I be able to rent a small barn with water - that is as close as the one I have here at my place?

While I agree that he is probably be compensated, I also know that he is not happily diving into piles of money like Scrooge McDuck. I am sure that at first the railroad (BNSF) was quick to help, but now he will probably be having to deal with the insurance company. We all know how kind and generous they are - and it's why we are all so giddy when we get rear-ended in a traffic accident. The money just starts pouring out of the tap.

If the spilled liquid from the tanker is considered to be a hazardous substance, how long is greenfield remediation going to take? Hopefully he has found a good pasture lease close to where he lives, and he should get new fencing along the back of his property. I do feel for the landowner in this case. I can put myself in his shoes.

UPDATE - 05/01/2015

Absolutely NO change, except the notable lack of any BNSF vehicles in the temporary work area. Yup, it was completely vacant of workers and vehicles. The same tanker cars and bulkhead flat cars were right where they've been since the accident! I didn't even see where any spill remediation has occurred yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back