Boarding LSL in ALB

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashland Train Enthusiast

Service Attendant
Hey All,

Tomorrow I am taking the LSL (449 section) ALB -> CHI, and was wondering what the policy is on boarding folks in that section while it sits in ALB waiting for the NYP section. Per the timetable, it should get there 5:30 ish, so would pax be able to board that section earlier, or do they make everyone wait until after the NYP section has arrived and the trains are joined before boarding both sections? Just trying to figure out when I should plan to be at the station, don't want to arrive there too early if there's no need.

Thanks,

~ DCTE

have a great trip! I've taken the same route and there was no early boarding.

If my memory serves, we took #48 CHI - ALB, we got to ALB and they had us wait AWAY from the platform so that we couldn't get off the train until something (448 engine???) arrived. I was not pleased - I wanted to pickup my rental car and get going. Unfortunately that was the start of the trip from hell (mostly NOT Amtrak's fault)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on the LSL from Boston last month. They let the passengers get off and walk around the station but they didn't board new passengers until the two sections were together and read to go.

In my experience, the boarding is always chaotic WB at ALB. Since only 49's tail fits on the actual platform, most of the train boards from the old concrete/gravel ground. This manages to confuse passengers a bit. The main cause of confusion, however, always seems to be total lack of information from Amtrak personnel once people are actually on the platform. (Sometimes, the problem is total lack of actual personnel on the platform.)

Such a hectic boarding process is not a good way to start a trip. Fortunately, it takes very little to remedy this situation. Hopefully my experiences have been the exceptions, not the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back