Boarding the LSL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cole737

Train Attendant
I had the option to book either 48 or 448 from CHI-SDY. Schenectady is before Albany Station, where the LSL Splits into two sections to Boston and New York (Most of you probably know that). But my question is, If i booked the one for 448 will that change where I sit in the train? They were two different booking options for the same price and and I will be getting off before the Split happens in ALB. I booked 448, so would I be sitting in the Boston Section of the train? And is it like most LD trains where you just get assigned a car and you can sit wherever you want?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the 448 is a different section than the 48 (different cars). And usually you can sit where you want in the car, but sometmes you get an attendant that is a drill sergeant and tells you exactly where to sit when you board. Good luck.

You will likely been sent to the front coaches on the train (448 section) as your ticket will indicate. We had not been assigned a specific seat when boarding in Chicago. If you board the LSL at other stations along the route, you would likely be assigned a specific seat. That is what happens to us when boarding in CLE.

You will be a long walk from the diner if you chose to eat there, but not quite as far to the cafe car, which stays with the Boston section of the train.

Oregon, and Railroad Bill, thanks for the replies. I'm glad I'm towards the front on the train because I'm either in the last few cars for the EB arriving because I'm boarding Portland. And I don't mind a nice walk! Thanks! :)

In my experience boarding the LSL at CHI, passengers are grouped by destination without regard to whether they are on 48 or 448. They will ask your destination (not the train number) to direct you to the correct car. All coach pax to SDY will likely be in the same car; they will not send some to the BOS section and some to the NYC section.

As Railroad Bill replied, you will be at the front of the train. After the locomotives, there will be (in order): a baggage car, a Viewliner sleeper, two Amfleet II coaches, and an Amfeet Cafe car. This constitutes the 448 section of the train. Everything behind that is the 48 section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back