Bomb Threat Haults Amtrak Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad it was just a threat, and not actually a bomb. This does upset me that someone had the nerve to make these threats, and it created further incoveniences. :angry:

I just hope that this doesn't occur again, especially if its my train. That would be all I'd need.

Hopefully, this will be a one time occurance, and no actions against our trains are actually taken.

I think 60 minutes II is supposed to do a story on rail security tonight.

I believe P090-30 also got hit with delays since they were an hour late coming out of Miami yesterday.

Yes, I do believe that 60 Minutes is doing a special. We discussed it at work today. Or, it's at least CBS, one way or the other. We all agreed that it probably will not sound good for Amtrak.

Viewliner said:
I'm glad it was just a threat, and not actually a bomb. This does upset me that someone had the nerve to make these threats, and it created further incoveniences. :angry:
I just hope that this doesn't occur again, especially if its my train. That would be all I'd need.

Hopefully, this will be a one time occurance, and no actions against our trains are actually taken.

I think 60 minutes II is supposed to do a story on rail security tonight.
I agree with you. Thank goodness I was on that triain and was very Happy to see the dog. I am glad to see amtrak police being more serious about the bomb scares

I don't care about lateness if I could feel more protected.

Rides Often

:D :) B)

once again

FLA TRINS ARE FUN!!!

I didn't get to see the special...I had been told it was at 8:00 (CT) but apparently it was at 7:00. Can anyone give me a brief summary?

I came in about halfway through it, but it was mainly about the Security already in place, and what they're doing now to beef up security. The next big rail security issue will be the Republican (hiss boo!) National Convention at Madison Square Garden above Penn Station in New York.

battalion51 said:
Not sure. Seems like it's usually the first or second week of July.
I think it is toward the end of July.

You know. It's ironic that both the Democratic and Republican conventions are taking place right above two major rail transportation hubs. Penn Station New York (Madison Square Garden) and North Station Boston (Fleet Center). I know in Boston during the convention all trains that normally operate out of North Station will termintate at stations outside the city with passengers being transfered to buses and subways for the remainder of the way.

Try the end of August close to Labor Day, in fact it will be during the time the US Open will be played in Flushing Meadows could make live very interesting.

tp49 said:
Try the end of August close to Labor Day, in fact it will be during the time the US Open will be played in Flushing Meadows could make live very interesting.
I know the Democratic convention is at the end of July in Boston. I wouldn't know about the Republican convention?

Amfleet said:
I know in Boston during the convention all trains that normally operate out of North Station will termintate at stations outside the city with passengers being transfered to buses and subways for the remainder of the way.
Yeah, but there is a big difference between North Station and Penn Station being closed.

North Station only sees around 50,000 passengers on any given work day. Penn Station on the other hand sees close to 500,000 per day, between Amtrak, NJ Transit, and the LIRR.

Putting close to 25,000 people on either a subway or a bus during the rush hour is going to be a nightmare for Boston. It's going to be impossible to put 250,000 people on buses and subways here in NY. We don't have enough buses or bus terminals to accomodate that many people.

Plus in the case of NJT & Amtrak, they don't have any stations that are anywhere near a subway, other than Penn Station. The LIRR does have a few alternatives for transfers to subways, but again the subways can't really handle the LIRR dumping 150,000 passengers on them.

So things could get real interesting if the Secret Service closes down Penn, like they are hinting at. Plus I haven't even talked about what the impact could be on NY, if they were to also close the 7th & 8th Avenue subways, since they also right right by MSG.

Nothing like a bunch of politicians needing to have a big party for no reason, just so they can inconvienence 250,000 people every day for an entire week. :angry:

What you likely will see is a curtailment of services during periods when high profile politicians like the Pres and Cheney are in the Garden. It'll be interesting nonetheless. Amtrak Police will be out in full force and looking for anything suspicious that's for sure.

battalion51 said:
What you likely will see is a curtailment of services during periods when high profile politicians like the Pres and Cheney are in the Garden. It'll be interesting nonetheless. Amtrak Police will be out in full force and looking for anything suspicious that's for sure.
Amtrak Poilce!!! Don't think they'll be protecting the president during the convention. Penn Station, MSG, and the area surrounding it will be sworming with secret service agents. Amtrak Police will probably reamain on basic duty within the station.

I'd have to guess Amtrak Police, along with the FBI, Secret Service, CIA, and New York City Police will all be heavily involved in Convention Security.

battalion51 said:
I'd have to guess Amtrak Police, along with the FBI, Secret Service, CIA, and New York City Police will all be heavily involved in Convention Security.
You got them all right, except for one. :)

The CIA can't be there. They are not allowed by law to do anything domestic, which means that they cannot operate within the boarders of the US.

Does that fall under the NSA's jurisdiction then? I forgot the Dept of Homeland Security as well.

battalion51 said:
Does that fall under the NSA's jurisdiction then? I forgot the Dept of Homeland Security as well.
I don't know if the NSA would get involved or not, sorry. :(

As for the Dept. of Homeland Security, they don't really have a police force as it where. They just have the power to control all of the local, state, and federal agencies and to coordinate their efforts.

However in this case, since you are dealing with the security of the President, Homeland would probably still take a back seat to the Secret Service. I don't think that there is anything in the act that created Homeland that would give them the power to usurp the Secret Service's mandate to protect the President at all costs.

The Republican Convention will be August 30-September 2, 2004 at Madison Square Garden. Now for the mundane details. Most likely the President and Vice President will not be in the building during normal working hours but would be at MSG at times coinciding with Prime Time for television which would be after Rush Hour ends.

As for jurisdictional issues the Secret Service (and the Uniformed Division) will be heavily involved as will the following agencies (from my best guess): FBI, ATF, NYPD (numerous divisions including Transit Bureau), MTA Police, Amtrak Police, National Guard and other agencies operating behind the scenes including the intelligence community and any joint NYPD federal terrorisim task forces. However the duty for candidate and diplomatic protection is in the hands of the Secret Service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back