Bombardier Turbine Engine

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miami Joe

Lead Service Attendant
Does anyone know the status of this consist?

It's been sitting here at Hialeah, at the Tri-Rail shop and gets moved around the shop.

It's still looks like the clip on the History Channel and the Amfleet car is coupled. The nose cap is always in the "up" position to expose the coupler.

I've never seen it out on the mainline. Has it been abandoned, due to a lack of interest? :blink:

MJ B)

Joe,

It probably has been abandoned. After all there is no where that it can run as intended. The NEC is the only US corridor that can permit 150 MPH running, and then for only 18 miles.

After that there is only one place that I know of that allows 110 MPH running, something that the P42's can already do. From there it's down to 90 MPH in a few places.

So who needs a higher priced Turbine Engine, that no one has tools for or training on how to repair it? Especially when it can be used for its intended purpose, high-speed running.

Hi Alan!!! :D

Good point!!! After seeing it on the History Channel, I came to the same conclusion.

I know that Bombardier/Alstrom is downsizing, but why would they leave it here? The cost of moving it as freight? Wouldn't it be worth more as scrap?

I remember it coming on CSX as freight and hoping to hear it run!!! :rolleyes:

Will go over tomorrow and see what's up!!!

MJ B)

The Turbine locomotive is only owned 50% by Bombardier, the other half is owned by Dept of Transportation/Federal railway administration.

tools to repair ?? its just an ordinairy Acela carbody/trucks/controls.

the gas turbine is drop in and would not be fixed by anything as crude as a railway mechanic, it would be send to the turbine manufacturer.

Turbines are not known for being fuel-efficient. I don't know if HEP on that thing is diesel or whether it is powered by a PTO on the turbine. If the latter, then Sunset might have to have a tank-car immediately following the turbine loco just to survive all of the UP's siding "parking lots". I recall hearing a number of times now that jet airliners typically have about the same fuel flows in gpm at idle on the runway as they do cruising at altitude. The positives for a jet turbine are relatively few moving parts, non-reciprocating parts (i.e., the parts run in a continuous circle rather than changing direction of travel constantly, like the pistons in "regular" engines), wonderful reliability (at least for modern aircraft engines), and truly astounding power-to-weight ratios. The negative is primarily fuel efficiency as far as pure operating costs are concerned. And of course for Amtrak or any other organization wanting to use something like that for revenue-generating business service, what do you do about maintenance, parts-stocks, repair facilities and specially-trained personnel? You would probably have to have an infrastructure in place for that engine that would cost easily several times the cost of the engine itself, but in this case that cost is not apportionable across hundreds of locos, so the per-loco cost becomes astronomical. And those costs would be continuing, ongoing costs for as long as you had (and used) that loco. As I see it, the main value of that loco is the novelty, the idea, for pax that they are being pulled by a jet engine. The practical utility of it just isn't there.

The only place Bombardier really had an oppurtunity to sell the Jet Train quickly was with Florida HSR. The design they submitted used Jet Train Technology with a Single Main, both grave mistakes IMHO. The Comission said it wanted Electrics with a Double Track Main, so it doesn't look good for Jet Train technology. While the Jet Train was a good concept, like Joseph and his Technicolor Dreamcoat, it's ahead of its time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back