Booking a trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

K Sanders

My 11 year old son and I are planning a trip from MN to San Francisco this June/July to visit family. We are very flexible about dates. I want a sleeper car. I called the Amtrak reservations and a three day one way trip was over $800. Is there a cheaper way to book?

No, calling or using Amtrak's website will get you the same prices. The only way to alter the price is to try changing your travel dates if you can be flexible with your dates. If you have a AAA card, that will also help to save you a few dollars on the rail fare portion of the rate.

Also were you booking a roomette or a bedroom? That can dramatically vary the price too.

Remember also that booking a sleeper includes all of your meals in the dining car, so you won't have to pay for food. That helps to offset the cost of the sleeper some.

Finally let me warn you that as the sleeper sells out, prices rise. Since you are traveling during Amtrak's peak season you can bet that the sleeper will fill up rather quickly. So every day you wait to buy your tickets could mean that you'll see a price increase.

Also check the Amtrak web site for other discount options like the Veterans Advantage card and other discount cards. These can give discounts that might help lower your over all trip costs!

Check around for a lot of different dates on the website. It's a little bit clumsy but once you get the hang of it you'll get a lot of information. Write it down. Prices should vary dramatically on different days with no consistent rhyme or reason. Also the prices may be different tomorrow, generally trending upward but not always so keep checking. The Southwest Chief is most expensive, then the Zephyr, then the Builder, generally speaking, for trains from Chicago to the west coast. GOOD LUCK and keep trying!

Back