Books on Passenger Rail in USA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

National Limited

Service Attendant
I'm finding that I am wanting to do some indepth reading into the transition from private RR passenger lines to the formation of Amtrak and also just into the history of Amtrak. I'd be curious to know if anyone has a favorite book they could recommend.

I recently found the book "DERAILED: What Went Wrong and What to Do About America's Passenger Trains" by Joseph Vranich for $8. It seems from the discription that this isn't a positive review of Amtrak. Anyone have opinions on this book? Is it worth $8?

Although it's somewhat old, the book "All Aboard Amtrak" by Mike Schaefer does a GREAT job illustrating the first 20 years of Amtrak's life...1971 to 1991. It gives you insight as to what took place on pretty much a year-by-year basis. The book highlights all Amtrak trains in numerical order (The Sunset is first, Silver Service is last), and it talks about the equipment in fairly good detail. If you can still find it, it's a great book.

I brought it along with me on train #20 on 7/20/93 and I got 2 conductor's autograph's which still grace the inside cover.

Stephen in NOL

:lol: A Conductor's Autograph, that's a new one for me. I've heard of people photographing their Conductors (I've been in several of those pictures) but never getting an Autograph. If it was an Engineer I could understand since we are such hot stuff.

Well, I was only 14 when I got the autographs....the conductors chatted with me about trains for quite a while if I can remember.

I would have got the Engineers autograph in MEI when I got to jump up in the cab for a few seconds....but I didn't have any advance notice so my pen and book weren't handy. Excuses excuses I know lol

:D

National Limited said:
I recently found the book "DERAILED: What Went Wrong and What to Do About America's Passenger Trains" by Joseph Vranich for $8. It seems from the discription that this isn't a positive review of Amtrak. Anyone have opinions on this book? Is it worth $8?
The book is largely negative against Amtrak, although Varich is still a supporter of rail transit, unlike some who oppose all types of rail transportation.

There are a few good points that he does make in the book, although a lot of it is either just wishful thinking on his part or simply not practical with the current political climate.

You should also understand that he once worked for Amtrak and his employment did end well. So that has something to do with his view of Amtrak.

The book shouldn't be your Amtrak bible as it were, nor should it be your first source for info on Amtrak. However it can provide an interesting contrast and may still be worth a read, if only to gain insight into why some people do hate Amtrak.

On the other hand, Amfleet provided a rather nice list for the positive side of Amtrak.

NativeSon5859 said:
Well, I was only 14 when I got the autographs....the conductors chatted with me about trains for quite a while if I can remember.
I would have got the Engineers autograph in MEI when I got to jump up in the cab for a few seconds....but I didn't have any advance notice so my pen and book weren't handy. Excuses excuses I know lol

:D
Often times down my way the Engineers will come back for a meal or a cup of coffee, or to consult with a Priest (one Engineer actually did after he found out a friend of his died). So they can be seen, just look for semi-well dressed guys with Amtrak ID's.

National Limited said:
I'm finding that I am wanting to do some indepth reading into the transition from private RR passenger lines to the formation of Amtrak and also just into the history of Amtrak. I'd be curious to know if anyone has a favorite book they could recommend.
I too have read DERAILED... checked it out of the library a few years ago. I concur with Alan - definitely not a positive review of Amtrak. Your local library might carry it - it may make for a good preview before actually purchasing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back