Boston Sleeper Dropped on Lake Shore Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
Viewliner sleepers still are in short supply; with spot cancellations of the cars continuing on the Twilight Shoreliner, Boston Lake Shore Limited and Three Rivers. To help Amtrak catch up on work these cars need, the Boston Lake Shore sleeper is dropped for the entire month of March.
This comes from NARP's March 7 Hotline.

Amfleet said:
Viewliner sleepers still are in short supply; with spot cancellations of the cars continuing on the Twilight Shoreliner, Boston Lake Shore Limited and Three Rivers. To help Amtrak catch up on work these cars need, the Boston Lake Shore sleeper is dropped for the entire month of March.
This comes from NARP's March 7 Hotline.
That Sucks, but as long as I get my sleeper in 1 Week 6 Days, and return trip on the Silver Meteor I'll be happy. I hope this doesn't happen again to any train. This is bad.

It is mainly out of Chicago and Boston. Boston does not have any standby sleepers and niether does Chicago I beleive. New York has a little more equipment to play around with since it is a "hub" for all Viewliners. The Silver Service trains are probably considered "priority" right now so you should be fine. :)

Amfleet said:
It is mainly out of Chicago and Boston. Boston does not have any standby sleepers and niether does Chicago I beleive. New York has a little more equipment to play around with since it is a "hub" for all Viewliners. The Silver Service trains are probably considered "priority" right now so you should be fine. :)
I know, thats why the Boston Section doesn't have a Sleeper, and its only the Three Rivers, and Twilight Shoreliner that would experience spot cancellations. So looks good to me.

Viewliner, you most definitely will have a sleeper. I spoke to a friend of mine who is a car attendant based in Miami the other day. He said that all trains have either sold out or nearly sold out accomodations in the near future, so unless Hialeah's stock starts to run low, you'll be fine. :D

You guys have been lucky down there. No Horizons or Lounges substuting for Diners yet. Hopefully it'll stay that way!!! If I do go to Chicago this summer I think I will be sticking to the Capitol Limited where I can have trust in a sleeper and a good crew.

Amfleet said:
You guys have been lucky down there. No Horizons or Lounges substuting for Diners yet. Hopefully it'll stay that way!!! If I do go to Chicago this summer I think I will be sticking to the Capitol Limited where I can have trust in a sleeper and a good crew.
Good Idea. B) :)

Amfleet said:
I'm also happy with the progress at Beech Grove and it seems that they're getting about 2-3 Superliners out every month.
Me too, lets hope they can get enough to reequip the Cardinal, and Soon!!! B) :)

Well in order to equip the Cardinal I beleive it only has one trainset with 2 sleepers, diner, lounge, and two coaches. I don't think it has/did have a crew dorm, but crew members occupied a couple of bedrooms in each sleeper.

Amfleet said:
Well in order to equip the Cardinal I beleive it only has one trainset with 2 sleepers, diner, lounge, and two coaches. I don't think it has/did have a crew dorm, but crew members occupied a couple of bedrooms in each sleeper.
Good it'll be easier to do then. B)

You are indeed correct that it takes one trainset. Two days a week it's in and out same day, but the rest of the week it has a day off.

Ok, so much to cover in one post here.

The Cardinal requires two trainsets one for each direction, not one trainset.

Next last that I knew; each Superliner consist had 1 sleeper, 1 diner, 1 sightseer lounge and 2 to 3 coaches depending on the time of year. It did not have a trans-dorm, which made it rather cool since I could look out the upper level door and see right over the engines. It was almost like having a dome, and it was the first time I could see all the upcoming signals.

As for the crew of the Capital, I think that they are based out of Chicago, but I could be wrong.

Finally when I was up at Albany last weekend, the 449 came in with a Horizon coach in the consist.

Another train where the "Dome Car" concept can be found is on the SB Auto Train. Because the trainset runs as a push-pull set (from the passenger car standpoint) the Coach dining car on the SB train looks right out over the engines.

Your right. At first I thought since it was a trice weekly train by the time the train got into Chicago or DC it go back out as the counterpart, but that wouldn't work because #50 arrives in DC about 9 hours after #51's departure.

Amfleet said:
Your right. At first I thought since it was a trice weekly train by the time the train got into Chicago or DC it go back out as the counterpart, but that wouldn't work because #50 arrives in DC about 9 hours after #51's departure.
Bingo! Give that man a prize. :) :lol: :D

That is correct, that one arrives later than the departure of the other. I even went into the hole on my trip waiting for the meet with 51.

Another train where the "Dome Car" concept can be found is on the SB Auto Train. Because the trainset runs as a push-pull set (from the passenger car standpoint) the Coach dining car on the SB train looks right out over the engines.
On one trip we ate breakfast in that car and we were seated at the table right near the end door. I remember looking out it through the whole meal. B)

There is still no substitute for being in the engine. While a Cab Car comes close, it's still not the same experience.

(Drool) Even a switcher is pretty cool, especially when going around bends and seeing your train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back