Boston Subway Train Leaves Station Without Operator

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lo2e

Lead Service Attendant
Courtesy of Boston Globe: http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/12/10/red-line-train-leaves-station-without-operator/L5NzTcDEX8dMQCQLvC7UBN/story.html

A Red Line train left Braintree Station without an operator Thursday morning, according to state officials, who say they are investigating a report of tampering involving a safety device.

The inbound train left around 6:08 a.m., and made no stops as it traveled through Quincy Adams, Quincy Center, and Wollaston stations. MBTA workers stopped the train just past North Quincy Station after shutting down the third rail.
This could be REALLY interesting to see what the investigation finds out, as right now they seem to be fairly confident that someone who knew what they were doing went in and caused the train to do this. The article states that the operator got out for a moment to investigate a signal issue.

I was going to say "How could it run past red signals without some automatic brake applying"... But the article states the operator alighted in order to put the train into a red signal bypass mode.

A blessing they were able to turn the power off before it ran into another train!

I will check there is someone in the cab if I ever ride that line :p

Ed :cool:

Back