Boulder and Track Problems in Western Montana

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmbgeg

Engineer
I have been watching the status of train 7/27 on the Amtrak Status-West map. A Service Disruption tag just popped up. The status link on amtrak.com also indicated service disruption.

I just spoke with the Select Plus reservation line. They told me that there is a rockslide (boulders) near West Glacier and that they have backed the train up to Essex to evaluate the situation. The tracks are damaged.

I am told that they may cancel the train or do a Spokane/PDX and Spokane/SEA bustitution. That is always fun when you have a sleeper ticket. That puts a crimp in my San Francisco holiday plans.

I would assume that this could also affect tonight's 8/28.

The accuracy of this report is subject to the accuracy of what I was told by Select Plus. If you are booked on these trains, verify for yourself.

I have been watching the status of train 7/27 on the Amtrak Status-West map. A Service Disruption tag just popped up. The status link on amtrak.com also indicated service disruption.
I just spoke with the Select Plus reservation line. They told me that there is a rockslide (boulders) near West Glacier and that they have backed the train up to Essex to evaluate the situation. The tracks are damaged.

I am told that they may cancel the train or do a Spokane/PDX and Spokane/SEA bustitution. That is always fun when you have a sleeper ticket. That puts a crimp in my San Francisco holiday plans.

I would assume that this could also affect tonight's 8/28.

The accuracy of this report is subject to the accuracy of what I was told by Select Plus. If you are booked on these trains, verify for yourself.

The story evolves. The agent that I just spoke with says that a boulder actually struck the engine. No injuries. She said that 7/27 may run but with a 6-7 hour delay. There goes my Coast Starlight connection in PDX.

Would a bus connection be set up for passengers making that transfer, perhaps from PSC to KFS?

Would a bus connection be set up for passengers making that transfer, perhaps from PSC to KFS?
First, I don't think that a six hour delay can be closed by that bus bridge, but second, having paid and expecting a bedroom, I would not want to take two buses (spk PSC/PSC/Klamath) to get to California unless there was a family or other imperative.

Train is underway again, now 5:58 late out of West Glacier.
I just asked Amtrak if I jumped on board 27 in Spokane as planned whether I would make my connection to CS in PDX. They said it would be a big coin toss. I was considering reinstating my ticket, after cancelling last night, but not to roll the dice and end up stranded in Portland because I misconnect with 11. I like PDX, but the purpose of my trip was to visit San Francisco. Home for the holiday I guess.

I just asked Amtrak if I jumped on board 27 in Spokane as planned whether I would make my connection to CS in PDX. They said it would be a big coin toss. I was considering reinstating my ticket, after cancelling last night, but not to roll the dice and end up stranded in Portland because I misconnect with 11. I like PDX, but the purpose of my trip was to visit San Francisco. Home for the holiday I guess.
That really does suck! Guess it's that time of year where the mudslides and maybe even snow will cause lots of late running in this part of the country!

Hope that wherever you are Thanksgiving is a happy time for you and everyone else in this great and blessed land we love! As another poster said,

special thanks to those in uniform away from home in other lands!

San Francisco will still be there, hope you can rebook, perhaps for Christmas or New Years and that Amtrak might give you a Christmas voucher for your troubles even though it wasnt their fault! Do the fares go high bucket up that way for the holidays? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as a debrief, the lead engine derailed after a large boulder strike 3 miles west of Essex. The crew was able to uncouple the two engines and reverse the consist (minus the derailed lead engine) back to Essex. In the meantime, BNSF got to work on rerailing the lead engine, and reversed it back to Essex to recouple with the rest of the train. Busses were looked at, but nothing was available, so everyone just stayed on board. For the passengers scheduled to board at Spokane for points west on 27/7, busses were apparently operated to keep those folks on time.

Rafi

That really does suck! Guess it's that time of year where the mudslides and maybe even snow will cause lots of late running in this part of the country!

Hope that wherever you are Thanksgiving is a happy time for you and everyone else in this great and blessed land we love! As another poster said,

San Francisco will still be there, hope you can rebook, perhaps for Christmas or New Years and that Amtrak might give you a Christmas voucher for your troubles even though it wasnt their fault! Do the fares go high bucket up that way for the holidays? :)
Jim,

There are some trips that are important to complete, others not. This was not. As for New Years I am going to shoot for SPK/CHI/ FTL round trip.

Just as a debrief, the lead engine derailed after a large boulder strike 3 miles west of Essex. The crew was able to uncouple the two engines and reverse the consist (minus the derailed lead engine) back to Essex. In the meantime, BNSF got to work on rerailing the lead engine, and reversed it back to Essex to recouple with the rest of the train. Busses were looked at, but nothing was available, so everyone just stayed on board. For the passengers scheduled to board at Spokane for points west on 27/7, busses were apparently operated to keep those folks on time.
Rafi
Rafi,

Thanks. When they told me they had not secured Spokane/PDX busses yet I gave up for the night.

By the way, I believe that we may have met at LAX Traxx then on 14 north, based upon your similar story about the bad ordered sleeper from PDX.

So despite hitting a boulder and derailing, the lead engine was in good enough shape to continue? Or did the train go the rest of the way to SPK with two engines?

Rafi

Rafi
Amtrak's Thanksgiving hitch. Glad its over... (ignoring the MOW vehicle blocking the route to ALB yesterday).

Busses were looked at, but nothing was available, so everyone just stayed on board.
Given that it's a holiday, and thus school is out, couldn't they have chartered a few school buses if nothing else was available? :)

"You mean I paid for a bedroom and now I'm going to have to travel for six hours on a SCHOOL BUS???!!!"

Busses were looked at, but nothing was available, so everyone just stayed on board.
Given that it's a holiday, and thus school is out, couldn't they have chartered a few school buses if nothing else was available? :)

"You mean I paid for a bedroom and now I'm going to have to travel for six hours on a SCHOOL BUS???!!!"
Exactly.

Exactly.
Had that happened you could have called Amtrak and gotten a refund of your sleeper fare and perhaps even a voucher for future travel.

Exactly.
Had that happened you could have called Amtrak and gotten a refund of your sleeper fare and perhaps even a voucher for future travel.
Of course, ALC, I have my ticket to apply to my next trip.

Of course, ALC, I have my ticket to apply to my next trip.
Then there isn't much point to moping about it, is there? Just make the best of what you can and enjoy the rest of your Thanksgiving weekend.

Just caught your post about us meeting in LAX in the Traxx Lounge before the No sleeper fiasco in PDX! Yeah, you had Bedroom E IIRC, I saw you only a couple of times in the PPC including the wine and cheese tasting! I do remember that you posted that you spent the night in PDX @ your expense, did Amtrak send you a voucher or credit your sleepr fare? It really sucks to miss planned trips as we have all said/experienced (mine were airline fiascos,

another reason not to fly! :lol: ), hope you can make your next trip without the NW weather causing delays/cancellations! Thats the one thing that keeps me from going on a CZ/CS/EB trip in snow season, I dont want to get stranded in SEA or PDX on a dreary winter day since Ive been there on the beautiful,sunny, warm days that makes living there such a pleasure! As much as you ride and with me planning more trips Im sure well meet again on the avenue as Bob Dylan said, hope you had a good holiday anyway, just not on trains and in a great City! (SF is allright!! :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
Just caught your post about us meeting in LAX in the Traxx Lounge before the No sleeper fiasco in PDX! Yeah, you had Bedroom E IIRC, I saw you only a couple of times in the PPC including the wine and cheese tasting! I do remember that you posted that you spent the night in PDX @ your expense, did Amtrak send you a voucher or credit your sleepr fare? It really sucks to miss planned trips as we have all said/experienced (mine were airline fiascos,

another reason not to fly! :lol: ), hope you can make your next trip without the NW weather causing delays/cancellations! Thats the one thing that keeps me from going on a CZ/CS/EB trip in snow season, I dont want to get stranded in SEA or PDX on a dreary winter day since Ive been there on the beautiful,sunny, warm days that makes living there such a pleasure! As much as you ride and with me planning more trips Im sure well meet again on the avenue as Bob Dylan said, hope you had a good holiday anyway, just not on trains and in a great City! (SF is allright!! :) )
Always great to connect with a board member. I should be in San Fran now. Boulder damage to 27.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back