Breakfast near Los Angeles Union Station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafi

Conductor
Baltimore, MD (primary); Culpeper, VA; Washington,
Well, I'm working my way west. Just left Flagstaff on the Chief and am not looking forward to having breakfast between 5 and 6 AM on the train (they're closing the dining car at 6 to prep for arrival). Are there any places within walking distance of LAUS that serve a good breakfast? The more historically significant, or quindicentially LA, the better. I'm connecting to the Starlight at 10:15, so I'll have some time to relax, thankfully.

By the way, thanks again for all of the Kansas City recommendations. I'm going to follow up in that topic now as well.

Loving the trip. Be sure to check out my blog for the full trip report with pictures as I go (including live webcam from the train!)

Rafi

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm working my way west. Just left Flagstaff on the Chief and am not looking forward to having breakfast between 5 and 6 AM on the train (they're closing the dining car at 6 to prep for arrival). Are there any places within walking distance of LAUS that serve a good breakfast? The more historically significant, or quindicentially LA, the better. I'm connecting to the Starlight at 10:15, so I'll have some time to relax, thankfully.
By the way, thanks again for all of the Kansas City recommendations. I'm going to follow up in that topic now as well.

Loving the trip. Be sure to check out my blog for the full trip report with pictures as I go (including live webcam from the train!)

Rafi
Philippe's opens 6am. After breakfast, walk back through Olvera Street. Pick up some fresh churros if they are open that early. You may also have time to get over to Angels Flight, about 1 mile or so from the station.

Rafi, Philippe's is quintessentially L.A., historically significant from a local gastronomic standpoint, well within walking distance of LAUS, and serves a mean breakfast at reasonable prices. You can get a signature French dip sandwich at all open hours, but only the beef early in the morning.

Exit LAUS to Alameda, walk to your right across Cesar Chavez (downtown beginning of Sunset Blvd.) past the old Terminal Annex (twin Moorish domes, and pretty awesome interior worth a look), then cross Alameda at the light to Philippe's on the corner.

I don't think you'd find much happening at Olvera Street so early, though it might be worth a stroll through on the way back from Philippe's.

Denny's is quintessentially nonquintessential, but there's one across the street out the back (bus) side of LAUS.

Also out the back way of LAUS is the LACMTA headquarters tower, which you can see from the left side of your train on arrival. I understand the cafeteria on the second level is open to the public during business hours; I've only been there for lunches at weekend NARP/RailPAC meetings. Outdoor tables have so-so views of LAUS platforms and approach tracks, while outside the level is a wraparound walkway with more extensive views of L.A. in other directions.

Philippe's isn't just an AU thing either, the morning after our arrival on the CS, Amy's Aunt and Uncle came to pick us up at the hotel and show us around town that day before departing that evening on the Chief. Where did they choose to take us to breakfast? Philippe's, of course. :) I had the beef sandwich for breakfast, and it was everything I expected and more. Amy and her family all had breakfast items, and raved about them.

Cash only, although there is an ATM on the premises.

Hi, Rafi, Happy Saturday!

Here's another concurrence that breakfast at Phillipe's is the way to go; I'm jealous!

While at the restaurant, don't miss the RR-centric display put up by the Los Angeles Railroad Heritage Foundation. It's located along the walls in a side dining room (towards the restrooms). Here's a description lifted from their website:

Hollywood – Trains - Streetcars and the Movies

The current display at LARHF’s Satellite in Philippe’s French Dip Restaurant, is showcasing some amazing early 20th century archive photographs of movie making that feature all kinds of trains and streetcars. The silent era stories starred such actors as Harold Lloyd, Helen Gibson, Buster Keaton and Laurel & Hardy in the photographs. The curator for the photographic element in this display is Mar Wanamaker, acknowledged as Hollywood’s historian. An authority on the history of movie making he knows how, when and where it happened. He is the owner and curator of Bison Archives, which was established by him almost 40 years ago. The models in the display add a third dimension to the photographs since they duplicate the equipment and action. A new acquisition of models for LARHF is a beautiful set of Union Pacific 19th century woodside cars and an AMERICAN type locomotive, the famous UP No. 119. Although many of the splendid scratch-build streetcar models have been seen before in the LARHF exhibits, these particular cars crafted by Bill Everett are also stars of the early movies. Both Pacific Electric and the Los Angeles Railroad are represented in this exhibit. Don’t miss it!

And here's a weblink to LARHF:

http://www.larhf.org/exhibits/index.html

Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back