Breakfast on CA Zepher

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronnie1a

Train Attendant
I am catching the train in Reno, heading toward SF area. The schedule calls for 8:36 am arrival. Assuming it is on time will they still be serving breakfast?

I am catching the train in Reno, heading toward SF area. The schedule calls for 8:36 am arrival. Assuming it is on time will they still be serving breakfast?
Yes. Last call for breakfast on most LD trains seems to be around 9:15 - ish, so you should have some wiggle room.

I was thinking maybe eastbound. I've been to the Emeryville station, and they've got a sign noting that there is no breakfast service on the Zephyr the first morning.

I was thinking maybe eastbound. I've been to the Emeryville station, and they've got a sign noting that there is no breakfast service on the Zephyr the first morning.
The OP's question concerned the CZ westbound from Reno to SF.

Westbound if the train is on time you will receive Breakfast if you are boarding in a Sleeper in Reno. If you are in coach you should be able to make your way over to the dining car after your ticket is collected.

Both times I have done the trip in the past 3 months I was in a sleeper riding from RNO-EMY and the train was on time. The SCA encouraged us both times to go up and get breakfast (as it was included in the ticket price) or they could deliver it to us if we wanted to settle in a bit first.

Last call generally occurred either just after departing Reno after the coach passengers settled in up to about halfway between Reno and Truckee. I'd venture to say both times it happened around 9am or so. It is a little on the earlier side as they tend to do lunch a bit earlier to allow them time to complete service and pack up before arriving into Emeryville. Usually last call was around Roseville assuming a close to on-time schedule.

Actually, I am planning a trip from EMY on the CZ, so I was wondering about this myself, so thanks!

Actually, I am planning a trip from EMY on the CZ, so I was wondering about this myself, so thanks!
What I was thinking of doing was taking the kid to Sacramento on the CZ to go to the Railroad Museum and maybe have breakfast in the dining car. However, it costs more AGR points since it's not a "special route". I think their cafe car would still be open, but it wouldn't be the same. When we took the CS down to San Jose, the kid's meal in the dining car with eggs, potatoes, bread, milk, and juice was a ridiculously good value.

There are some decent places to get breakfast at Emeryville Public Market. I used to work in the area. Peet's wouldn't be too bad for a coffee and pastry. For those who haven't been there, these places are accessed via the pedestrian bridge.

1510722348_c68da4e515_z.jpg

Yeah... if the trains are on schedule the only way to get a meal in the dining car while staying in the Bay Area would be taking the CS southbound. The CS northbound comes in after meal time. The CZ Westbound is Discharge only from Sac on Westward and the CZ Eastbound doesn't serve any meals until East of Sacramento (Lunch).

WIth the recent schedule adjustment on the CS it actually has been much more on-time (even on-time on a weekday!) into San Jose you might be able to sneak in a run from SJC to EMY and get dinner on board the train. Of course that could be stretching it but dinner on a train might be fun?

Yeah... if the trains are on schedule the only way to get a meal in the dining car while staying in the Bay Area would be taking the CS southbound. The CS northbound comes in after meal time. The CZ Westbound is Discharge only from Sac on Westward and the CZ Eastbound doesn't serve any meals until East of Sacramento (Lunch).
WIth the recent schedule adjustment on the CS it actually has been much more on-time (even on-time on a weekday!) into San Jose you might be able to sneak in a run from SJC to EMY and get dinner on board the train. Of course that could be stretching it but dinner on a train might be fun?
It's less than CC, although that depends on bucket pricing for CS while CC pricing is fixed. When I got my 10-ride, I thought of maybe extending it to SJC, but I really couldn't justify it. CS was fun for a weekend morning ride, but evening I think my wife would get ticked off if I got back too late. For the commute it might be a little bit too long for me. Doesn't it take almost two hours?

It wouldn't be ideal for communiting but sometimes I use it as such from EMY to SAC if I miss the last CC. Depends on the points you are going between. I do believe the Cafe car prices are higher though than those on the CC. I also noticed the CC and SJ (same type of cafe car and menu) have lower prices for the similar/same items than the PS down south. Of course full meal service is nice and somewhat of a novalty every once in a while, though hard to achieve on the trains going through the Bay Area.

It wouldn't be ideal for communiting but sometimes I use it as such from EMY to SAC if I miss the last CC. Depends on the points you are going between. I do believe the Cafe car prices are higher though than those on the CC. I also noticed the CC and SJ (same type of cafe car and menu) have lower prices for the similar/same items than the PS down south. Of course full meal service is nice and somewhat of a novalty every once in a while, though hard to achieve on the trains going through the Bay Area.
Anyone know if a 10-ride or monthly can be used on the LD routes? It looks like I can actually book a 10-ride Emeryville to Reno, which has to be CZ. However, if someone has Emeryville to San Jose, it would be different. That's mostly CC, but you could take CS. How would a 10-ride be used on an LD train?

Anyone know if a 10-ride or monthly can be used on the LD routes? It looks like I can actually book a 10-ride Emeryville to Reno, which has to be CZ. However, if someone has Emeryville to San Jose, it would be different. That's mostly CC, but you could take CS. How would a 10-ride be used on an LD train?
Doesn't look like you can use a 10-ride on the California Zephyr:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Content_C&pagename=am%2FPopup&cid=1241267289615

10-Ride tickets can not be used on Long Distance Train Routes. If you purchsed a 10-ride from EMY to RNO it would be via the CC from EMY to SAC and the connecting Amtrak California Thruway bus from SAC to RNO. Same thing when I commute from EMY to SAC. If I miss the last CC, I need to purchase a ticket for the CS to get home even though I have a 10-ride and at the low bucket the CS actually costs less than the CC.

How do 10-ride and monthlies work on reserved routes? I'm pretty sure you can get one on the San Joaquin. I read about the Surfliner, where people with 10-rides (or even people just buying them just to get on) have gotten on during the Thanksgiving period when it's reserved coach.

In theory you get on any train and corresponding Thruway connection (if required) and use the same procedures as an unreserved train. For a Thruway the ticket is punched on the train as all California Thruway trips must be booked with a train trip (in theory).

In the rare event a train is sold out, the person with the 10-ride would, in theory, be asked to yield their seat and sit in the Cafe Car. They would not be kicked off the train unless of some extrordinary circumstance. I have yet to see a San Joaquin sell out 100% and have 100% of the passengers show up.

As for unreserved routes... as you know sometimes it can be Standing Room Only. For the Pacific Surfliner there are specific restrictions on passes during the Thanksgiving week including Metrolink pass reciprocality rules.

Thank you so much for this information. I'm taking a little day trip in sleeper from RNO to SAC on Tuesday on the CZ (coming home on Megabus because I have classes in the morning) and was wondering if breakfast would be served when I boarded in Reno.

No breakfast service in the diner on the eastbound CZ when departing from Emeryville. First call for lunch in the diner usually is made shortly after leaving Roseville.

Breakfast items are available, however, for purchase from the attendant in the lower level of the Superliner Lounge Car beginning about 20 minutes after leaving Emeryville

Thank you so much for this information. I'm taking a little day trip in sleeper from RNO to SAC on Tuesday on the CZ (coming home on Megabus because I have classes in the morning) and was wondering if breakfast would be served when I boarded in Reno.
IF #5 is Running on Time Reno Should Be Last Call for Breakfast and Lunch will be Served in the Sierras Before you get to Sacramento! Enjoy the Beautiful Ride, there hasn't been Much Snow this Year but it still should be a Great Trip! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The one time we did it was a round trip Emeryville to Reno, coach both ways, last March, just to view mountains and snow. We bought lunch on the train eastbound and breakfast westbound. The train was somewhere over 30 minutes late leaving Reno. Evidently they change crews at Reno, as the people checking the tickets were the on train operating crew. All tickets were checked in the station, and not on the train. We had no problem getting breakfast. We did go to the diner immediately after getting a seat located. There was no indication of being rushed, but the last people to get seated were only a few minutes after we go ours. It was a good meal.

According to the conductor, the train was on time into Sparks (the yard for Reno) but was delayed there for the attachment of a private car. We still were into Emeryville early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back