Brief Trip Report

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SLY

Train Attendant
I wanted to show my appreciation to everyone who helped get me over the hump of making this trip happen, which was partially an emotional hump! :D

My original "help thread:" http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?showtopic=6453

We took the 646 Keystone which had us leaving Parkesburg at 8:36AM. I was so nervous not to miss the train since I knew it wouldn't take long to swoop in and keep moving. I would say the train was within 4 minutes of the expected arrival time at Parkesburg.

Once onboard, I was pleasantly surprised to find a nice clean car, a quiet ride, and a friendly attendant. I did find it strange that someone boarded in Thorndale without a ticket, and was sold one onboard for "6 bucks" to get to Philly. Seemed cheap!

I was pretty well fixed to checking out where we were out the window most of the ride, even though I was so tired from waking up every 1/2 hour all night before we left in anticipation and possible fear of being late!

We arrived in Philadelphia and the train changes directions so we switched seats to face forward on the second leg to NY.

We then returned on the 643 Keystone leaving NYP at 10:55AM the next morning. Once again, a friendly crew (who even humored me with some of the PA announcements) and a clean and rather smooth ride.

I watched a movie on my portable DVD player on both legs of the trip which was easily plugged in at my seat which I found to be quite nice.

I was quite surprised with the ample leg room and recline in the seats for a standard "coach" train.

All in all, a great trip to NYC which reaffirms my yearning to take a longer trip across Country and do the overnight thing. It will be another learning experience for me, but I trust that everyone here will be a big help as always.

Thanks for all the tips!

I always amuses me the reaction of newbies to train travel when they exclaim positively about the amount of seat and leg room they find. Air travel has conditioned us to accept no room and minimal comfort to get someplace.

Great point Racer. I actually have become a bit opposite these days since I am used to the room Amtrak affords (not to mention the seat comfort), and am always a bit disappointed everytime I get on a plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back