Brightline Trains West!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my experience, for any project involving rail construction in the US, it is prudent to add 3 to 5 years to the original projected date, irrespective of what it involves. :rolleyes: And depending on the complexity, doubling the cost before it is all said and done, is usually not outside the realm of possibilities, though there are a few exceptions I can think of. Brightline Florida is not an example of an exception BTW IIRC.
My Russian engineer colleague said "Project schedule is witchcraft."

While I understand it is optimistic, it's a different animal compared to the Florida project. Unlike Florida, Brightline West is building the right of way, rather then using an existing right of way that may have something that could impact service like drawbridges. Although I have been wrong before on something that I thought was straight forward. We shall see.
Brightline West is also serving the LA area at Rancho Cucamonga, which is a considerable distance from the center of the LA metro area. If they tried building a high-speed line all the way to LA, it would take many additional years and billions more $$$$. I think their long-term plan is to operate service into LA on CA High-Speed Rail whenever that gets built (hopefully some time in the 21st Century.) Right now, an LA-Vegas trip will involve a change of trains with Metrolink at Rancho Cucamonga (or maybe they'll run through on Metrolink tracks, but it won't be high speed rail from Rancho Cucamonga to LA.) Or else people will just drive to Rancho Cucamonga, this being LA, after all.

(or maybe they'll run through on Metrolink tracks, but it won't be high speed rail from Rancho Cucamonga to LA.) Or else people will just drive to Rancho Cucamonga, this being LA, after all.
They will need to at least electrify to LAX (Amtrak) which will as usual cost a pretty penny in and of itself, the way things go around here.

They will need to at least electrify to LAX (Amtrak) which will as usual cost a pretty penny in and of itself, the way things go around here.
They won't be for now, San Bernardo line has major capacity issues with long single track sections that are a challenge to fix given the location.
be interesting to see if the state law that says just hands the high desert corridor to brightline along with some LA metro money will pass.

They won't be for now, San Bernardo line has major capacity issues with long single track sections that are a challenge to fix given the location.
be interesting to see if the state law that says just hands the high desert corridor to brightline along with some LA metro money will pass.
Oh I agree. I was just pointing out that there are significant cost items even if there was available capacity.

There would be alternatives . Maybe most comfortable for passengers but maybe problematic operationally would be a diesel locomotive to drag the high speed set . There are precedents for this in france for example where in the past TGV sets have been dragged (this is no longer necessary today as the line in question has been electrified) . The next best solution would be a timed connection with thru tickets and seat reservations and that will wait for a late running connecting train .

There would be alternatives . Maybe most comfortable for passengers but maybe problematic operationally would be a diesel locomotive to drag the high speed set . There are precedents for this in france for example where in the past TGV sets have been dragged (this is no longer necessary today as the line in question has been electrified) . The next best solution would be a timed connection with thru tickets and seat reservations and that will wait for a late running connecting train .
Since there is no capacity for any additional traffic on the line in question, through service won't happen, as has been pointed out a few posts above.

Brightline tends to reduce its dependency on others schedules. To what extent we will know soon from how well they coordinate or not with TriRail in Miami. They tend to do their own so called Last Mile extensions using Lyft and Uber runnig special fleet of Teslas and such. Maybe they will make TriRail and Metro Link Last Mile partners. We will see.

Since there is no capacity for any additional traffic on the line in question, through service won't happen, as has been pointed out a few posts above.

Brightline tends to reduce its dependency on others schedules. To what extent we will know soon from how well they coordinate or not with TriRail in Miami. They tend to do their own so called Last Mile extensions using Lyft and Uber runnig special fleet of Teslas and such. Maybe they will make TriRail and Metro Link Last Mile partners. We will see.
Metrolink and brightline will have timed transfers which is why they dropped from 45mins to hourly to start

Brightline West is also serving the LA area at Rancho Cucamonga, which is a considerable distance from the center of the LA metro area. If they tried building a high-speed line all the way to LA, it would take many additional years and billions more $$$$. I think their long-term plan is to operate service into LA on CA High-Speed Rail whenever that gets built (hopefully some time in the 21st Century.) Right now, an LA-Vegas trip will involve a change of trains with Metrolink at Rancho Cucamonga (or maybe they'll run through on Metrolink tracks, but it won't be high speed rail from Rancho Cucamonga to LA.) Or else people will just drive to Rancho Cucamonga, this being LA, after all.
A concept drawing shows the Rancho station integrated with a large parking garage.
https://www.cityofrc.us/news/rc-sbcta-approve-sale-property-for-Transit-Station

This is mostly a big infomercial for Brightline West, but in the first few minutes, they mention that the FRA has determined that on the first 45 miles in the I-15 corridor, Brightline has demonstrated adequate solutions for any environmental concerns. If this is true, it is a major step, since delays due to environmental issues have held up many projects to such an extent as to cause them to be canceled.

That's huge. I guess that explains why they were teasing construction in Vegas yesterday. I'm gonna be honest, I was worried they weren't gonna get that grant.
Sounds like they're going to be the big winner under the National Network heading for this year. They are receiving $3 billion of the $4.5 billion to be awarded and will probably most certainly get the most money of any program given this first year will be the most amount awarded.

Sounds like they're going to be the big winner under the National Network heading for this year. They are receiving $3 billion of the $4.5 billion to be awarded and will probably most certainly get the most money of any program given this first year will be the most amount awarded.
its phased not all in 1 go based on what I know

i thought this grant came from a bigger pool of money. It's still not surprising, considering the amount of lobbying and supporters they had.

i thought this grant came from a bigger pool of money. It's still not surprising, considering the amount of lobbying and supporters they had.
It did, NC/VA got 1B, CAHSR got 3B and thats just what we know so far

Ahh so over the scope of the four years? So maybe there will be some additional awards Friday as well. Clearly though this project is going to be one of the biggest winners in the bill.
idk over how many years.

And the Siemens web site notes that the American Pioneer "scales steep terrain" and is capable of maintaining speed on the grades present between Las Vegas and Rancho Cucamonga.
Is Brightline going to use these locomotives?
Yes. BTW, these are not just locomotives but full length articulated train sets with distributed power, that is trucks under many cars of the train have motors.

How will power go to the various motors? With multiple powered axels will there be any problems getting FRA to approve the power bus? Thinking of non approval of more than 2 EMUs power transfer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the party car is obviously aimed directly at Brightline West. Presumably if they do go for it it'll be open as a bar car or lounge when not booked by a group; it wouldn't be practical to swap it out with a regular car in a fixed trainset.

Back