Burritos at Albuquerque?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coachseats

Service Attendant
Two weeks from today I head out on the 3R and SWC to California. I remember reading somewhere that during the station stop on the SWC in Albuquerque, NM there is the opportunity to get off the train for awhile and walk around, buy some Native American wares, and grab a quick bite to eat, specifically at a place that prepares fresh burritos just for the train passengers. Was this a strange dream of mine, or can anyone who has been on this train confirm or deny? About how long does the train stop if we are running on time? If behind? Any other tips for riding the SWC? Thanks!

It's a catering stand, and I bet you heard about it from one of Steve or Ray's travelogues at TrainWeb. I seem to remember from reading them that they enjoyed those burritos a great deal :)

There are similar stands that set up shop for the train's arrival which sell Native American things. At least that's what I recall from looking out the window at the stop. The last time I went through ABQ on that train, I was in the diner eating lunch for the full duration of the stop, so I can't say I was looking too hard for any burritos :lol:

The Albuquerque stop time should be noted in the timetable, at least if you're running on schedule.

When I rode the Chief last year, the burrito stand was just off the train platform, when walking into the station. I bypassed that and went to the ice cream parlor across the street! :lol:

You'll have time to step off if the train is not delayed, but if it is the stop will be shortened. Get to the Burrito stand as soon as you get off as many say the supply goes quickly. Have fun!

I'm upset about the Hot Dog stand in Orlando. There used to be an amazing Hot Dog stand at the station in Orlando, $3 for passengers $2 for crew, and every trip I'd get off and get myself a hot dog, since it beat the hell out of the on board food (and price) with a stick. Then Amtrak put out a notice that employees couldn't have them because some of the attendants nearly missed their train was leaving without them. Then for no reason it disappeared. I WANT MY HOT DOG STAND!!! :angry:

abq is most noted for burritos. i've had them and they're not worth going hungry waiting to get there. i'd rate them low average at best. brad

I drove by ABQ station several months ago because I knew when the Amtrak trains' schedule for fuel stop.

Yes, there is a catering truck, I think, serving burritos.

A lot of riders are crowding around the Indian jewelry and perhaps burritos. Plus, the platform is very long, so you can walk along the train at leisure pace, looking at the mailcars loading/unloading, fueling, and admiring at the locomotives. B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back