Bush Administrations Amtrak Plan

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This stuff disgusts me. You could put a mountain of research in front of these people showing that the long distance routes aren't the problem, and they'd still knee jerk this way.

One of these days, if Bush gets his way, shorter city routes will rule, all traveling at mach .25. I don't know about you, but the last thing I want to do on a train is 150+ miles per hour. All it takes is one crackpot scooching the rail a bit to not just injure 10 or twenty, which is fairly normal in more serious accidents, but to wipe out the entire trainload of several hundred.

Having said all of that, good old American greed will step up to the plate to restore long distance service. And if you think it's pricey now to see America from a sleeper, hold on to your Pullman. This stuff will go the way of Orient Express stuff if given the chance, as there's not going to be any competition on same rail routes, that I can see. Chicago to LA in a deluxe bedroom? Sure we can do that. That will be $6800 for you and your child. Enjoy your trip! And one thing, meals are extra.

I'm afraid we're witnessing the end of an era whose importance to American history can't be understood by Congress. And whose importance to those of us that think 35,000 feet and 3 hours at an airport is no way to travel. This coming from a former pilot. Or for those of us that would rather drink hemlock tea than drive a car from Minot ND. to Washington state. As if I could pull that off without falling to sleep several dozen times.

These are dark days for rail enthusiasts.

Frank

Frank, I think that the best thing we can do as railfans is lobby Congress for more funding for Amtrak and hope that some of the stubborn Republicans listen.

You are right i keep calling but i am in the UTU and they want us to get involved that is what i say to do just keep buging them that is the only way to do it and they will sometimes get the point it worked in Michigan and it can work here to

Is this truly a serious threat to Amtrak or will it have the same impact as the ARC had?

By the way, new to the list. Name is Mark. First Amtrak trip was in summer 72 on the National Limited from KC to DC. Have since traveded on National Limited St. Louis to DC (summer 78 I think??), Texas Eagle Dallas to St. Louis (first sleeper trip) and Silver Meteor this this month Savannah to NYC, plus several trips on NEC from NYC to DC on different occasions. Not many miles but ejoyed every one of them.

Welcome to this forum, Mark (National Limited)..Yours(National Limited) is one of the grand old names of railroading, not only Amtrak, but pre-Amtrak as well. We represent a broad spectrum of experience, ages, viewpoints, etc but we tend to get along quite well and express ourselves freely.

Bill Haithcoat said:
Welcome to this  forum, Mark (National Limited)..Yours(National Limited) is one of the grand old names of railroading, not only Amtrak, but pre-Amtrak as well. We represent a broad spectrum of experience, ages, viewpoints, etc but we tend to get along quite well and express ourselves freely.
Speaking of National Limited, Bill, did you ever have a chance to ride on this train in your early days? I know you had traveled the CZ pre-Amtrak (still jelous about that) but I wasnt sure about the NL.

O, and welcome to the forum, NL! :D

Nope,Amtrak P42....no need to be jealous about the NL. I did not travel that either Amtrak or pre. I think the closest I ever got to it was to see the stainless steel slumbercoach which ran from Baltimore to San Antonio. transferring from NL to TE at St. Louis. I saw that several times on the TE lap of the run. .

Yes this is a very serious threat. Most republicans just dont get it about Amtrak, there are a few exceptions (Kay Huthinson, TX being one). I'm a republican but the party just doesnt get it. Write those letters make those calls. I'm to the point now where I'm actually having friends at work call also. I explain whats going on...I give them the senators and our representatives phone numbers and ask them to call. Everyone one I've asked has been more then willing. I also give them the www.saveamtrak.org web address. Keep up the work!

The figures from within the railroad sector suggest subsidies for highway and air travel far exceed those for passenger rail. The real facts are actually even more striking. Anyone investigating data from the BTS, or the environmentalists, will soon discover that, for example, direct and indirect subsidies for highways and highway travel are $1.68 Trillion a year. Take the time to go through all the charts and figures published outside the railroad sector, and you will see that the per-passenger-mile subsidy for rail passengers is, on average , one-twentieth (5 percent) of the average, per-passenger-mile highway and air subsidies.

We can only conclude there is a national prejudice against passenger rail, and that the administration will not rest until Amtrak is killed and passenger rail is removed from the face of America. The fight to kill passenger rail is fueled by the massive interests of car makers, oil, insurance, and construction. When we recall that one out of every five Americans is employed in some type of auto-related industry it is simple to understand the enormous forces arrayed against passenger rail.

Watcher,

Very nice post. Show me a Europian/Canadian/Indian/whatever rail system that isn't govt. funded and I'll kiss your pullman.

The good news of the day is all about the push from some R. senators to not only keep Amtrak afloat, but to give her a transfusion. Texas senator Kay Bailey Hutchison should be written by every railfan to applaud her efforts.

Many govenor's are hip to this as well. Montana's Martz has vowed to go to bat. New Mex's Richardson as well. These people should be contacted to show support for their views.

I believe that if we lose a national rail system, we've lost something that can never be brought back. Pandora stuff.

Frank

frank said:
I believe that if we lose a national rail system, we've lost something that can never be brought back. Pandora stuff.
I agree with you. If Amtrak dies and later found out that passenger trains is very valuable, starting up requires more than billions of dollars to start- new locomotives & cars, rebuild stations, negotating and paying private RRs for use of tracks, etc. :blink:

gswager said:
frank said:
I believe that if we lose a national rail system, we've lost something that can never be brought back.  Pandora stuff.
I agree with you. If Amtrak dies and later found out that passenger trains is very valuable, starting up requires more than billions of dollars to start- new locomotives & cars, rebuild stations, negotating and paying private RRs for use of tracks, etc. :blink:
Let's all hope that never happens. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back