Bush Budget to Scrap Subsidy for Amtrak-Sources

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a little surprised NOT to hear, in the state of the union message, that Social Security was harboring weapons of mass destruction. Probably the same ones Saddam was supposed to have, and that's why Social Security has to bite the dust.
Hyperbole doesn't really further the discussion, now does it?

If you want to go ahead and let the rest of the world turn into a USA-hating, terrorist-run cesspool, then funding for passenger rail is going to be the least of our problems.

I agree that what you said about passenger rail and national security, and I'll even agree that whoever said that other forms of transportation aren't subsidised is an a$$ (or woefully ignorant -- or both!).

Just like anything with the Federal government, though, it isn't really an either/or thing. If they really want to do something, they'll find a way to fund it (or sell more T-Bonds). The issue is priorities, and arguments need to be made in favor of a balanced transportation policy that supports and invests in a solid passenger rail system.

All I read here is the same-old same-old. Sour grapes and horses beaten down to a powdery pulp... ;)

cheapfurcoat said:
All I read here is the same-old same-old. Sour grapes and horses beaten down to a powdery pulp... ;)
Point well taken, but please keep one thing in mind: Nothing would bring us greater joy than to quit revisiting the same old issue year after year. This forum would get a whole new breath of life if somebody in Washington developed a genuine long-term solution to Amtrak's funding problem so that our focus could shift toward issues that are more fun to talk about.

And for the "same-old same-old's" information and edification, the Miami Herald, I saw today, just published a political cartoon by Pulitzer prizewinning cartoonist Jim Morin, which has W giving the State of the Union Address, and which has, as text: "Our intelligence sources estimate the Social Security program possesses materials sufficient to build weapons of mass destruction, and sought large quantities of aluminum tubes from Africa....." That paper isn't going to print what the majority of it's readers disagree with, so my opinion would seem to be shared pretty widely.

I personally am very Anti-Bush, being raised in a fairly Liberal household and school environment. Don't forget though that South Florida is traditionally Democrat territory.

Don't forget that Mr. Bush want's to spend billions sending 2 or 3 people to Mars. I wonder what the passenger mile $ ratio would be on that one?

It's that time once again. Write the people that we've all elected and tell them in no uncertain words that it's absolutely vital to this nation to maintain a national rail system. Here's a link for your representative's e-mails:

http://www.webslingerz.com/jhoffman/congre...ress-email.html

And be sure to add that if Mr. Bush keeps up these shenanigans, there's a large group of people over at the amtrak forum that would like to see him on the first flight to Mars, even if it's a one way ticket.

Frank

frank said:
And be sure to add that if Mr. Bush keeps up these shenanigans, there's a large group of people over at the amtrak forum that would like to see him on the first flight to Mars, even if it's a one way ticket.
Frank
Hilarious. Hyuck, hyuck!

Hey I'm with Frank. Pull an Armegeddon where one person has to stay behind. Since Bush has the highest Military rank he wins!

So sad to hear that the "Disaster Monkey" in Washington, wants to cut Amtrak funding complely. He hasn't a clue , on the importance of a passenger railsystem in this country. Than again he apparently doesn't have a clue on much of anything. We all need to speak to our congressional representatives, and let them know how we perceive this issue. Bush is a "One Man Wrecking Crew". Maybe if enough of us speak out in regards to Amtrak funding, we can "Derail" at least one of his misguided intents. B)

Guest said:
So sad to hear that the "Disaster Monkey" in Washington, wants to cut Amtrak funding complely. He hasn't a clue , on the importance of a passenger railsystem in this country. Than again he apparently doesn't have a clue on much of anything. We all need to speak to our congressional representatives, and let them know how we perceive this issue. Bush is a "One Man Wrecking Crew". Maybe if enough of us speak out in regards to Amtrak funding, we can "Derail" at least one of his misguided intents. B)
This is a great idea!

The President may propose cutting the Amtrak subsidy however he is also lookin gto cut the farm subsidy and there is a snowball's chance in Miami of that happening because this is what keeps representatives and senators in office (and many of them want to keep their jobs). Also when the President's budget comes to The Hill it is only a recommendation as ultimately Congress makes the final decision. An interesting stat from ABC World News Tonight this evening last year Bush recommended 65 programs be cut and out of all of those only one was.

After watching the news tonight, I'm concerned about losing my job. :unsure:

We all know that morality and politics change in "cycles" and it's a conservative period now. Even the SuperBowl commercials sucked! :( Everyone is afraid to offend someone. :ph34r:

As we can see, there are few people willing to confront this administration and the majority have become "followers".

Amtrak has refused to negotiate with the IBEW in good faith for over a year. Their last proposal was a 9 1/2% pay raise, no retroactive pay for the last two yrs, an increase in employee's contribution to medical insurance and changing the individual crafts to a "composite tech".

The only raises we have received are COLA allowances mandated by law.

But the NE corridor will be protected by Bush and the corridor will become the property of the US. It will be contracted out for 10 yrs at a time. Sneaky *******! :angry:

Hopefully Amtrak will squeak by for another year! :rolleyes:

MJ B)

Quite frankly, any effort spent on trying to convince the white house is effort wasted. Senators and representatives are where we should focus our efforts (and don't forget those letters to the editor). The administration has shown time and time again that once it makes up its mind, there's no need to bother them with facts or pleas.

Millions of protestors couldn't stop the war in Iraq. Do you really think a few dozen (or even a few hundred) Amtrak supporters will change his mind? Do you even think that any calls made to the white house hotline (or whatever) will even make it to shrub's ear?

Hey, I've been thinking this over. This could be the way to solve this yearly Bush vs. Amtrak budget fiasco.

We, as a nation, convince Mr. Bush that he should first visit Mars, since he and only he seems so intent on this venture, considering that the price tag is a 1 followed by more digits than I have space here to type.

Now this is the really cool part. It's only when he's strapped into the rocket, during the final countdown, that we, as a nation, inform him that instead of the 1.8 billion dollars that was earmarked for his solo flight, Congress has only approved 365 million bucks, and that's only for the initial part of his journey. This is way too cool. A collective insider's joke. I'm laughing my a off.

Just about the time that the rocket's red glare is starting to glow, he'll say, "But that will only get me part of the way....." we then explain to him about budgetary cutbacks...blah blah blah.

And we will all as a nation, in unison yell....."See! Right Back Atch'ya!"

Oh the humanity! Oh the comeupance! Oh the....whatever.

For those of you trying to figure out earlier about $$$$ in Iraq/Afganistan vs. Amtrak....Amtrak repeatedly asks for close to 2 billion dollars or so in funding. This money is not requested to buy all new, glossy pewter trainware, as was the case back in the early days of rail travel, it's meant to shore up bridges and track and crossings and insurance premiums, and to pay for rail usage charges.

And at the same time, it costs $35, 000,000.00 for us to operate 7 hours in Iraq. Don't get me wrong folks, especially those of you who have loved ones over there. We're there, and need to finish what we started, I know.

But....of the 250 billion that is close to being spent there, we could have a nation complete with education.....care for the elderly.....drug treatment programs....as well as all new Superliner III's for all of our favorite routes. Many more routes! Expanded routes! Multiple daily stops!

The fact that our president spent at least 40 million dollars on his hour long inauguration, and yet states that 360 million dollars should be allocated to Amtrak for an entire year is a disgrace. It would be laughable if so much were not at stake.

Write your state representatives at once. Tell them how ludicrous this situation is. Tell them how much you would like to see Bush and Mineta both strapped into a Delta rocket aimed at Mars, with only enough fuel for a one way journey.

Or, take a bus or drive or fly everywhere you want to go from now on.

Frank

Please, everyone, let's try to keep discussion in this thread civil :)

I am not pointing fingers at any one poster but rather the way the thread seems to have taken a turn today.

rmadisonwi said:
Quite frankly, any effort spent on trying to convince the white house is effort wasted. Senators and representatives are where we should focus our efforts (and don't forget those letters to the editor).
Right on, right on! Remember folks - the President's budget must go through Congress, and Amtrak has friends on both sides of the aisle! Of course, the swing votes are what really make the difference. If you have a Senator or a House Member in your state/district who is lukewarm on the issue of Amtrak, focus 90% of your energy in that direction. You don't have to use pretty words - just use the facts about Amtrak and they will speak volumes. I like to think that a crisis creates a catalyst. This disaster of a budget from this man that I voted for (sigh) may be just the key to line up more people in DC to support Amtrak!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back