Bush/Mineta proposal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rile42

Lead Service Attendant
I read yesterday that there is a proposal (think they offered this before) to fund Amtrak if it is split apart. The short story is the Feds would own the trains and run them and states would help pay for upkeep of the rails and such. If a state balked at doing that then all stations in the state along Amtrak routes would close.

I know that my state, Ohio, would have very little incentive for that idea. This state is in such bad shape fiscally now that thousands of low income people are being dropped from Medicaid rolls.

There is something that doesn't sound right in this. Does that mean that the state would help fund track maintenance on the right-of-way that the Capitol Limited and The Lake Shore Limited use? Isn't that trackage owned by CSX and Norfolk and Southern? It would seem to me then that the state is going to be subsidizing private freight companies. I must certainly be misunderstanding the situation. Or has Bush's advisor, whoever he is, that came from UP getting into the mix?

Back