Business Class aboard Surfliner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AMTRAK-P42

Conductor
Well now that my trip is fast approaching, I had a few questions. I havent been on the Surfliner route since the San Diegans in single level amfleet equipment patrolled the route, so I was wondering about business class aboard the Surfliner. Is it such as in the northeast where this car is considered a "quite car", or is it rather just a car where a little extra money buys you a guaranteed seat and a complementary beverage?

Thanks!

P.S. Im asking about the quiet car option because I like to listen to my scanner freely instead of with ear-phones.

AMTRAK-P42 said:
P.S. Im asking about the quiet car option because I like to listen to my scanner freely instead of with ear-phones.
In my opinion, listening to a scanner or any radio or audio player without using an earpiece is an imposition on your fellow passengers regardless of the car you are in. Amtrak agrees.

To quote the Amtrak System Timetable

“To maintain a pleasant environment for all passengers, Amtrak requires (my emphasis) that earphones be used when listening to radios, CD/tape players, DVD players, TV’s, etc., and that the volume be kept low.”

PRR 60 said:
AMTRAK-P42 said:
In my opinion, listening to a scanner or any radio or audio player without using an earpiece is an imposition on your fellow passengers regardless of the car you are in. Amtrak agrees.

To quote the Amtrak System Timetable

“To maintain a pleasant environment for all passengers, Amtrak requires (my emphasis) that earphones be used when listening to radios, CD/tape players, DVD players, TV’s, etc., and that the volume be kept low.”
Oh I completely agree. BUT, In my 24,000 miles spent on the rails, I have only once ever been asked to turn it down/off, and I usually sit in my sleeper compartment, or at the table in the lounge when listening, never in the coaches. I usually try to keep my eyes open for people who find it irritating so I can turn it to a very low volume, or off.

AMTRAK-P42 said:
Is it such as in the northeast where this car is considered a "quite car"
BC cars on the NEC are not considered quiet cars. In fact, they are lounder than standard coaches with all the business people on their cells. The only BC cars on the NEC that would be designated a quiet car is on the Acela or Metroliner.

engine999 said:
Besides that business class has tv's in the back of the seats. AFAIK
Not on Amtrak they don't. and definitely not on the Surfliners.

tp49 said:
engine999 said:
Besides that business class has tv's in the back of the seats.  AFAIK
They aren't TVs, they're video monitors controlled by a DVD player over near the attendant. And I will say that, traveling in Surfliner business class on an average of twice a month, that these video monitors are seldom operational. When they are operational, there is one channel of video (#4) and the accompanying audio sometimes works and sometimes does not. Over the past several months, all I have ever observed playing are episodes of the sitcom "Friends". So, I would not count on this amenity. Sometimes there are Amtrak headphones available at the coffee/attendant station, but most of the time there are not.

This is also not a "quiet car". You will find that people often do talk rather loudly, especially in the groups of 4 chairs facing each other where friends or family sit together. However, I really do think that listening to a squawking railroad scanner would be frowned upon. The car is not a coach car and even though it is not designated a "quiet car", it is not a place where just anything goes. While you may or may not seldom see the attendant, conductors (often 3 or 4 on the train, as they are the only onboard employees besides the lounge LSA and the sometimes-available business class attendant) are constantly roaming the train and I bet that one of them could yell at you if your scanner is up too loud. :lol:

The business class amenities in the way of food and drinks are always dwindling as well. The morning trains often do not have the Delyse snack boxes (with chips/salsa, cookie, fruit mix, etc.), but instead have these packaged Edna's pastries and the ubiquitous Mott's apple juice boxes (yes, boxes like you took to school in kindergarten). If the snack boxes are available, and no business class attendant is to be seen, you can take your ticket stub to the LSA and he will allow you one free beverage (or small bottle of wine, if you're over 21) as well as one of these snack boxes. Note that the LSA will make a notation or a tear on your boarding pass so that the one free beverage does not turn into multiple beverages. Do remember to partake in this amenity as it is available anytime you wish to redeem it, and you do not need to wait for a business class attendant to show up or board the train if one is not already there. Simply bring your stub to the lounge and he or she will tell you what is included in your business class fare. (note that only one snack box is allowed as well, but you will find after having one that another isn't exactly on your mind :lol: )

The other notable amenity of business class is increased leg room. I took a short trip in Surfliner coach a couple of weeks ago and found the leg room in the regular seats (not the 4 facing each other or with a table) to be much less than that of business, in fact, it reminded me of coach on an airplane (to be fair, more like United economy plus or American MRTC).

YMMV. Feel free to ask me anything about the Surfliner (apart from the scenery, which I don't usually pay attention to) as I take this route often, chiefly north of LA.

tp49 said:
engine999 said:
Although I have never ridden on a Pacific Business Class Car, each seat back has monitor on it. What is available to watch, I have no idea. But there were tv monitors on the back of every seat of BC on the Pacific Surfliners, at least the last time I checked. You won't see this on the Capitol Corridor or San Joaquin trains, however.

Anthony said:
tp49 said:
engine999 said:
They aren't TVs, they're video monitors controlled by a DVD player over near the attendant. And I will say that, traveling in Surfliner business class on an average of twice a month, that these video monitors are seldom operational. When they are operational, there is one channel of video (#4) and the accompanying audio sometimes works and sometimes does not. Over the past several months, all I have ever observed playing are episodes of the sitcom "Friends". So, I would not count on this amenity. Sometimes there are Amtrak headphones available at the coffee/attendant station, but most of the time there are not.

This is also not a "quiet car". You will find that people often do talk rather loudly, especially in the groups of 4 chairs facing each other where friends or family sit together. However, I really do think that listening to a squawking railroad scanner would be frowned upon. The car is not a coach car and even though it is not designated a "quiet car", it is not a place where just anything goes. While you may or may not seldom see the attendant, conductors (often 3 or 4 on the train, as they are the only onboard employees besides the lounge LSA and the sometimes-available business class attendant) are constantly roaming the train and I bet that one of them could yell at you if your scanner is up too loud. :lol:

The business class amenities in the way of food and drinks are always dwindling as well. The morning trains often do not have the Delyse snack boxes (with chips/salsa, cookie, fruit mix, etc.), but instead have these packaged Edna's pastries and the ubiquitous Mott's apple juice boxes (yes, boxes like you took to school in kindergarten). If the snack boxes are available, and no business class attendant is to be seen, you can take your ticket stub to the LSA and he will allow you one free beverage (or small bottle of wine, if you're over 21) as well as one of these snack boxes. Note that the LSA will make a notation or a tear on your boarding pass so that the one free beverage does not turn into multiple beverages. Do remember to partake in this amenity as it is available anytime you wish to redeem it, and you do not need to wait for a business class attendant to show up or board the train if one is not already there. Simply bring your stub to the lounge and he or she will tell you what is included in your business class fare. (note that only one snack box is allowed as well, but you will find after having one that another isn't exactly on your mind :lol: )

The other notable amenity of business class is increased leg room. I took a short trip in Surfliner coach a couple of weeks ago and found the leg room in the regular seats (not the 4 facing each other or with a table) to be much less than that of business, in fact, it reminded me of coach on an airplane (to be fair, more like United economy plus or American MRTC).

YMMV. Feel free to ask me anything about the Surfliner (apart from the scenery, which I don't usually pay attention to) as I take this route often, chiefly north of LA.
I ment video monitors, but a tv is the specific name. Tv dose not imply the broadcasting or reciving of live video feed.

Allen Dee said:
tp49 said:
engine999 said:
Although I have never ridden on a Pacific Business Class Car, each seat back has monitor on it. What is available to watch, I have no idea. But there were tv monitors on the back of every seat of BC on the Pacific Surfliners, at least the last time I checked. You won't see this on the Capitol Corridor or San Joaquin trains, however.
I didn't realize they actually tried to put this amenity in the Business Class cars. I thought they used a regular coach and just called it business class by providing some level of amenities. I was also under the impression that the Surfliner cars were the same as their 6000 series counterparts up north which are seriously lacking in the amenities department. They did promise us business class a couple of years ago up here but it was something that has yet to be delivered.

Interestingly, the wine/beer is free in business class as well.

The coach cars can get crowded and noisy with kids on some trips. I always pay the extra fee for business class: the big seats and the thinner crowed is worth it - for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back