Business Class conversion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amtrakmichigan

Lead Service Attendant
I rode in one of the converted Amfleet B/C / Cafe cars tonight from Chicago - Dearborn. It was car #48184. It apears to be a renumbered Amfleet I Club/Dinette car that may have been numbered between 48150-48159 at one time, maybe serving the old Metroliner service. With 5 rows of 2 and 1 seating, it was a far cry from the standard Amfleet/Horizon food service cars that I am used to as far as comfort and room. The seats were either leather or an excellent grade of vinyl with a color that might resemble a red wine. The seats feature leg rest and alow the user to recline at about a 45 degree angle. Double seats also feature cup holders between the two seats.

Amtrak has not quite replaced all of these Midwest B/C cars since my trip to Chicago was in a std. Horizon car. However I did see another converted Amfleet car sitting in in Union station on another consist. So there is at least two of these in service. I would not be suprised at all if Amtrak raised the B/C surcharge once all cars converted cars are put in service. My only gripe is that you have to walk to the other side of the car, in the dinette section to use the restroom.

According to OTOL, 48184 was the former 20252.

I got lucky enough to get the 48177 car for my trip on 351 back in August. It was indeed a very nicely done conversion. However, I am almost certain that the restroom was on the club end of the car on my train.

rmadisonwi said:
According to OTOL, 48184 was the former 20252.
I got lucky enough to get the 48177 car for my trip on 351 back in August.  It was indeed a very nicely done conversion.  However, I am almost certain that the restroom was on the club end of the car on my train.
If the numbers you gave are correct, then they swaped the seating and dinette section with each other during the conversion. This is solely bassed on a copy of the 2003 Amtrak Equipment Diagram book that I have. I guess that's why I assumed that maybe it was in the 48150-48159 series since the diagram shows the bathroom to be on the dinette end on this series. The bathroom on car 48184 was on the dinette end, which I thought was a foolish thing to do. Try walking to the restroom through a mob of people trying to get fed in the cafe. :angry:

Back