business on carolinian -- worth it?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sweet tea

Service Attendant
hey gang,

i'm taking the carolinian from greensboro to NYP -- 11 hours and change. is business class worth the $40? i do have a guest rewards membership, if that matters.

basically: will my ride be more comfortable/pleasant, or am i just buying a $40 can of pepsi?

thanks for your wisdom.

Hey,

I'd say "Do It" only because it will give you a comfortable amount of legroom for such a long journey. Coach on the Carolinian is standard corridor fare Amfleet I's, which are fine for the 2-4 hour rides one typically takes on such services, but not quite optimal for all day trips such as you're taking.

I took the Carolinian this past Sunday from Baltimore to Charlotte and paid $21 for the upgrade. We actually had AT SEAT drink service for the journey. You'll probably have three such services on your trip.

One thing I DIDN'T like was being assigned a seat when boarding that was largely obstructed by a window post. That's one place where Coach seems to have the edge.

thanks for the reply. i'm going to give it a try -- first time in business for me. i'll report back after the trip.

No no no no noooooo.... BC on the Carolinian is nothing more than a coach car with the words "Business Class" plastered over the word "Coach". You can only get your Pepsi or Coffee when the attendant wants to walk through with her cart and even that isn't as often as she says it is.

Maybe The Metropolitan had a different trainset than I rode, but I didn't think there was ANY difference between the coach used for BC and the one used for Coach. So, I disagree with it being 'more comfortable'.

Now I'll add this... When I went it was sold out and they were playing sokoban with passengers, rearranging them as groups would board to try and keep folks together. They actually tried to do it quite well, and the resistance came from the passengers.

So, after saying "NO", I say give it a try and then make your own decision for your return. Most of all, if you DO ride BC and the experience isn't worth $40, LET AMTRAK KNOW!!! They need to standardize BC across the system.

The BC Car I rode on had foot rests and window curtains as per the usual Amfleet I BC Configuration, while the staff was particularly attentive and friendly for the whole trip.

Trust me, there are VERY few occasions where I would do a BC Upgrade anywhere (In the east, only the Carolinian, Vermonter, and Downeaster come to mind as being worth it). If the coaches on the Carolinian were A-II's like on the Silver Star, then I would certainly have foregone the upgrade, but given the length of time I was going to be on this train, it seemed like the right idea.

You might see if you can book the NYP-WAS leg in Coach and the WAS-GRO leg in BC. The upgrade price would drop to only about $21, and most of your journey would still be in the BC car.

No no no no noooooo.... BC on the Carolinian is nothing more than a coach car with the words "Business Class" plastered over the word "Coach". You can only get your Pepsi or Coffee when the attendant wants to walk through with her cart and even that isn't as often as she says it is.
Maybe The Metropolitan had a different trainset than I rode, but I didn't think there was ANY difference between the coach used for BC and the one used for Coach. So, I disagree with it being 'more comfortable'.

Now I'll add this... When I went it was sold out and they were playing sokoban with passengers, rearranging them as groups would board to try and keep folks together. They actually tried to do it quite well, and the resistance came from the passengers.

So, after saying "NO", I say give it a try and then make your own decision for your return. Most of all, if you DO ride BC and the experience isn't worth $40, LET AMTRAK KNOW!!! They need to standardize BC across the system.
Carolinian's business class uses recently refurbished Amfleet II cars as opposed to the Amfleet Is used in coach class. Apparently at-seat drink service has been introduced, but I haven't ridden 79/80 in a few months so I can't offer any information on that. For me, the advantages of upgrading to Business class are more room and a quieter car, as in less people coming and going all the time. I would, however, at least consider The Metropolitan's idea of reserving business class only for the Washington to North Carolina portion of your trip. However, I am unclear if this would be cheaper because you would have to buy 2 tickets, one for coach class NYP-WAS, and one for business class WAS-North Carolina. Correct me if I'm wrong(?).

Trust me, there are VERY few occasions where I would do a BC Upgrade anywhere (In the east, only the Carolinian, Vermonter, and Downeaster come to mind as being worth it). If the coaches on the Carolinian were A-II's like on the Silver Star, then I would certainly have foregone the upgrade, but given the length of time I was going to be on this train, it seemed like the right idea.
Add the Pennsylvanian to your list as it also has 2-1 seating and I was able to get full cans of soda, ice cold.....one of the most scenic rides as well and very underrated.

Carolinian's business class uses recently refurbished Amfleet II cars as opposed to the Amfleet Is used in coach class. Apparently at-seat drink service has been introduced, but I haven't ridden 79/80 in a few months so I can't offer any information on that. For me, the advantages of upgrading to Business class are more room and a quieter car, as in less people coming and going all the time. I would, however, at least consider The Metropolitan's idea of reserving business class only for the Washington to North Carolina portion of your trip. However, I am unclear if this would be cheaper because you would have to buy 2 tickets, one for coach class NYP-WAS, and one for business class WAS-North Carolina. Correct me if I'm wrong(?).
You see, I guess that is where we sorta differ in perspective. I feel that the refurbished Amfleet IIs should be in the back with a distinctive difference for BC. I'll be honest with you - I am not familiar with riding in the Am-I's; just Superliners and Am-IIs. I guess if there is that much difference between the two, then definitely go for the BC.

You see, I guess that is where we sorta differ in perspective. I feel that the refurbished Amfleet IIs should be in the back with a distinctive difference for BC. I'll be honest with you - I am not familiar with riding in the Am-I's; just Superliners and Am-IIs. I guess if there is that much difference between the two, then definitely go for the BC.
Oh, there's a difference, believe me. <grin> Moving into an Amfleet I seat from an Amfleet II seat is something you'll notice immediately—the first thing you'll probably notice is the back of the seat in front of you right in your face. Very cramped compared to an Amfleet II with curtains, bigger windows, and leg rests.

Rafi

Add the Pennsylvanian to your list as it also has 2-1 seating and I was able to get full cans of soda, ice cold.....one of the most scenic rides as well and very underrated.

Amen to that!

And the upgrade isn't too bad, I think PGH to NYP is only $25.

The Pennsylvanian also has a habit of getting short changed- they've used Amfleet I's for that 10 hour trip before twice on the four times I've been on her in fact... You can imagine the leg cramps.

From there on in I always go BC with the Pennsylvanian...

Last edited by a moderator:
hey y'all, thanks again.

i did end up going for it, and it was very nice. the seats were comfortable -- i'm not exactly sure which type of car it was, but definitely the most comfortable short-distance car i've been in. well-padded, blue seats, if that helps anyone figure it out.

i had hoped for 2-1 seating and this was 2-2 and full, but i had a great seatmate, so it was fine. i'd scarcely slept the night before the ride, so i must admit i slept through a lot of it. pillow was much appreciated. (i suppose the fact that i had enough space to feel comfortable sleeping next to a stranger is a good sign, though truthfully i was so tired i might have slept anyway.)

the attendant was great. there were at least 4 or 5 beverage services -- i may have slept through others. mini-cans of soda and small water bottles were cold. i did hear a passenger ask for hot coffee. the attendant at first said he would bring it after he'd finished the service but then told the passenger he could ask for (free) coffee in the cafe if he didn't want to wait.

if i were doing the trip again and feeling reasonably flush, i'd definitely do it again. if feeling less flush, i'd probably do it for the trip home, when i'm more worn out. (this time, i drove in one direction.)

thanks again, and i'll post a few pictures of the greensboro station (very nice!) on the trip report board.

I think the best experience I've had was on the Southbound Adirondack (like the Carolinian, the Adirondack is formed of Amfleets), which doesn't have business class, but on the day I traveled on it, happened to have a business class carriage stuck at the front of the formation; one of the two carriages that they like to put all the passengers bound for Penn station into. I queried this with the conductor standing by the train as we were boarded, who told me yes, the markings made no difference, every carriage was coach.

So in I stepped, and having been anticipating 11 hours on the same accommodation as the Downeaster, I was delighted to find more comfortably padded, reclining seats, with far more legroom, and proper footrests. This makes a big difference when you're traveling in coach for that long.

It was, in the same way, 2+2 seating, and, having started off with a quite dull business type sitting next to me, his girlfriend asked if I'd be willing to swap with her so they could sit together - which, of course, I gladly did, rather than see them separated for the length of the journey - I ended up next to a friendly student of about my age, who was at the same year of university as me, and who knew of, and liked the same semi-obscure indie bands as me, proving the principle that Downeaster conductor Jim told me:

"You meet the most interesting people in coach".

I still boast about this journey to the friend I was heading to in New York at the time, who pays hideously overpriced fares to travel business class on the NEC's amfleets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back