Business or Sleeper on the Cardinal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

northnorthwest

Service Attendant
We're planning a trip next month on the Cardinal from BAL to CIN. This is our first time on this route. I'm using AGR (as usual) for the trip and assumed I would get a roomette, because the difference between that and business isn't significant. But then I started reading about business and had second thoughts. If we're in the roomette I don't want to be on the wrong side for any scenery. And my understanding is that the food on the Cardinal is even worse than on the typical long distance train. Maybe it's better to just do business and pack our own food? And while you can lie down if we make the bed in the room, the regular coach seats (or business in this case) are actually more comfortable for leaning back and sitting during a long trip. What do others think?

Separate question: boarding in BAL at 9:30 will we receive breakfast?

I just got back from a Chicago-Trenton trip in the Cardinal business class. The seats are indeed comfortable, and if you go that route I would definitely bring your own food. There are plenty of free beverages in the car.

Personally I would go sleeper but that's because I prefer a sleeper. And if the price difference isn't much I would recommend that option. But that's just me

Don't worry about being on the wrong side in the roomette - it's not an issue. You can stroll over to the BC car and they have four tables in there, two on each side - and each table seats 4 people, with easy viewing on both sides of the train. We had a bedroom, yet we spent much of our daylight time sitting at one of those BC tables. I think we were the only people that ever used the tables on our trip (no coach passengers are allowed in the BC/lounge car). It seems that the BC riders prefer staying in their huge leather sleeper seats, and the roomette riders prefer staying put in their rooms. So the tables were unused.

Our plan included meals but I skipped the lunch and we brought Chipotle "to go" in a bag. Much better than the cardinal lunch options. We ate in the BC lounge area and enjoyed the Virginia countryside views from our table.

The dinner on the train was good. Breakfast was rather weak, but we managed.

Keep in mind that the Viewliner roomette has a huge window - very large and perfectly placed between the two seats. Also there is a nice skylight window (2nd window) which allows you to view rock out cropping, mountains, and occasionally a hawk flying overhead. If it's not a big difference, grab the roomette and just sit in the BC lounge are as you go through the New River Gorge. Overall, the left side going west is better - but you also have to deal with th hot sunshine, so the right side has that advantage. And the train route uses both side of the New River Gorge. About 2/3rd of the Gorge is on the left (heading west) and the last 1/3rd is on the right. You switch sides at Hawks Nest. BTW - sharp curve there as the train will make a tight left turn to cross the river.

My favorite section is from Charlottesville, VA to White Sulfur Springs, WV as the train crosses the Blue Ridge & Allegheny Mountains - it's very scenic, and the mountains are large.

The best place to ride is actually in the regular lounge. I had several fascinating conversations in there from everything from Brexit, craft beer to macroeconomics.

I disagree about the Cafe/Lounge/Diner (Diner Lite) being the best place to ride on the Cardinal, I've found them to be cramped and noisey. As was said, a Viewliner Roomette is great for any LD trip., especially when you're by yourself. YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back