Buying Amtrak Tickets.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I believe the policy is that only when the train has unreserved seating and the ticket window at that station is not open or quick track ticket machines are not avalible, can a passenger buy a ticket on the train. Most stations are usually open however for departure time so any last minute passengers can buy tickets for a reserved train (if there is avalibility).

No the policy goes like this.

Under no circumstances can a passenger buy a ticket on the train if they are riding on the Northeast Corridor. All tickets must be brought before boarding. In almost all cases the ticket offices are open on the NEC before the train boards.

On trains outside the NEC, you can indeed buy your tickets on board the train. If the office was open, then you will pay a penalty. One of course also has to hope that the train has room for you, if you don't already have a reservation.

Amtrak Railfan said:
How can the Passagers can buy tickets by mail?
I don't think that you can do that. You must either call or go on-line to buy your tickets. Amtrak will then mail your tickets to you if you like.

Additionally of course one can just go to a station to either pickup your tickets or buy them in person at the station.

Here are the correct replies:

tickets may not be purchased on board trains within the Boston-Washington corridor except when boarding at one of the few unstaffed stations like Mystic, CT; Newark, DE; etc. Conductors will put passengers off the train at the next stop if they do not obtain a ticket prior to boarding at a staffed station. This is supposed to be part of the Amtrak "security policy" for the NEC.

tickets can be ordered for mailout through the Internet or through an Amtrak reservations agent. Tickets-by-mail must be requested at least 9 days prior to departure to avoid paying a FedEx charge for express delivery. FedEx delivery is an option (for $9.00 additional) up to 4 days prior to travel. A credit card is required to pay for the tickets in order to request the mailout service.

I recall seeing them in 97 in Chicago Union Station, I think that was the first or second year they were out.

I sincerely doubt that Amtrak would not allow children on unreserved trains, while allowing them on reserved trains (or vice versa).

The answer to your question is "yes". ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back