Buying student ticket w/ Transportation Certificate

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can certainly buy student tickets from other than the website.

Also, it's sometimes possible to make a reservation over the phone and then pay for it with a TC at the station.

You can certainly buy student tickets from other than the website.

Also, it's sometimes possible to make a reservation over the phone and then pay for it with a TC at the station.
I Tweeted this at Amtrak and they said it's not possible. But the same tweet also said TC's were only redeemable by phone, which is obviously wrong, so I won't take the rest of it for more than a grain of salt.

As for the first part of your statement - the website says online only?

My suggestion...call Amtrak customer service (1-800-USARAIL) and speak to a live agent, explain the fact you have the student discount card and a Transportation Certificate. My guess is that the agent can make the reservation over the phone and honor your discount, giving you a Res # and seven days to take your TC down to a staffed station to pay for your ticket. I have done this with a different discount other than a student and this was the way it was handled. Yes, you do have to present the certificate in person to an agent who will apply it to your reservation. If the TC does not cover the ticket cost you will have to pay the difference. if there is a balance remaining on the TC, the agent will issue a new TC for that amount.

I Tweeted this at Amtrak and they said it's not possible. But the same tweet also said TC's were only redeemable by phone, which is obviously wrong, so I won't take the rest of it for more than a grain of salt.
I wouldn't know a tweet from a twat, but like Rusty, I have on more than one occasion made reservations over the phone and paid later at a station with a TC. This is one of those areas that seem to change from time to time and confuses agents and apparently twatters.

As for the first part of your statement - the website says online only?
You are right. My only excuse for the mistake is that my student days were way before Amtrak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back