Bypassed college towns

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Heartland Flyer is paid for by Oklahoma. Therefore it takes the most direct route to Oklahoma; heck, I'm surprised it stops in Gainesville TX, but that stop probably gets people driving from Oklahoma. Also, the current route is all-BNSF; the route via Denton would require going on UP (and also KCS which currently hosts NO passenger trains and probably doesn't want to).
Actually Oklahoma pays for half of the Heartland Flyer, Texas pays for the other half. So Texas could easily argue for a stop in Denton if they wished.

The Heartland Flyer is paid for by Oklahoma. Therefore it takes the most direct route to Oklahoma; heck, I'm surprised it stops in Gainesville TX, but that stop probably gets people driving from Oklahoma. Also, the current route is all-BNSF; the route via Denton would require going on UP (and also KCS which currently hosts NO passenger trains and probably doesn't want to).
Actually Oklahoma pays for half of the Heartland Flyer, Texas pays for the other half. So Texas could easily argue for a stop in Denton if they wished.
Oh! I was operating on old information. When it was started, it was federal money; then it was only-Oklahoma money for a while; NOW it's both Oklahoma and Texas. So yes, Texas could now ask for additional stops in Texas and would likely get them.

At least Denton now has the A Train that along with DART and the TRE can get you to Fort Worth to catch the Texas Eagle or Heartland Flyer.
Except that it's a terribly long and inefficient way to travel. You'd have to take the 3.00pm A-Train out of Denton get off at Trinity Mills at 3.32pm, transfer to DART Green line train departing at 3.41pm reaching Victory station at 4.16pm, transfer to TRE departing at 4.25pm, reaching FTW Amtrak station at 5.14pm and then finally board the Heartland Flyer departing at 5.25pm, reaching OKC at 9.39pm. Congratulations! You just did a 6 hour 39 minute journey for a distance that can be driven by car in 2 hr 30 min.. in other words, you can drive from Denton to Oklahoma City in the amount of time it takes to take the trains from Denton to Fort Worth to board the Heartland Flyer!

The Amtrak Shenandoan from Cincinnati to Washington DC via the former B&O line stopped in Chillicothe, OH home of Ohio University and had large ridership there. Unfortunately, not good ridership along the rest of the line at least til Cumberland, MD. I think part of the line has now been abandoned.
The Shenandoan stops along the old B&O line included Athens, which is the main Ohio U. campus. (Go Bobcats!) CSX pulled the tracks from Athens up to Belpre, OH, from where it would cross the Ohio River to Parkersburg, WV, in 1991. The OU administration didn't mind at all, since it meant coal trains would no longer be slow running through the campus.

As a former resident of the state reading this topic, and considering how Ohio's 3C corridor almost became a reality but was politically assassinated, any new Amtrak stop and/or route is a miracle to behold in my eyes. The 3C would have supported the major cities within the state, including the collegiate areas within. Although essential, it takes more than tracks to run a train.

The New Jersey Transit famous Dinky terminates on the Princeton University campus!!

Several of us rode the Dinky as part of the Philadelphia Gathering last year.

At least Denton now has the A Train that along with DART and the TRE can get you to Fort Worth to catch the Texas Eagle or Heartland Flyer.
Except that it's a terribly long and inefficient way to travel. You'd have to take the 3.00pm A-Train out of Denton get off at Trinity Mills at 3.32pm, transfer to DART Green line train departing at 3.41pm reaching Victory station at 4.16pm, transfer to TRE departing at 4.25pm, reaching FTW Amtrak station at 5.14pm and then finally board the Heartland Flyer departing at 5.25pm, reaching OKC at 9.39pm. Congratulations! You just did a 6 hour 39 minute journey for a distance that can be driven by car in 2 hr 30 min.. in other words, you can drive from Denton to Oklahoma City in the amount of time it takes to take the trains from Denton to Fort Worth to board the Heartland Flyer!
Yes, but you don't need a car. :D Almost by definition, long distance rail service is an inefficient way to travel. Honestly, though, I think that folks in Denton would rather connect to the TE in Dallas for points to San Antonio, Los Angeles, Chicago and beyond. Now, if the Heartland Flyer connected to the SWC somewhere near Wichita, then it would make a lot more sense to include Denton as a stop. But as it stands, you're not that far of a drive from OKC, and you can connect (eventually) to the Amtrak Network to get anywhere they serve.

So, I'm not necessarily concerned about Amtrak bypassing college towns in Pennsylvania that are already served by SEPTA or other transit agencies. I'm more concerned about towns almost ignored completely by any intercity rail system - like Waco, College Station, Blacksburg, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
One college town sorely in need of rail passenger rail service would have to be State College , PA. Years back they had rail service and the train station is still there but the train hasn't pulled into that town in years. The nearest Amtrak station is Lewistown, PA which is a 40 minute drive. The Penn State University student body is over 41,000 which is nearly 1/2 the population of State College.

Other big cities that could use rail service are Lousiville, KY and Nashville, TN. These cities were on the old Floridian/South Wind line out of Chicago but sadly Amtrak discontinued service in the 1980's.

The Floridian was discontinued in late 1979, but that's nitpicking on my part.

Although Illinois does a great job with servicing most of the main universities and colleges - University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana, Southern Illinois and Eastern Illinois on the Illini/Saluki route, Western Illinois on the Illinois Zephyr/Carl Sandburg line, Illinois State University, Illinois Weslyan, Sangamon State on Lincoln service and the various colleges and universities in the Chicago area, there is one big exception: Northern Illinois in DeKalb. DeKalb is a short distance from Elburn, the end point of Metra's UP West Line, but gets no train service because DeKalb is located just outside the RTA/Metra service area and IDOT doesn't sponsor a train on the ex-C&NW line across western Illinois. It's a big exception, since most of the students come from the Chicago area. You'd think someone could come up with a plan to service NIU with the extension of a few UP West line trains every day, but no one has.

there is one big exception: Northern Illinois in DeKalb. DeKalb is a short distance from Elburn, the end point of Metra's UP West Line, but gets no train service because DeKalb is located just outside the RTA/Metra service area and IDOT doesn't sponsor a train on the ex-C&NW line across western Illinois. It's a big exception, since most of the students come from the Chicago area. You'd think someone could come up with a plan to service NIU with the extension of a few UP West line trains every day, but no one has.
As a former resident of DeKalb, I hear you loud and clear. My memory (it's been a few years) is that a chief reason why no local officials seriously pursued this is the fear that a train would result in more suburban sprawl. To a certain extent all you had to do what look at Elburn/Geneva etc and see their point, but as you point out there would already be a strong demand for rail service from the student population.

The university does operate a shuttle bus to meet the train in Elburn, but the schedule is extremely limited and difficult to use if you're not a student (i.e. you have to buy a ticket in advance from a "box office" on the college campus).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back