C-Pap users in sleeping cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve P.

Train Attendant
My wife and I are taking the California Zephyr from Chicago to Emeryville and we will have a superliner roomette. I am a c-pap user and want to know if anyone has traveled in a sleeping car and used a c-pap? I know there is at least one electrical outlet available. Can it be used from either bunk? would bringing an extension cord be a good idea? Any insight to this would be much appreciated. Thanks. (In case you are curious, a C-pap is a machine that consists of a mask and a motor which blows into you to keep your breating passages open-- it needs an electrical outlet)

I would say an short extension cord wouldn't be a bad idea. I think it would be hard to use if in the upper bunk just due to room, lower bunk you can set it on the floor with the standard 6 ft hose.

I been on one for a bit over a month..sure make a differance.

We travel by coach on the CZ not long ago, I just took the window seat and set mine on the floor. Worked fine there.

I would say an short extension cord wouldn't be a bad idea. I think it would be hard to use if in the upper bunk just due to room, lower bunk you can set it on the floor with the standard 6 ft hose.

I been on one for a bit over a month..sure make a differance.

We travel by coach on the CZ not long ago, I just took the window seat and set mine on the floor. Worked fine there.
Thanks Ben that helps alot.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I are taking the California Zephyr from Chicago to Emeryville and we will have a superliner roomette. I am a c-pap user and want to know if anyone has traveled in a sleeping car and used a c-pap? I know there is at least one electrical outlet available. Can it be used from either bunk? would bringing an extension cord be a good idea? Any insight to this would be much appreciated. Thanks. (In case you are curious, a C-pap is a machine that consists of a mask and a motor which blows into you to keep your breating passages open-- it needs an electrical outlet)
I have had a CPAP since 1992 and have traveled extensively with it in roomettes for 20 years.

Recommendations:

1. Bring an extension cord/power strip. Be sure it has a standard plug, not one of "flush" plugs, as on Superliner I's the outlet is recessed and the flush plugs won't work.

2. Bring duct tape. If you are like me and picky about direction I sleep (feet first), you have 50% chance the broad "step" won't be available to put the CPAP on as it will be on the other end of the roomette. In that case, I secure the CPAP to the small armrest/shelf and strap it on to that with duct tape. In any case, it is useful to secure the power cord out of the way, as if you are lucky enough to have the shelf/step available, it is on the opposite corner of the room from the outlet. You don't want to get wrapped up in both the hose and the cord :unsure: I don't like to set the CPAP on the floor, because I am kind of paranoid about sucking stuff from the floor into the filter.

kevxaq.jpg

3. Go dry or don't fill the humidifier reservoir more than 1/2 full. I started using CPAP before humidifiers were widely available and only started using a humidifier a couple of years ago, so I generally go dry on the train as it is not that big of a deal for me. Note the picture is of my CPAP with the humidifier removed.

I've traveled with my CPAP in both the Superliner bedroom and in the Superliner roomette. I neglected to bring an extension cord but it was able to work for me. Between the cord length and the hose length I managed. However, I did have to put it on the floor. And I really didn't have much issue with the humidifier although I just used bottled water rather than distilled. It was just easier.

The bigger difficulty was on one trip while in Oakland or Sacramento on the Coast Starlight. The train stopped and had to swap out an engine. Needless to say .. that cuts the power to the train for a bit and thus the CPAP stopped. Woke up like I was choking. Took me a little while to figure out: A) where I was, and B) what was going on. But I fell back asleep pretty quickly after the engine change.

Blue skies ..

I've traveled with my CPAP in both the Superliner bedroom and in the Superliner roomette. I neglected to bring an extension cord but it was able to work for me. Between the cord length and the hose length I managed. However, I did have to put it on the floor. And I really didn't have much issue with the humidifier although I just used bottled water rather than distilled. It was just easier.

The bigger difficulty was on one trip while in Oakland or Sacramento on the Coast Starlight. The train stopped and had to swap out an engine. Needless to say .. that cuts the power to the train for a bit and thus the CPAP stopped. Woke up like I was choking. Took me a little while to figure out: A) where I was, and B) what was going on. But I fell back asleep pretty quickly after the engine change.

Blue skies ..
Speaking of which, a couple of times on the CZ, the HEP went during SLC stop for some reason, which is after 11 pm WB and something like 3 am EB. So be prepared. And on the Builder, the HEP is always goes off when they switch the Portland section in and out at Spokane. Eastbound, I just wait to go to bed until that's done. Westbound, I just know I am going to get woken up at Spokane when the juice goes off.

I've also had power fail just in my car, and had to hunt down the conductor (usually in the diner in the wee hours of the morning) and he came back and reset something and got it back.

Thanks Sky Pilot and Zephyr17. I think that my CPAP is exactly the same as the one in the picture you sent. Should work just fine.

I use my CPAP on the train all the time, in fact a friend travels with me from time to time with his CPAP also. I use a 10 foot extension cord for most everything and also have a 3 foot one just in case. When we both travel he puts his CPAP under his bunk and I put mine on the upper step (superliner). Routing the extension cord is something to deal with though duck tape works well for this. Sometimes the head of the bed is at the wrong end for me to put the machine on the step, so I have to flip the bedding around.

I do tend to wake up during power outages, but the CPAP valves allow me to breathe just fine. I'll admit it is a bit of a start though!!

The bottom line is don't worry travel on Amtrak with a CPAP is just fine.

Thanks hessjm. That's good information to have.

I use my CPAP on the train all the time, in fact a friend travels with me from time to time with his CPAP also. I use a 10 foot extension cord for most everything and also have a 3 foot one just in case. When we both travel he puts his CPAP under his bunk and I put mine on the upper step (superliner). Routing the extension cord is something to deal with though duck tape works well for this. Sometimes the head of the bed is at the wrong end for me to put the machine on the step, so I have to flip the bedding around.

I do tend to wake up during power outages, but the CPAP valves allow me to breathe just fine. I'll admit it is a bit of a start though!!

The bottom line is don't worry travel on Amtrak with a CPAP is just fine.

I've just put the machine at the foot of the bed and used an extension cord. Obviously I'm putting it away from the side where you'd get out of the bunk. I've used it in both upper and lower berths without a problem.

I put mine at the head of the bed on the inside and blocked from my head by a pillow. Never had a problem.

I ALWAYS travel (car, plane, train, cruise ship, overnight ferry) with an extension cord and 3-way plug thrown in the CPAP bag. I usually take my battery pack (it is wonderful) and run the CPAP off it almost everywhere I travel (including Red Cross Disaster Team and all train trips since I got it) to avoid having to worry about plugging in any more. It lasts 3 full nights w/o the humidifier and 6 hours with it although I leave the humidifier home for any trip less than a week. I charge the battery pack about every other day when I use it w/o humidifier so I know I always have at least one more night of charge.

Battery pack cost me $300 (whew!) but was money well spent. High quality lithium ion battery pack so I can use it in case of power failure at home. Also charges or allows me to run any 12V device and will charge my cell phone. Comes with 12V "cigarette lighter" hole and 12V plug for it with all sorts of connectors. Nice for CPAP on train or in so many hotels where outlets are at a premium or inconveniently located. I just put the CPAP on top of it on the bed between me and the wall.

I went in for a checkup with my VA doc. He asked me about portable power for my CPAP. When I told him, he looked it up with Google and ordered one right then for himself as he uses CPAP too.

I have started making trips w/o the 110V to 12V adapter and just carrying the battery but I have never taken it on the plane. For our first plane trip (to Alaska next week) in a long time but I will leave it home as for a 3 week trip, I'll take humidifier so power supply will work best.

If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll try and find link to best deal I found when buying it. Can be bought directly from Chinese mfgr but not a bargain unless you find 9 (or 49) friends and the distributors might give you same deal for the 10 quantity.

Great idea thanks!

I put mine at the head of the bed on the inside and blocked from my head by a pillow. Never had a problem.

I ALWAYS travel (car, plane, train, cruise ship, overnight ferry) with an extension cord and 3-way plug thrown in the CPAP bag. I usually take my battery pack (it is wonderful) and run the CPAP off it almost everywhere I travel (including Red Cross Disaster Team and all train trips since I got it) to avoid having to worry about plugging in any more. It lasts 3 full nights w/o the humidifier and 6 hours with it although I leave the humidifier home for any trip less than a week. I charge the battery pack about every other day when I use it w/o humidifier so I know I always have at least one more night of charge.

Battery pack cost me $300 (whew!) but was money well spent. High quality lithium ion battery pack so I can use it in case of power failure at home. Also charges or allows me to run any 12V device and will charge my cell phone. Comes with 12V "cigarette lighter" hole and 12V plug for it with all sorts of connectors. Nice for CPAP on train or in so many hotels where outlets are at a premium or inconveniently located. I just put the CPAP on top of it on the bed between me and the wall.

I went in for a checkup with my VA doc. He asked me about portable power for my CPAP. When I told him, he looked it up with Google and ordered one right then for himself as he uses CPAP too.

I have started making trips w/o the 110V to 12V adapter and just carrying the battery but I have never taken it on the plane. For our first plane trip (to Alaska next week) in a long time but I will leave it home as for a 3 week trip, I'll take humidifier so power supply will work best.

If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll try and find link to best deal I found when buying it. Can be bought directly from Chinese mfgr but not a bargain unless you find 9 (or 49) friends and the distributors might give you same deal for the 10 quantity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back