C.Z. consist

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakmichigan

Lead Service Attendant
We will be traveling from CHI to GSC next week. Could any of you tell me if the sleepers are on the front or rear of the W.B. CZ now? They at least used to be on the rear. The S.M's sleepers used to be on the rear too, but are on the front now as of at least last month. Thanks in advance

We will be traveling from CHI to GSC next week. Could any of you tell me if the sleepers are on the front or rear of the W.B. CZ now? They at least used to be on the rear. The S.M's sleepers used to be on the rear too, but are on the front now as of at least last month. Thanks in advance
According to member riding last week, the CZ sleepers are on the rear of the train. The dorm sleeper is still on the front behind the baggage car.

Yep. It's high season, so the sleepers are at the end of the consist in case they need to add or take away a sleeper car.

Here is a recent video (July 9) showing the #5 consist, plus some private varnish blocking the view out the railfan window.

Agent (AU screen name. A. Train on YouTube) regularly posts videos of the CZ.

https://youtu.be/DOtsRRGsR8o

And #6 on June 30:

https://youtu.be/8mJ-hl7ztpY

They used to drop the 3rd sleeper car off the westbound #5 in Denver and then hook it to the back of the eastbound #6 so that sleeper was only used between CHI and DEN.

They only put the sleepers forward and behind the transition dorm during low season (winter), say late November to the following late March.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. I always travel sleeper on LD trips. I prefer for the sleepers to be on the head end instead of the rear. I guess it doesn't really make much difference. However the cars at least in my opinion seem to ride smoother with less bounce and sway when up front compared to the rear.

Three sleepers were on the rear earlier this month when I rode 6(2). And the conductor told me they could have filled a fourth if the equipment had been available.

If I look at my current TS 2016 custom train libarary, during peak season the sleepers are in the back
Or if you look at the videos published nearly daily of both trains on agents YouTube channel, you can get an even better idea of real life as the TS2016 custom train library by definition is user made and from my experience most of the simulation community is not worried about absolute accuracy in consists...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back