CA Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilovetrains

Train Attendant
I will soon be taking my first train trip on the CZ. We will board in Chicago at 2:00 pm.

My question is: What time will dinner be served. I am trying to cooridinate my schedule for that day in Chicago and need to know if we should eat right before boarding the train or not.

As a newbie, I appreciate your answers!

Generally the first seatings start around 4:45 or 5:00 PM. However there is no guarantee that you will get one of those seats. If the crew is following the SDS plan, then they will seat 8 passengers at 15 minute intervals, skipping every third interval.

So depending on which sleeping car the LSA starts in, you may or may not find the time you prefer available. And since you didn't mention if you were in a sleeping car, I should warn you that if you are in coach, the odds are that by the time the LSA gets to you, the only times left will be 8:00 PM or later.

Additionally you should know that they typically start boarding the train before 2:00 PM, especially if you are in a sleeper. If you are in a sleeper, then you must be back in the Metropolitan Lounge by 1:00 PM, as they could start boarding as early as 1:15 PM.

I will soon be taking my first train trip on the CZ. We will board in Chicago at 2:00 pm.My question is: What time will dinner be served. I am trying to cooridinate my schedule for that day in Chicago and need to know if we should eat right before boarding the train or not.

As a newbie, I appreciate your answers!

Enjoy your meal. Sometimes between breakfast , lunch or dinner you might find the restaurant like here

Last edited by a moderator:
...Additionally you should know that they typically start boarding the train before 2:00 PM, especially if you are in a sleeper. If you are in a sleeper, then you must be back in the Metropolitan Lounge by 1:00 PM, as they could start boarding as early as 1:15 PM.
Just a minor clarification. Even as a Sleeper passenger, you do not have to use the Metropolitan Lounge. There is no need to be at the station an hour ahead of departure. You can arrive at the station anytime as long as you can reach the train before it leaves. The only exceptions are if you need to check baggage or pick up your ticket. Otherwise, you just show your ticket at the gate and walk to your car and room.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops! I forgot to mention that we will be in a bedroom suite.

There are 4 of us going. Can we get a table where we can sit together?

Thanks.

Oops! I forgot to mention that we will be in a bedroom suite.There are 4 of us going. Can we get a table where we can sit together?

Thanks.
Most definitely; just be sure your car attendant AND the LSA know of your needs when you make dinner reservations. Bear in mind you might have to settle for a different time in order to seat all four passengers at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back