Calculate fare

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm working from the memory of an interpretation of earlier posts, so there are at least two chances to misunderstand.

If a Saver fare is available, Amsnag will show it. But the Saver fare is lower than the low bucket coach fare, so it would underestimate the actual cost if a traveler added two times the lowest shown coach price to the accommodation charge to get the actual charge. Did I get that right?

Typically at amtrak.com, if you enter two adults and look up Roomette price between two stations it will show the properly computed total price. So unless you are doing something out of the ordinary you neither need to know the algorithm, nor worry about doing the addition yourself. You do not have the necessary information readily available to you anyway, to pull it off.

Typically at amtrak.com, if you enter two adults and look up Roomette price between two stations it will show the properly computed total price. So unless you are doing something out of the ordinary you neither need to know the algorithm, nor worry about doing the addition yourself. You do not have the necessary information readily available to you anyway, to pull it off.
Jis, the OP was asking for help calculating roomette fares using Amsnag, which shows fares differently from Amtrak.com.

Ryan's advice is a good rough rule of thumb, but once Amsnag narrows your choices down to a specific date you still need to go to Amtrak.com for exact cost.

Roomette price plus two of the lowest bucket (not necessarily that days price) coach tickets.
If two people are traveling.
Things get even more interesting if the two are using different discounts etc. Best is to go to amtrak.com and get the real price after you have decided on which day based on Amsnag. In any case to buy the ticket you have to do that. Just because Amsnag says the fare is something does not mean you will actually get that fare.

Roomette price plus two of the lowest bucket (not necessarily that days price) coach tickets.
If two people are traveling.
Things get even more interesting if the two are using different discounts etc. Best is to go to amtrak.com and get the real price after you have decided on which day based on Amsnag. In any case to buy the ticket you have to do that. Just because Amsnag says the fare is something does not mean you will actually get that fare.
And after that, call Amtrak to actually make the reservation. That way you can request or at least know the roomette number before paying for ticket plus phone call reservations can be put on hold for 7 days.

Since I mostly don't care about Roomette number I save myself a lot of time and hassle by forgoing the last step of dealing with any human agent after what turns out often to be a long wait on the phone. i simply book it and ticket it on the web. Different strokes for different folks. :)

Thanks all for the info. First of all I was thinking it was roomette fare + 1 for total fare. That got straightened out then I was getting two different prices. one on my iPhone and a different one on my iPad. I finally realized iPhone was using RESERVED COACH price on the finale leg, while the iPad site was using BUSINESS CLASS on the finale leg adding about $80.00 to the total. Thanks!

Since I mostly don't care about Roomette number I save myself a lot of time and hassle by forgoing the last step of dealing with any human agent after what turns out often to be a long wait on the phone. i simply book it and ticket it on the web. Different strokes for different folks. :)
If you call the AGR Amtrak Guest Rewards number instead of the Amtrak.com number there is usually no wait. AGR members get call preference at least those of us that earn Select.

That's true. But I usually don't need to since I can just get it done on the Internet. I prefer not to have to talk to a human if I can just do it using automation. ;) Eliminates one point of possible confusion in the chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back