California/Oregon Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilovetrains

Train Attendant
I am riding the CA Zephyr from CHI-EMY and then we are renting a car and driving up the California Coast for a sight-seeing vacation and on through Oregon and will ride the EB back from PDX-CHI.

We are planning to take in the usual sights: Redwoods, Jet Boat Tours, Beaches, Crater Lake, & Mt. Hood.

Does anyone have any suggestions of things to see/do in Northern California & Oregon? I know there are probably many wonderful things of a lesser profile than the one we already have plans to see.

ANY suggestions would be helpful.

Ilovetrains.

Those stops are good place to do.

You can take a tour one of several dams along the Columbia River, producing electricity.

Drive along the Pacific Coast Highway 1 which is far more scenic and stopping by the quaint towns than I-5.

One place I always have found fascinating is the Tillamook Cheese Factory in Tillamook, OR. Also, the drive east from Portland along Old Highway 30 is a must-see, with several waterfalls along the way, in particular Multnomah Falls. Also on Highway 30 is the Vista House at Crown Point State Park.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have the time (and haven't done it already) the drive down Hwy 1 from SF to Big Sur is an incredible experience. A bit less than 300 mi. round trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back