California Zepher

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
up8078.jpg

Eric, you just stated that the California Zephyr was late on 7/29. First off what was the train number, was it traveling east or west? Also, on what date did it depart or arrive in either Emeryville or Chicago? I'm actually curious as to what the real reason for the delay was.

Not really guest.
According to Amtrak's monthly stats, BNSF has one of the best records for keeping Amtrak on time.
True, but the CZ spends quite a bit of time on BNSF tracks. It is not out of the question that they hold part of the fault on this case.

Amfleet said:
Eric, you just stated that the California Zephyr was late on 7/29. First off what was the train number, was it traveling east or west? Also, on what date did it depart or arrive in either Emeryville or Chicago? I'm actually curious as to what the real reason for the delay was.
Aloha

The Amtrak train status shows:

Emeryville, CA

9:35 AM

7/29/04 9:35 AM

* Departed on time.

Chicago, IL

3:32 PM

(5:44 AM)

* Estimated arrival: 14 hours and 12 minutes late.

* As of the last report at 11:55 AM, at Denver, CO, it was running 16 hours and 17 minutes late.

The times listed are local to the city/state under which they are listed.

The above was copied from the site, I am wondering what hapened. Later I noticed that train 6 leaving EMY was also in Denver. Not as of today, Did the next days train pass the prior train or has the Amtrak site hicuped?

Mahalo

By the way nice pictures.from the guys

Aloha

Here is a capture of this morning's train status window.

Departure/Arrival Information

Departing Emeryville, CA and Arriving Chicago, IL

Service Station Scheduled Actual (Estimated) Status

Arrival Departure Arrival Departure

6 Emeryville, CA

9:35 AM

7/29/04 9:35 AM

* Departed on time.

Chicago, IL

3:32 PM

8:29 AM

* Arrived 16 hours and 57 minutes late.

The times listed are local to the city/state under which they are listed.

Anybody know what happened?

Amfleet said:
Well it was UP that caused the Zephyr to be over 17 hours late. There was a freight derailment west of Denver.
Er, try 5 different derailments. UP put 5 trains on the ground on July 30th/31st., although I'm not sure if all the derailments were on the line that Amtrak uses.

I do know that at least one Amtrak train received a UP pilot crew, which means that they took a detour from the normal route.

AlanB said:
Amfleet said:
Well it was UP that caused the Zephyr to be over 17 hours late. There was a freight derailment west of Denver.
Er, try 5 different derailments. UP put 5 trains on the ground on July 30th/31st.,
Aloha

Is that any way to run a railroad. B) And dosent UP stand for up not down on the ground. :lol: And if they keep droping the freight how will they make money.

Eric

And I was upset at 6 hour delay and poor travel substitute due to missing connections. I rode the Z to Chicago and I hope that since then they fixed the electrical as it was hack sawed and duct taped in Sacremento after we had a fire what an excuse for transportation excellence. I have been told that part of my trip could be refunded due to lateness but Amtrak says they due not refund anything. Anyone else ever get a refund out there???

pbhames said:
And I was upset at 6 hour delay and poor travel substitute due to missing connections. I rode the Z to Chicago and I hope that since then they fixed the electrical as it was hack sawed and duct taped in Sacremento after we had a fire what an excuse for transportation excellence. I have been told that part of my trip could be refunded due to lateness but Amtrak says they due not refund anything. Anyone else ever get a refund out there???
I received a voucher for the accomodation fee when the Cardinal had to be run without the sleeper car in mid-July due to a busted water pipe. Call the 1-800 number and ask for an agent they will connect you with the person you need to speak to.

That's the train I was on, too. While we were on it they never said anything about a derailment--only a lightning storm that slowed the signal operation. It was a pretty bad scene though. Many unhappy folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back