California Zephyr - 0540 Roomette 023, 021

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyJourneys

Train Attendant
Hi everyone,

I'm taking the California Zephyr - Chicago to Emeryville (#5) and was assigned roomette 023. I know that's in the transition car, and looked at diagrams that have it right next to the toilet. I called to see if I could switch, and they put me in 021 so I wouldn't be next to the toilet (if the diagrams I've seen are accurate).

Is the transition car with the other sleeper cars now, or is it at the other end of the train still?

Should I keep calling to see if any roomettes open in the regular sleepers?

Thanks for your help and advice.

Journey

The TransitionCar/Crew Dorm is in the Front of the Train behind the Baggage Car. The Revenue Sleepers will be on the back of the Train with them Coaches behind the Transition Car and the Diner and Sightseer Lounge in front of the Revenue Sleepers. ( thanks for the correction on the consist Istone and Steve, Brain Fart!)

Most of us have really enjoyed our trips in the Transition Sleeper, but if you feel more comfortable being in a Regular Sleeper keep checking to see if some open up,( Upstairs Roomettes are #2-#10) but you might have to pay a Higher Bucket if you don't "Modify" your rez as opposed to Canceling/Rebooking, this is a very popular route!

Call an agent to do this, you can't do it online!

Last edited by a moderator:
He will NOT be closer to the Diner and Lounge than the regular sleepers. The regular sleepers are right next to the Dining car which is next to the Lounge. The dorm-sleeper is separated from them by all the coaches.

The TransitionCar/Crew Dorm is in the Front of the Train behind the Baggage Car. The Revenue Sleepers will be on the back of the Train so you will be closer to the Diner and the Sightseer Lounge Car than the Revenue Sleepers.
Jim, typo? Dorm car will mean a longer walk for the OP. At least 3 coaches and a Lounge to get to the diner.

What time of year are you traveling? Last Winter the regular sleepers were at the front of the consist right behind the transition sleeper. I rode the CZ with this consist in January and April. I believe the sleeping cars were returned to end of the consist in May. Just saying that Amtrak has changed the consist order in the past two years usually in January to April. I'm riding the CZ again this October and hope the sleepers are still at the end of the consist. My luck is not always the best. I actually rode the CZ in January on the 2nd day of the sleepers in front consist.

What time of year are you traveling? Last Winter the regular sleepers were at the front of the consist right behind the transition sleeper. I rode the CZ with this consist in January and April. I believe the sleeping cars were returned to end of the consist in May. Just saying that Amtrak has changed the consist order in the past two years usually in January to April. I'm riding the CZ again this October and hope the sleepers are still at the end of the consist. My luck is not always the best. I actually rode the CZ in January on the 2nd day of the sleepers in front consist.
What is the main reason for changing the position of the sleepers on a seasonal basis?

It's more likely they would add/subtract coach cars from the consist in the winter.

Having the coach cars on the back of the consist facilitates that.

During high season (summer) it's more likely they would need to add/subtract a sleeper car, so they are on the end of the consist.

And thanks to everyone for your help. You're always my go-to place for train questions. :)

Calling very early in the morning gives you the best chance, since space gets dropped by the computer system in the wee hours of the morning.

What time of year are you traveling?
I'm traveling in a few weeks (August). If the transition car is at the front, should I call periodically to see if there are cancellations in the regular sleepers?
Instead of calling regularly, you can ask to be placed on the waiting list. I did this recently and it worked out very well. I got a call back from Amtrak within a few days .

I'm traveling in a few weeks (August). If the transition car is at the front, should I call periodically to see if there are cancellations in the regular sleepers?
Instead of calling regularly, you can ask to be placed on the waiting list. I did this recently and it worked out very well. I got a call back from Amtrak within a few days .
I just realized on my trip coming up(Empire Builder) I was in the transition car by the bathroom! I called and am on the wait list for room change,wish me luck!!!

One benefit of traveling in the transition car: On at least some trains, you'll find coffee available all day, depending I guess on the preferences of the crew members sharing that car.

I just realized on my trip coming up(Empire Builder) I was in the transition car by the bathroom! I called and am on the wait list for room change,wish me luck!!!
Why? That's an excellent room for the Empire Builder trip, hopefully you don't get switched to the Portland Sleeper ( #27/#28) on the end of the train or even worse,a downstairs rooomette! (#11-#14)

Why? That's an excellent room for the Empire Builder trip, hopefully you don't get switched to the Portland Sleeper ( #27/#28) on the end of the train or even worse,a downstairs rooomette! (#11-#14)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back