California Zephyr #6, 9/8/15

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The report here is that the heritage baggage car had an electrical problem, so a Viewliner II baggage car that had been in the yard for crew training was pressed into service to replace it. This makes it the first California Zephyr to have a new Viewliner baggage car in revenue service.

I was on the #5 the day before and it was the oldest bag I had ever seen. The Us Postal service lettering was plain to see. That is old

I was on the #5 the day before and it was the oldest bag I had ever seen. The Us Postal service lettering was plain to see. That is old
I saw that train with baggage car AMTK 1730. First built as a coach in 1961 according to what I've found online. That makes it one of the newer heritage baggage cars. Most of the ones I've looked up the past several months have a build date in the 1950s.

Here's a video of Amtrak #6(08) shot at Fraser, Colorado by YouTube's Michael DeMarco. The description says it left two hours and thirty-seven minutes late, so it was able to make up an hour from its initial delay.

It's hard not to be snarky about this. I mean how could it possibly be pressed into service without undergoing another year's worth of whatever the cars that were reported heading west months ago have been undergoing.

Those cars have been in service for several months now, and the empire builder has been running with one every day since June when I reported them going into service on that route.

#6(08) was back down to three and a half hours late when it stopped in Ottumwa, Iowa.

For some reason I have not been able to log in. I was on that train and real the post in Lincoln. I raced to the head end and took pics in Omaha. Unfortunately I am using the Kindle at the Doctor's and the pics are at home. If I can log in from there I will post them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back