California Zephyr Derailment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

manchacrr

Lead Service Attendant
Yesterday's westbound CZ derailed in Denver.

Link: California Zephyr Derailment

DENVER -- An Amtrak train that left Chicago Friday derailed Saturday morning in Denver, causing long delays for the 177 passengers and 12 crew members on board. People waiting to embark the California Zephyr also waited for hours at Union Station in downtown Denver. Amtrak spokesman Steve Kulm says it happened about 8:40 a.m. near 26TH Ave. and Arkins Ct.

A baggage car and an employee dorm car jumped about a foot off the tracks when a piece of rail broke. At least one employee was in the dorm car when it derailed, but no one was hurt. Kulm says the train was travelling at a low speed as it transitioned from a main line to the yard track.

"All of a sudden I heard this loud bang. And saw the baggage cart swinging back and forth, come off the tracks. It went about 100 feet with it dragging it, before they stopped," says train enthusiast Phil Hedges. He was taking photos when the California Zephyr suddenly departed from its scheduled route. "They said it derailed -- lots of damage. They had to replace cars," says Rachel Eisele of Cedaredge, who had been waiting to depart to Grand Junction since 7 a.m. "We are waiting for my mother-in-law. She is coming in on the train from Burlington, Iowa," says Jessica McCane of Aurora. They had also been waiting as long. "She said they are maybe half a mile from here," says McCane.

They had travelled hundreds of miles--only to stop just short of their destination where they'd wait for two-and-a-half hours. "You can see the car derailed about a foot off the rail," says stranded passenger John Merenda, of West Bloomfield Michigan, visiting his son in Littleton. But at last, after a weary day of waiting, the train pulls into the depot about 11:30 a.m. "It was long. It was a lot of anticipation because I was so close to home--but not quite here, " says Tesia Kolodziejczy, coming from college in Illinois for the holidays.

For some, the derailment meant disappointment. "I missed my grandson's first program at preschool. That was kind of hard. And my daughter left here to go watch it 'cause we told her to go," says Debbi Melaragno visiting from Cleveland, Ohio. "They had to shut the power off and everything, bathroom and all," laughs Janice Ledbetter.

It took crews about six hours to upright the two derailed cars back to the tracks. It took crews even longer to repair the rail. As of 6 p.m. Saturday, they were still working on it. But by noon, the California Zephyr was again headed west.

Last edited by a moderator:
Second time this train has derailed in this location this year...

2011 has not been a good year for the California Zephyr. :(
Amstatus map shows the 12/17 #5 out of DEN 6 minutes late, the 12/16 one arriving 1120, departing 1200, and the 12/15 in at 1156, out at 1205 (actually making up time FMG/DEN). Nothing in trainorders about this. Just curious. Also Union Station hasn;t been in use for some time. ?

As mentioned in the article, they were in the yard, so they must have had cranes handy. That, and the abundance of rails in a yard could have had the train on a different switch in no time. They did say they were still working on the rail some 9 hours later.

Also Union Station hasn't been in use for some time?
Amtrak moved out of it in 2010? Going to the official station remodel website there has been a whole heck of a lot of digging going on, and the boarding platforms and tracks are GONE. Hopefully they don't have any delays and will move back from their current AmShack and into Union Station on schedule in 2014 (but will still have to deal with the crappy switch yard that seem to cause all these derailment issues.)

2011 has not been a good year for the California Zephyr. :(
Amstatus map shows the 12/17 #5 out of DEN 6 minutes late, the 12/16 one arriving 1120, departing 1200, and the 12/15 in at 1156, out at 1205 (actually making up time FMG/DEN). Nothing in trainorders about this. Just curious. Also Union Station hasn;t been in use for some time. ?
Its true that Union Station is "out of service" until at least 2014! The "Temporary" Station in the old Lightbulb Building is nice enough as these things go, but you have to cross a heavily traveled street to get to the Platform and the Trains! Ive seen people almost hit crossing this road :eek: , lots of people in Denver must have learned how NOT to drive from the Idiots in Austin!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Its true that the tracks in the yards are in very rough shape, the backup move through the yard into the station is very slow and rough!!! :wacko:

Second time this train has derailed in this location this year...
Thank goodness for indemnity agreements. It would be terrible if the freight railroad was ever forced to get their yard in proper working order.
Or a problem with Amtrak's equipment or the way the reverse push around the tight turn was being conducted caused the derailment. Fixing the tracks after the derailment is the owner-railroad's cost even if Amtrak is at fault and causes the damage. It works both ways.

Or a problem with Amtrak's equipment or the way the reverse push around the tight turn was being conducted caused the derailment. Fixing the tracks after the derailment is the owner-railroad's cost even if Amtrak is at fault and causes the damage. It works both ways.
I was not aware that there was a long history of Amtrak equipment routinely destroying properly maintained switches, but I suppose it's possible. It would seem that indemnity agreements would "work both ways" between owners of relatively similar route miles and fleet size, but would not seem to work nearly as well when implemented between an owner with a relatively massive route network and an owner of a relatively tiny route network, as is the case with Amtrak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back