California Zephyr discussion 2023 Q4 - 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did anyone see the Eastbound CZ roll through Trukee this afternoon with 4 locomotives? Looked like there were two older locomotives at the front, and then two newer ones right behind them. Based on the color schemes it looked like two GE Genesis' and two Siemens Chargers.

On a related note, does anyone know why the Eastbound CZ isn't stopping in Trukee now?

I've noticed over the past month that the Zephyr has been keeping better time, I wonder if both BNSF and UP got a talking-to about freight delays....

Good morning to all, noticed 5(12) is delayed between Glenwood Springs and Grand Junction, more rockslides? Departed Glenwood 4:22 late, has not made it to GJT yet, showing 10:54 late so far

Good morning to all, noticed 5(12) is delayed between Glenwood Springs and Grand Junction, more rockslides? Departed Glenwood 4:22 late, has not made it to GJT yet, showing 10:54 late so far
Rock slide followed by crew time-out followed by engine issues. UPs closest available engine to come help was sent from Denver. They'll pick up a 2nd one in SLC

Clearly more went sideways, now 26 hours late and 5(13) right behind it. Almost surprised they didn’t connect them, although that would create longer stops. I am sure this will effect 6(15) as no consist is in Emeryville, correct?

Clearly more went sideways, now 26 hours late and 5(13) right behind it. Almost surprised they didn’t connect them, although that would create longer stops. I am sure this will effect 6(15) as no consist is in Emeryville, correct?
It had to sit in the station it was stopped at till they could get the UP engine from Denver to them.

Our 5 is delayed. It was all lined up boarding sleepers, they discovered no fuel. So it unloaded and left back to the yard to fill up, maybe 45 minutes ago. Fuel is #2 on the checklist to leave the yard.

Last edited:
Our 5 is delayed. It was all lined up boarding sleepers, they discovered no fuel. So it unloaded and left back to the yard to fill up, maybe 45 minutes ago. Fuel is #2 on the checklist to leave the yard.
Reminiscient of my recent trip on 5 when they discovered just before departure the horn didn't work. Departure was 4 hours late due to that fiasco. Even the conductor told me it was ridiculous they didn't check that in the yard.

Wow. Obviously no excuse for that kind of mistake. Of course unfortunately now I’m sure there’s very little accountability since it’s so hard to get people.

Reminiscient of my recent trip on 5 when they discovered just before departure the horn didn't work. Departure was 4 hours late due to that fiasco. Even the conductor told me it was ridiculous they didn't check that in the yard.
This happened to me on a Northeast Regional, but they didn't discover the broken horn until after we pulled out of New Carrolton. We had to back all the way into Washington Union Station at about 10 mph, then they had to find a new motor for us. My 40 minute WAS-BAL trip took several hours. At least they didn't have to worry about an empty fuel tank. :)

I'm going to be on the CZ in a few days, getting off in Emeryville. I want to take the Amtrak bus connection to San Francisco, specifically fisherman's wharf. I know the bus used to go there but from what get with recent online searches I'm not sure where it stops now - do any of y'all know?? Some searches, even on the Amtrak site, say there's a stop at fisherman's wharf, another says it only has one stop in town. I could take an Uber I guess, but I'd like to take advantage of the bus. Appreciate any updated info anyone has!

I wasn't watching too closely, after the BNSF derailment west of Denver did they end up turning both #5 and #6 around?

There's also only 1 #6 showing on the map right now. Was one cancelled? It's hard to see alerts these days with Twitter requiring viewers to log in.

I wasn't watching too closely, after the BNSF derailment west of Denver did they end up turning both #5 and #6 around?

There's also only 1 #6 showing on the map right now. Was one cancelled? It's hard to see alerts these days with Twitter requiring viewers to log in.
Both trains were turned around. That’s probably why neither are showing on the map.

I'm going to be on the CZ in a few days, getting off in Emeryville. I want to take the Amtrak bus connection to San Francisco, specifically fisherman's wharf. I know the bus used to go there but from what get with recent online searches I'm not sure where it stops now - do any of y'all know?? Some searches, even on the Amtrak site, say there's a stop at fisherman's wharf, another says it only has one stop in town. I could take an Uber I guess, but I'd like to take advantage of the bus. Appreciate any updated info anyone has!
555 Mission Street :)

Did you include the bus on your reservation? If not, you need to add it. I believe it's only available for those with reservations,

THey were showing a tanker train derailment in Gilpin CO, on the news. It looked really bad and no casualties but the tracks looked really torn up to me.

Back