California Zephyr discussion 2023 Q4 - 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both 5(25) and 6(25) are cancelled "Due to a high amount of locomotives needing maintenance work done at both Oakland and Chicago"
OK – here is a completely irrational and downright nuts take - but I swear it's true and not a conspiracy theory!

The San Francisco 49ers found out that I (IndyLions) am undefeated as a Lions fan attending Lions away games this year riding Amtrak. I was all scheduled to take the ultimately canceled Train #5 to the bay area to watch my Lions play the 49ers in the NFC championship.

The 49ers pulled some strings, and convinced Amtrak to cancel the train. Or, in an even more dastardly move – they put sugar in the fuel, and caused enough locomotive issues leading up to the 25th that they forced Amtrak's hand.

Of course, by now, you know the result. My Lions collapsed in the second half blowing a 24-7 lead, completely due to my mode of transport to the West Coast - which was a dreaded airplane.

So if you are traveling on the eastbound Zephyr today (29th), you may find a crestfallen Detroit Lions fan somewhere in the lounge or maybe the diner. That would be me.

Sigh...

OK – here is a completely irrational and downright nuts take - but I swear it's true and not a conspiracy theory!

The San Francisco 49ers found out that I (IndyLions) am undefeated as a Lions fan attending Lions away games this year riding Amtrak. I was all scheduled to take the ultimately canceled Train #5 to the bay area to watch my Lions play the 49ers in the NFC championship.

The 49ers pulled some strings, and convinced Amtrak to cancel the train. Or, in an even more dastardly move – they put sugar in the fuel, and caused enough locomotive issues leading up to the 25th that they forced Amtrak's hand.

Of course, by now, you know the result. My Lions collapsed in the second half blowing a 24-7 lead, completely due to my mode of transport to the West Coast - which was a dreaded airplane.

So if you are traveling on the eastbound Zephyr today (29th), you may find a crestfallen Detroit Lions fan somewhere in the lounge or maybe the diner. That would be me.

Sigh...
Don’t know whether to laugh or frown. ;)

Sigh...
I see your train will be terminating at Denver tonight due to a serious accident east of Denver involving 6(28). :(

Sigh...
I’m glad you cleared that all up. It takes the pressure off of Dan Campbell

It looks like there were some additional cancels based on not having equipment to turn? Amtrak was replying to people this morning on the Alerts account on Twitter, but I couldn't piece together the entire picture.

It looks like there were some additional cancels based on not having equipment to turn? Amtrak was replying to people this morning on the Alerts account on Twitter, but I couldn't piece together the entire picture.
Most likely. They lost 2 engines and the passenger cars may be impounded for investigation or at least have to be inspected for roadworthiness.

The engines may very well be written off. The cars are probably a similar situation to the Moorpark incident last year with the Coast Starlight. It will probably have a short and medium term impact on capacity but long term they should all be back in service in a period of months.

I guess I should have asked if EB or WB would provide better daytime views in September - November since that is the time period I am looking at

Not sure of the exact timeframe ... trying for October

I guess I should have asked if EB or WB would provide better daytime views in September - November since that is the time period I am looking at
Once upon a time Google Earth (I think it was) had a feature that would allow selection of date and time to see what it would look like at various times.

Can't seem to dredge it up now, but perhaps someone else knows how.

Both are great, but I prefer West bound. Reasons:

Day 2 - Wake up outside of Denver, spend all day in Rockies.
Day 3 - Wake up in the desert and then thru Donner Pass, and then down the east side of the Sierra's

Going Eastbound, you risk the train running late and missing the Rockies.
You could have delays either direction. The other day we got held up on the west bound tracks for 4 hours because UP broke a rail in the Moffet tunnel. Sadly, we missed the entire Genwood Canyon as it was long dark before we got there :(.

Which direction gives the best views on the Zephyr ... EB or WB?
Either direction will work. Just as long as you're making the travel between Grand Junction and Denver part of the trip. Everything east of Denver is pretty irrelevant and many people will fly to/from Denver to skip it.

I've taken it 3 times now in the last month. Both have some distinct advantages. If you're taking the east bound, east of Grand Junction you will hit the Glendwood Canyon. This is a particularly scenic part of the ride before you follow the Colorado river further into the mountains. These parts are particularly unique as much of it is only accessible via train, or river rafting. After you hit Granby you'll be following I40, till you hit Winterpark and then the Moffet tunnel. It is at this point, if you're running late it will be getting dark.

The big disadvantage going east is that if the sun goes down, you can easily miss the final part as you make the approach to the Big 10 curve which has multiple tunnels and rigelines you pass through before coming to the overlook of Denver.

Going west, you will be guaranteed to see all of that ending, unless the train is delayed by 8 hours or more. That being said, as I already mentioned, even getting delayed by (only) 4 hours means you will miss out on a lot of the canyons at the end of the trip near Grand Junction. This may not matter though because many people get off in Glendwood Springs which is before that.

Personal take, ride it both ways!

Back